Passive Team-ups?

It might be neat if passive abilities could be added to team-ups. I'm thinking if you had them equipped they would be used in the battle you had them equipped in and would go away after that fight... And maybe they wouldn't ever be randomly selected? Or maybe at least not randomly selected if you had nothing selected and only as suggested possibles before you finalized?

Comments

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    So you really want to fight an opponent with a Peggy Yellow team-up?
    Or a Medusa yellow?

Passive abilties are balanced around the fact that they are free but cost you an active ability slot.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well the Peggy one clearly wouldn't be applicable, since it relies on her health, which wouldn't exist. Same with any of the self-healing passives, or passives that are part of another, active power. Actually... the list is probably not that long...

Raging Tempest
    Bring Out the Best
    Master of the Fantastic
    Psychic Convergence
    Coordinated Tactics
    Everyone With Me
    Flames of the Faltine
    Resolute Queen
    Welcome to the Team
    Opportunity
    Unbreakable
    The Bloodlust/The Hunger
    Entanglement
    Redwing
    Dormammu's Aid
    Supersonic
    Arcane Incantation
    Psychic Feedback
    Aerial Avenger
    See the Math of It
    Master Plan
    That Buzzing Sound
    Adamantium Bones
    Pheromone Rage
    Speed Shot
    Spider Sense
    Lunacy
    The Thirst
    Mischief
    Energy Manipulation
    Insult to Injury
    Exquisite Technique
    Alien Instincts
    X-Enforcer
    Court Death
    Gamma Ray Experiment
    Spirit of Wakanda
    Can't Seem to Miss

Ok, it's kind of long.

I see two three four many issues with allowing this (coding issues notwithstanding).

A) Active team ups still need AP to be gathered for them, which you can only spend on one team-up (at a time) after which the team-up is spent. The passive ability would be active all the time (for the one match) which greatly lowers the opportunity cost of taking it

B) Can you imagine the complaints from people who "lost" a passive team up due to a game crash (real or not)

C) This would be worth WAY more to the AI than it's worth to a player under reasonable circumstances. That AI team was only going to play 1 match anyways.

D) I haven't thought it through, but its entirely possible that having access to 3 additional passive abilities would break some teams so badly that there would never be a reason to play anything else. Entire alliances would be formed for no reason other than to feed these three passive abilities as team-ups to players willing to win at any cost. Let's take a Medusa/Carnage/Carol team, and add Master of the Fantastic, Coordinated Tactics, and... That Buzzing Sound. I don't know. Sounds busted. Heck, even Pheromone Rage would probably be good enough.

So yeah, I agree, I thought about this one and it did seem fun, but I don't think it would be very good for the game overall.