Is it time to change the start set to Kaladesh?

Options
Monkeynutts
Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
edited July 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Since the game started Origins has been the start set. The game has moved on a lot since then.
BFZ/OGW & SOI/EMN are rotating out soon in paper Magic.

Is it time to have the start set to Kaladesh instead of Origins?
The mechanics of the game are difference and cards in MTGPQ that are Origins maybe should not be integrating with Origins cards.

If this does happen, maybe have an "modern" event with the five sets about and the basic planewalkers only. This would be quite cool and keep the cards relevant.

Also Please make Kaladesh, Aether Vevolt, Amonkhet and HOU available all the time.

Is it time to change the start set to Kaladesh? 52 votes

Keep it as it is (Origins)
100%
majincobROYGBV00sjechuamixed bagHomeRnkhurramMainloop25DragonSorcererChad739speakupaskanswerbabar3355DaddystyxDologanStormcrowCorn_NoodlesLagarthaAzerackNathanyelvoodoo_gremlinGotcha617 52 votes
Time to move the start set to Kaladesh
0%

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They are bringing back the core set next year, so it would seem like then would be a good time to rotate from Origins to Core for standard. I think the original thinking was they wanted to keep origins to throw a bone to people who complain they "lost" the use of all the cards they poured money/effort into. (speculation)
  • Gotcha617
    Gotcha617 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    Options
    Origins always needs to be...if there is a card they need to keep in rotation they can program it to contain certain cards as well
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The official reason is that most of the starting cards (and walkers) that new players get are Origins.  Making it not usable would destroy them.  It is possible for the new core set to replace it, but then they'd have to re-do all of the tutorial stuff to make it reasonable
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Kaladesh has some very parasitic mechanics I'll be happy to see out of Standard - specifically vehicles and energy. Of course it will render certainly planeswalkers useless but hey, it was getting too easy winning all those UR nodes with Saheeli's ultimate.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    playing enshrouding mist can be a lot of fun
    when up against creatures much stronger
    than your little defender. players who have
    had the chance to experience it should not
    favour having it taken away from those who
    have yet to try it.

HH

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For now, leave it as Origins. There will be a new core set coming out summer of next year. I would say update the starter set to that when launches.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options

Keep it as it is (Origins).. Just as in paper magic there needs to be a base set and Origins is it. Origins is a great learning set and it still has some relevant good cards. 
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Interesting vote outcome... I would say the "No's" have it. 

Actually I like the idea of having a fresh base block (if such a thing is even needed) because I am sick of running into Gaea's Revenge that someone bought with runes back when drop rates weren't total trash.  Yet they still play the creature in every green deck whether in standard or legacy.

Anyway, the reason I think Kaladesh is a bad idea is because the block is a bit too gimmnicky with energy/overload mechanics and servos.  Also they have some way too powerful colorless creatures including Metalworks Collosus and Heart of Kiran that are just way too powerful to be permanently in standard.  I landed one and bought one and I can tell you they are in virtually every deck I run for virtually every event both in standard and in legacy.  My MWC probably needs to be reupholstered I have ridden him so much.

• Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gaes revenger, Hixus Prison Warden, Nissa Renewal. There are some pretty annoying cards, so of which work strangely well with new cards...
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    dubious challenge GR. love that combo, especially if i already have kill/disable cards prepped in hand.