Rot Pharoah God - 3.3

Options
Monkeynutts
Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
Any suggestions??

I've tried Cast Out method...they dont have many creatures.
Tried card removal, but it's a losing battle.
Tried Lifelink to combat it.
Even cycle..

All lose to the direct damage from HoD and the other spells he casts + Plus he exiles your creatures and steals them....Oh and 532hp + his mana buffs on matches.

Comments

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Easy way: don't use creatures. He will not use his skill:)
    Cycling is good answer. Faith of devoted + one kill spell (just in case he use his only creature) + rest of cycling.
    Another option: regal cat + ajani unyielding 
    Creatureless ob to use his ultimate
    Discard strategy.
    On alt I use nissa3 with samut, wurmcoil engine and cultivator of blades.
    On main - Dovin energy deck or Creatureless sorin (it's boring but works). Next attempt I'll try on tezz2
    BTW there is also Gideon 3 bringing exiled creatures to battlefield
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Definitely creatureless.  I used Tezz 2 but other Black PW will work 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used a standard dynavolt deck, picking tapping 1000 times over dragging 200 times. 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    I used a standard dynavolt deck, picking tapping 1000 times over dragging 200 times. 
    ... anyone know if the exile icon on the cards themselves is working without crashing now? Dragging is definitely worse than tapping.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I thought it was established that it wasn't the tapping vs dragging, but touching the screen during a narrow window when the game would freeze. 

Tapping just hit that window more easily. I've done it with dragging too. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My freezes always occurred if I touched the screen during the period of time that the "cards in hand" window was sliding open and closed.

Anyway, I was beating 3.3 with T2 Faith cycling, but that took about 20 minutes. I switched to an Ob semi-cycling Faith deck using ultimate to supplement the damage and it went a lot faster--about 6 minutes, and far less RSI.  As others have pointed out, you simply need to not cast any creatures.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hmm he has like 3 creauters doesnt he? seen 2 gods and one other, oblelisk spider i think or was that another boss?
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    morgue427 said:
    hmm he has like 3 creauters doesnt he? seen 2 gods and one other, oblelisk spider i think or was that another boss?
    He seems actually to have only one. 3.2 is the one with the spider.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nicol Bolas's deck in 3.3

Hour of Devastation
    Inferno Jet
    Torment of Hailfire
    Swarm Intelligence
    Hour of Glory
    Kefnet's Last Word
    Hazoret's Undying Fury
    Imminent Doom
    Wildfire Eternal
    Doomfall

He only has the single creature. The rest of his deck is either direct PW damage, or built to exile/take control of creatures and deal damage to you by doing so. There are currently 4 known methods of taking him down effectively.

1. Black creatureless with Faith of the Devoted and cycling. Any black Planeswalker will work here though Ob Nixilus with his ultimate and Tezz 2 with access to New Perspectives are ideal for it. Bring 1 removal and then just focus on cycling and/or direct damage cards.

2. Red creatureless with a deck full of direct damage spells/supports. Any red Planeswalker will work here though Chandra 1 actually shines with her loyalty ability and as always, Koth and Saheeli with their mana. Bring at least 1 support removal to deal with Imminent Doom.

3. Gideon 3. Use Lifelink creatures (Cats, War Oracle, etc.) and just pump out his 3rd ability whenever Bolas exiles them. He's essentially the only Planeswalker that can face him with creatures and not get destroyed.

4. Dynavolt Tower. Just build a creatureless deck around Dynavolt Tower.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ObNix: Demonic Pact, Midnight Oil, Faith of the Devoted

dont use lost legacy or any creatures (including stir the sands or lilianas mastery)
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have been using creatureless Dovin cycling with Approach of the second sun as my damage source. Cast out takes care of his 1 creature, I have Gideons intervention to block his direct damage but that's not needed and everything else is cycling to get to more approach of the second sun. Takes 11 of them to win. Takes 15 to 20 mins. Cycling is pretty quick since there isn't any damage or summon creature animations.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options

Nissa 3 is quite effective if you pay attention to what he is casting (and you have the right cards).

If he puts that support down which makes his spells free you have to remove it, otherwise he'll chain cast.

Make sure you keep a fully charged Lay Claim in your hand in case he steals your Drake.

You should have Drake tokens + Shimmerscale Drake on your side + steal his Minotaur if he plays it.  That gives you three creatures on your side.  I noticed when he popped his ability, only the third creature (Minotaur) was exiled (bug perhaps?).

You need to get to your ultimate to buff all creatures on your side in balance.  Shefet monitor is a must for building loyalty and filling Lay Claim.

Edit:  Also, keep casting Censor to drain his first card, in order to slow him down.  I also included one of those new cycle cards that converts gems to green in order to build more loyalty.

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I used Tezz 2 with Faith/cycle.  Found that with all the life gain I didn't need any removal.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Goggles of the pyromancer + approach of the second sun with any white PW. Didn't get a chance to try it since I thought of it after the event ended, but should work wonders. Add Cast Out and Forsake the worldly and you have all bases covered.
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    octal9 said:
    ObNix: Demonic Pact, Midnight Oil, Faith of the Devoted

dont use lost legacy or any creatures (including stir the sands or lilianas mastery)
    Lost Legacy works good, I had no problem with it. If you're creatureless he only deals damage to you with Inferno Jet so it's not a problem if he gets a new hand
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    creatureless works with cycle with Faith of the Devoted and Cruel Reality..
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nahiri, A Haste support. Lifelink and/or embalm creatures
    He usually has a burst of killing then stops for a while.

It _is_ prone to bad luck, but I didn't have much creatureless damage available.
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dovin cycle worked best for me. Only creatures were from Drake Haven. Never had a problem against Bolas.

I would have preferred to use Tezzeret 2, but I don't own him yet.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I actually used a Dovin  cycle deck and had great luck with it.  I even had one creature in it.

Renewed Faith
    Hieroglyphic Illumination
    Compelling Argument
    Approach of the Second Sun
    Forsake the Wordly
    Cast Out
    Drake Haven
    Pyramid of the Pantheon (getting as many of these out helped a lot)- in one game was getting 20 mana a turn.
    New Perspective
    Vizier of the Many Faces.
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That is a great version. I'm jealous of your Pyramid of the Pantheon. My version is:
    New Perspectives
    Drake Haven
    Cast Out
    Renewed Faith
    Hieroglyphic Illumination
    Forsake the World
    Floodwaters
    Lay Claim
    Desert of the True 

Majority of the matches do not go past turn 6, even with a horrid draw.