Double of zero is still zero

Options
Houdin
Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
So, being as I really like this set in paper magic and was really excited for it in mtgpq I decided today to buy some of the double chance premium packs.

7 packs opened
Masterpieces 0
Mythics 0
Rares the seven guaranteed only.
New to me cards 2 both commons.

I'm sure I will now here the statistics. That although this is on the very low side its still possible.

I do understand statistical analysis and although as an individual event this is true it always seems that I am on the low end.

I do track my cards and I am always on the extreme of the bell curve.

Unless I am just completely unlucky this seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

I do spend money on the game and sometimes it seems to me the more I spend the worse my drop rates become. 

Now what a great bit if code that would be for profits....hmmm

Comments

• PhoenixRisen
    PhoenixRisen Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Houdin said:
    So, being as I really like this set in paper magic and was really excited for it in mtgpq I decided today to buy some of the double chance premium packs.

7 packs opened
    Masterpieces 0
    Mythics 0

I'm sure I will now here the statistics. That although this is on the very low side its still possible.

I do understand statistical analysis and although as an individual event this is true it always seems that I am on the low end.

Unless I am just completely unlucky this seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

I do spend money on the game and sometimes it seems to me the more I spend the worse my drop rates become. 

My friend, you seriously DO have the worst luck with these things. I've opened 3 premium packs in the last week. Nothing but the compulsory rare.

I had been pulling most of my recent mythic rares from the 8-hour freebie 3 packs... until the developers killed those off. I guess this means no more mythics for us.

Well done, D3! Continue to excrete on your valued customers. *Mocking applause*
  • Houdin
    Options
    Well @Brigby what do you think?
    How should I feel about this?
    As a player who truly loves the game and still continues to support it even after the
    Prize nerf
    Qb nerf
    Booster nerf
    Event deck nerf
    Booster crafting delay

Yet every time I show my support with my hard earned money I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick over and over.

Should I seriously have 600 duplicates already in the current set and only 5 mythic 3 of which came from elite packs that I had saved for?

You play this game as well.
    How would you feel in my shoes?

Can you tell me I should be happy with this and continue to support the game?
  • Damien
    Damien Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Even if you got a guaranteed mythic every week it would take years to collect all of them. The idiotic drop rates for a game that is partly about collecting cards is beyond my comprehension. I want to spend money on this game but right now it's a complete rip off. 
  • Dave808
    Dave808 Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm right there with you buddy. I just dropped 780 gold on packs. Two 5 packs and 1 three pack. Not one mythic. Not even 1 useful rare out of 13 packs opened. This game is never getting another penny from me. I'll keep playing because of a fun game mechanic and cool people in my coalition but may God strike me dead if I spend another penny on this game. NEVER. AGAIN. 
  • Houdin
    Options
    I'm just going to bump this up @Brigby as I would really love to hear your opinion on my initial question to you
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dave808 said:
    I'm right there with you buddy. I just dropped 780 gold on packs. Two 5 packs and 1 three pack. Not one mythic. Not even 1 useful rare out of 13 packs opened. This game is never getting another penny from me. I'll keep playing because of a fun game mechanic and cool people in my coalition but may God strike me dead if I spend another penny on this game. NEVER. AGAIN. 
    I got you beat there. I have spent 2400 crystals on 8PP and have got no mythics. I even resorted to using my reward packs (that I would usually save) just because I want a single mythic for the new set. But none in there either. I did get some useful rares though. But only 2 rares in addition the garunteed in the PP's
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Houdin said:

7 packs opened
    Masterpieces 0
    Mythics 0

My friend, you seriously DO have the worst luck with these things. I've opened 3 premium packs in the last week. Nothing but the compulsory rare.

I had been pulling most of my recent mythic rares from the 8-hour freebie 3 packs... until the developers killed those off. I guess this means no more mythics for us.

