Does it really matter when 5th clear is done?

2»

Comments

• rayisonit
    rayisonit Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Say you have a 720 point node.

After 4 clears it's worth 480.  Every hour it gains back 10.  

A)If you do your 5th clear after 8 hours, it's worth 560.  If you do the 6th clear immediately, it's worth 320.   880 points
    B)If you do your 5th clear after 16 hours, it's worth 640.  6th clear then is worth 400.  1040 points.
    C)If you do your 5th clear immediately it's worth 480.  If you then wait 16 hours, yes the 6th clear is still worth 400, same as above.  

So yes, it matters. There's a path worth the most points: B.  For casual T50 placement though, the margins aren't enough to matter most times.

This is totally wrong!

The original poster Felonius' intuition is right. I had the same thought as him and have placed top 10 with doing clears 5 and 6 much sooner than the "optimal" strategy. The only clear you need to do at the very end of the event is the last one (7 usually). If you do clear 5 earlier, then clear 6 will have more recharge time. The same recharge time that would have accrued to clear 5. The points regenerate at a fixed amount. 

Does my 6th clear get any benefit by having ~13.5hrs of recharge between 5th and 6th clears?

Yes it does.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    rayisonit said:
    Say you have a 720 point node.

After 4 clears it's worth 480.  Every hour it gains back 10.  

A)If you do your 5th clear after 8 hours, it's worth 560.  If you do the 6th clear immediately, it's worth 320.   880 points
    B)If you do your 5th clear after 16 hours, it's worth 640.  6th clear then is worth 400.  1040 points.
    C)If you do your 5th clear immediately it's worth 480.  If you then wait 16 hours, yes the 6th clear is still worth 400, same as above.  

So yes, it matters. There's a path worth the most points: B.  For casual T50 placement though, the margins aren't enough to matter most times.

This is totally wrong!

The original poster Felonius' intuition is right. I had the same thought as him and have placed top 10 with doing clears 5 and 6 much sooner than the "optimal" strategy. The only clear you need to do at the very end of the event is the last one (7 usually). If you do clear 5 earlier, then clear 6 will have more recharge time. The same recharge time that would have accrued to clear 5. The points regenerate at a fixed amount. 

Does my 6th clear get any benefit by having ~13.5hrs of recharge between 5th and 6th clears?

Yes it does.

@rayisonit I hate to break it to you, but you are the one who is completely wrong.  I thought the same as you until I sat down and ran the numbers side by side. Check out this post
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/710872#Comment_710872
    In it @aa25 shows exactly why the way to get the highest score is to put as much time as possible in between clears 4 and 5. 
    The 6th clear does benefit if it has a longer recharge, but the 5th clear suffers more than the 6th benefits. So you have a net loss.  

Personally, I only crack into the t100 every once in a while because I don't have the time to play optimally, but I have wondered about the cost/benefit ratio of waiting to clear a node for more points vs. running out of time to play any nodes.  I do the 4 clears as quick as possible then switch over and clear DDQ or PvP for a couple hours then come back and do a 5th round of clears, and a 6th if I have the time.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:
    Is this new? I thought you should do the first 4 clears as quickly as possible, then wait until the final hour, or as late as you were comfortable leaving it, to do clears 5, 6, & 7...
    That's optimal strategy, yes.  As Alexis said, I just put a few examples out there with simpler math to show the difference in end result if you clear at different times that aren't optimal.  

I can see how my last sentence was confusing...I meant of the 3 examples I gave, one resulted in the most points, which is letting the 5th clear recharge longer than the other two.   Of course leaving it for as long as possible is where maximizing comes in.
    rayisonit said:
    This is totally wrong!
    No, it's right. And you just basically repeated what I said in different words.

I've placed T10 with sub-optimal clears too. It's nice when the bracket luck is in your favor. That doesn't change the math on maximizing points.