New Release covers

alphabeta
alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
So lets say I finish t100 in Simulator to earn myself a Mockingbird cover - I'm pretty happy I got the new character 0/0/1

Because my alliance tries hard we also finish t100 and I can an alliance reward cover - it's a new release cover so its good - shame its same as my t100 cover so I'm now 0/0/2 can only see how good one power of the new character is which is a shame.

Next I go grind my **** off doing MR&G - and I get a progression cover for the shiny new 4* - aweso .... oh it's also purple ... really so now the shiny new character I have 3 covers for but a 0/0/3 build and no chance to experience two of her powers unless I want to drop hundreds of dollars on a RNG.

Whales are going to whale guys - would it break MPQ if you did a QoL change to ensure that t100 player, t100 alliance and progression in the subsequent event gave a 1/1/1 build - after all that's what the majority of players are going to end up don't you want us to have a chance to try all 3 powers so we maybe decide today is the day to from some $$ and chance this shiny new character with the power we are so impressed by?

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty sure that this is working as intended.  Whales are going to whale as you said but the artificial creation of lopsided builds creates the anguish that might induce players to spend to avoid wasting covers by hitting 40 packs of the PVP event. 

It's pretty standard practice for a FTP game to create exactly those types of choke points which encourage spending to get out of them.  
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    They absolutely do this on purpose, and it isn't going to change.

If it were that much easier to get 1/1/1 for a new character, you'd be less likely to push harder on top placement in PVE and any placement in PVP, which means you aren't spending HP on health packs to play competitively, nor on tokens/covers to try and pull those missing power covers.

They don't want it to be that easy, because they want to entice you to buy your way out of the problem, because that's how they make money.

Further, the artificial rarity of those covers (especially the first one, which is usually the hardest to acquire), increases the value of the reward for the player. If you come out of the release cycle with a 0/0/3, someone who worked hard for the extra covers and has a 1/1/3 will have all the powers, and a more usable character, and that's part of their reward for working so hard during the release. If the covers were more even, and you had a 1/1/1, and the person who worked hard for top placement had a 1/2/2, it wouldn't feel like as much of an advantage (and, strictly speaking for the release PVP, it wouldn't be). It's a tiny thing, and it won't matter a month out when you've both got a handful of covers for the character, but it matters a lot during that tiny release window (case in point, if it didn't matter, you wouldn't be commenting about the 0/0/3 character).

Though, as a side note, way WAY back in the day I remember a node in the PVP Season (IN the season, not Shield Simulator or the regular events, but in the season where you go to check season rewards) that had a Join Forces node that let you try out a new character (I want to say last one I played like that was Silver Surfer, but that was before I started playing competitively enough to care to keep track of such things). Getting to try out a new character was kinda fun. Unfortunately that experience is reduced to the Join Forces node in the release following the event (we'll get to dabble with Mockingbird a little in Meet Rocket & Groot). You walk a fine line with that, some people will play a new character, think they're fun, and be more inclined to pay for them, but others might play the new character and be more inclined to skip them.

I'd love the season node to come back to let us play with new 4*s/5*s, but it's a double-edged sword that they may have decided isn't worth using, you know?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back in the dark ages, when alliances were introduced, the alliance cover was the cover you got for individual top placement.
    They changed that pretty quickly.
    Made more sense back in the day - only individual T5 got all 3 covers in PVE, and only alliance t50 got the cover.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see some placement awards for members of an alliance in events. Even if it's not a cover for the new character, some ISO, HP and CP for the top placer. ISO and HP for 2-5, and ISO for 5+. I say this as someone who very rarely finishes #1 in my alliance...

I suppose you could muck with it to have yourself be the only member of a private alliance to guarantee that you get the top spot, but you'd be losing a whole lot of ISO each day with only one active member.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see some placement awards for members of an alliance in events. Even if it's not a cover for the new character, some ISO, HP and CP for the top placer. ISO and HP for 2-5, and ISO for 5+. I say this as someone who very rarely finishes #1 in my alliance...

I suppose you could muck with it to have yourself be the only member of a private alliance to guarantee that you get the top spot, but you'd be losing a whole lot of ISO each day with only one active member.
    Alliance rewards need work, certainly. I don't have a top 100 alliance and don't reaaallly want to since that requires a lot of micro managing, out of game communication, bossing people about and negative feelings (did that nonsense with WoW back in the day and ended up quitting the game because of it.)

So I'm not demanding a 4* cover with every PvE, but instead I just get an elite token. Whoopie? And in regular PvEs you need to work your butt off to get top 100 and get...one 3* cover?

Alliance rewards are waaaaay out of date.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was a bit annoyed to see the progression reward cover was also purple.  Then I checked my Meet Rocket & Groot vault, only to find that was also a purple cover ...
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also means whales can't simply spend cp to level up each covers. They have to pull tokens and try and get the other two colours first
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    This really bugged me when I saw the Rocket & Groot progression. Its definitely recent that they've changed the progression colour to the same as the covers rewarded in the previous event because I'd always end up 0/1/2 with a new release. Its a very unfair change. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a request to mixup alliance and first PVE post a new release progression rewards.  I managed to grab a t50 spot in the new release (weekend releases are the hardest for me, though I understand others prefer it, which is ok).

My alliance was t5.

And now that I've reached the 4* reward in the Rocket and Groot PVE, I've gotten my THIRD PURPLE.  

Can we at least entertain the thought of the t50 award being one color, the alliance reward being a different color and the PVE post-event progression to be the third cover?

And yes, I am aware of the progression PVP prize upcoming, but that only adds to the problem with it's reward structure.  It's why I have a 0/3/4 Vulture, a 2/5/5 R4G, and a 3/4/5 G4mora (with covers pending that I cannot use on those last two).
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just so you know there's a thread on the first page here discussing the same topic. Lots of good comments there on why they won't switch up.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blue R/G is the progression reward for the next pve, or should be anyway, so you can knock that one out at least.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just so you know there's a thread on the first page here discussing the same topic. Lots of good comments there on why they won't switch up.
    Thank you.  I must have accidentally skipped over it.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    ***Merged both threads to keep conversation centralized in one location***
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Pongie said:
    Also means whales can't simply spend cp to level up each covers. They have to pull tokens and try and get the other two colours first

You don't actually think whales deep into 5* land spend CP levelling a 4* character do you?

Seriously what do you think they do with all that HP they get from buy clubs that is essentially useless to them .... they buy 40 packs.