@PhoenixRisen Not true. There has been players getting Mythics in the two-hour packs. That said, @Houdin you simply have had bad luck. I opened the same number of packs under the double chance offer. Got two Mythics, Ramunhap Hydra and Neheb the eternal. Received 4 duped rares and 3 new ones. But the irony was that every single uncommon and common was a dupe, some three times in one pack. But despite what I said, I have also received diddly when I got 3 premium packs when HoU  was released and saw the obligatory rares. It was not until later from reward packs did I start seeing Mythics.
  • Skiglass6
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    Houdin said:

7 packs opened
    Masterpieces 0
    Mythics 0

@PhoenixRisen Not true. There has been players getting Mythics in the two-hour packs. That said, @Houdin you simply have had bad luck. I opened the same number of packs under the double chance offer. Got two Mythics, Ramunhap Hydra and Neheb the eternal. Received 4 duped rares and 3 new ones. But the irony was that every single uncommon and common was a dupe, some three times in one pack. But despite what I said, I have also received diddly when I got 3 premium packs when HoU  was released and saw the obligatory rares. It was not until later from reward packs did I start seeing Mythics.
    This is the problem with random mythic drops. It might be better to get rid of the randomness and make it getting a mythic after x amount of packs being opened. That way no one is coming to forums talking about getting 3 mythics in a PP or getting a mythic in the 2hr free pack while others are spending money and large amount of resources and not getting mythics at all.

I have lowered my expectations about the amount of mythics I obtain since the event reward nerf. But if I can not get a mythic in what i think is a reasonable amount of time, it might be time to pack it in. Maybe this is coming from a gamer that is used to buying a game and having all the content available to be obtained. Whether that be if you are good enough or grind enough or explore enough.  The way this game is set up, one can not even spend enough to obtain all content.

I am not saying I want all the content in this game. And if anyone wants to tell me to grind for jewels, please come with the # of PP you have purchased of HOU and the amount of mythics you have obtained from said packs. 
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    Skiglass6 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Houdin said:

7 packs opened
    Masterpieces 0
    Mythics 0

This is the problem with random mythic drops. It might be better to get rid of the randomness and make it getting a mythic after x amount of packs being opened. That way no one is coming to forums talking about getting 3 mythics in a PP or getting a mythic in the 2hr free pack while others are spending money and large amount of resources and not getting mythics at all.

Supposedly the new crafting system is to "provide opportunities" to get the mythic or rares of choice... Whenever that may be.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Houdin said:
    Well Brigby what do you think?
    How should I feel about this?
    As a player who truly loves the game and still continues to support it even after the
    Prize nerf
    Qb nerf
    Booster nerf
    Event deck nerf
    Booster crafting delay

Yet every time I show my support with my hard earned money I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick over and over.

Should I seriously have 600 duplicates already in the current set and only 5 mythic 3 of which came from elite packs that I had saved for?

You play this game as well.
    How would you feel in my shoes?

Can you tell me I should be happy with this and continue to support the game?
    Hi @Houdin. I certainly understand the frustration when getting a duplicate, especially when you spent money to purchase those packs. It's something that the developers also understand as well, which is why they've placed such a priority on infrastructure and stability development, in order to ensure Booster Crafting is successfully implemented.
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    A good start would be to make it not possible to get dupes WITHIN THE SAME PAC
  • Skiglass6
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am sorry @Brigby but Booster Crafing will not fix this problem. However, I do hope that Booster crafting pans out for both players and D3. But the randomness of obtaining mythics still allows "lucky" players to still have more of a chance to a better collection for the same amount of resources as "unlucky" players. Thus allowing them to have more mythics to begin with and if mythic is/are duplicate(s), they will get more crafting tokens to either obtain more chances or specific cards (however it is decided to work)

Also sorry but I just realized you answered a different question than the original post but I already typed this so I am posting anyway.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Skiglass6
    No worries! I certainly appreciate the feedback and analysis, although my comment was more-so addressing Houdin's question regarding duplicates, rather than OP's topic of drop rates.

I really do believe Booster Crafting will help immensely with managing duplicates though, and give them drastically increased value, as opposed to just Mana Runes. 
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Brigby

On the topic of duplicates - there are few things in game that feel worse than pulling a duplicate of a card for which you paid cash. I know it's possible to do so (yeah, it's tedious and requires coding, but that's what developers do ;) ), so is there any way Hibernum can implement an exclusion along the lines of "exclude card X from pool if player purchased it"? 
  • Houdin
    Options
    Well @Brigby I will say I am thankful you replied.
    Lets just say that I truly do hope that boostee crafting is all D3 is making it out to be.

If it is it will be the savior of this game.

If however it comes out as some fear it will. Being that we will trade in our dupes for just new packs of random cards that will be just more dupes because of the drop rates, and really as the conversion rate will be lower causing a devaluation of those duplicates we will just throw away cards we paid for to obtain less and less duplicate cards. Never actually obtaining those cards we are searching for, the game will most likely come to a screeching halt.

I realize that the elite and hardcore players make up a small percentage overall, but the developers should keep in mind that these same players are rhe heart and soul of the game.
    They are also the players most likely to show their discontent vocally and prolifically all over the web.

That amount of bad press, even if its from the few will kill this game entirely.

It has happened before with niche games and I'm sure will happen again, and that would be truly a sad day for all of us who love this game so much, but we can only be pushed so far before the line in the sand becomes crossed and theres no turning back.

Houdin
  • Dave808
    Dave808 Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    Skiglass6 said:
    Dave808 said:
    I got you beat there. I have spent 2400 crystals on 8PP and have got no mythics. I even resorted to using my reward packs (that I would usually save) just because I want a single mythic for the new set. But none in there either. I did get some useful rares though. But only 2 rares in addition the garunteed in the PP's
    Wow. Yup you got me beat there. That's just ridiculous. Meanwhile a guy from my coalition spent no money at all, just opened a 3 pack for 180 gold and pulled 4 mythics. What a joke. 
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    Skiglass6 said:
    I am sorry @Brigby but Booster Crafing will not fix this problem. However, I do hope that Booster crafting pans out for both players and D3. But the randomness of obtaining mythics still allows "lucky" players to still have more of a chance to a better collection for the same amount of resources as "unlucky" players. Thus allowing them to have more mythics to begin with and if mythic is/are duplicate(s), they will get more crafting tokens to either obtain more chances or specific cards (however it is decided to work)

Also sorry but I just realized you answered a different question than the original post but I already typed this so I am posting anyway.

In all honesty, how is the "luck" factor any different from a player who plays MTG on paper? the randomness is exactly the same.
  • Skiglass6
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    Skiglass6 said:

In all honesty, how is the "luck" factor any different from a player who plays MTG on paper? the randomness is exactly the same.
    I have never played paper magic but I do think you can purchase individual cards from multiple sources and trade cards with others. Those options have not been brought to MtGPQ. 

Maybe seasoned paper magic players can tell us If you get a guaranteed mythic when you buy a big enough box of cards. 
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    Skiglass6 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Skiglass6 said:

I have never played paper magic but I do think you can purchase individual cards from multiple sources and trade cards with others. Those options have not been brought to MtGPQ. 

Maybe seasoned paper magic players can tell us If you get a guaranteed mythic when you buy a big enough box of cards. 

1. Eh, I think it as been pretty well covered that if such a trading system occurred in MTGPQ, the game will break and in favor of whales and the toxic elite. Hence D3's efforts in creating a crafting system that will implement something along those lines tat gives players who continually play to craft towards a particular card(s) that they want. 

2. As far as a single box goes, they don't. I still play and collect. So outside of buying a full box of boosters there really isn't a guarantee of getting a mythic and even then that's technically not a guarantee but definitely a higher chance based on a higher pool to draw from.