x-force (original lineup)??

Options
why are we seeing juvenile characters, in the sense they are relatively-new entries in the Marvel universe, added to the game while many classic characters, particularly x-men/x-force (original lineup) sit on the shelves?  Is it a licensing issue?  I just can't understand why priority would be given to this mockingbird character while characters such as Cable/Bishop and Apocalypse, or Gambit, Rogue, and Nightcrawler are begging for additions to this game...I'm sure your main fan base has been clamoring for these entries for some time.

With all due respect, please apprise us of what it is that informs the decisions to greenlight a character addition to the game and or why others are not added.

Would really love to know.

thanks, in advance!

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    They need to own a license for the character to put it in the game.  I don't have the complete list, but it's clear they've got rights to Avengers, Inhumans, Spiderman (and his gallery), Agents of SHIELD, Guardians, Dr. Strange, and Fantastic Four.  They do not have the rights to X-men or "mutants", except for legacies or one-off deals.  Most of that belongs to Sony.

The rehashes and multiples are common because the IP is already owned, so there's no additional cost.  Plus the art assets are mostly recycled.  The newer cadre of characters is both "current" to attract a younger audience, as well as unburdened by the IP issues that were introduced when Marvel sold off some of its properties to stay afloat in the 90's.
  • badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    edited July 2017
    Options

Moockingbird has been around since the early 80's. Sure, she's newer than Nightcrawler, but she was introduced before Gambit, and a full decade before X-Force.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    why are we seeing juvenile characters, in the sense they are relatively-new entries in the Marvel universe, added to the game while many classic characters, particularly x-men/x-force (original lineup) sit on the shelves?

The only original member of X-Force (the original X-Men) that is missing is Angel. Otherwise we have two Scotts, two Jeans, Bobby, Hank, and Prof X.

The list of mutants and X-characters in the game is actually quite numerous. It just seems glaring because MPQ is missing some really popular characters - namely Rogue, Gambit, and Nightcrawler (edit: and Dazzler).
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You're thinking of X-Factor, not X-Force.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    tanis3303 said:
    nah--x-force was the original group with Cable, Domino, Shatterstar, etc.  sometimes there are crossovers with the group rosters for all the X-"groups."  X-factor was more an offshoot of x-men.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That's a lot of a characters for original x-force. I think boomer and Shatterstar would be great additions though.

I think cannonball would be too much like nova.

Likewise warpath too much like Collossus.

Domino would be interesting but I think she would turn out like mystique or g4mora.

Beyond x force, it's a shame on this game that archangel isn't a character in some form.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Oh, yeah-yeah-yeah. Didn't X-Force basically come from the shattered remnants of the New Mutants?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope to God they get around to Jessica Jones when Defenders comes along. Maybe a 2* Black Outfit Daredevil to go along with a 4* red armoured Daredevil.

Would be cool if they did Warriors 3 like Cloak & Dagger, switching between three power sets.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    What about strictly joke/comical characters? Spider-Ham? Throg? Deadpool the Duck? Dazzler?

How dare you insinuate that Dazzler is a joke!  ;)
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    JHawkInc said:
    What about strictly joke/comical characters? Spider-Ham? Throg? Deadpool the Duck? Dazzler?

How dare you insinuate that Dazzler is a joke!  ;)

Actually, Dazzler was intended to be a pretty serious character - I remember reading those classic X-Men when she appeared - she was one of two mutants who were very powerful and Prof X and Emma Frost (who was also a new character at the time,) were racing to recruit them both! :)

• tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tanis3303 said:
    nah--x-force was the original group with Cable, Domino, Shatterstar, etc.  sometimes there are crossovers with the group rosters for all the X-"groups."  X-factor was more an offshoot of x-men.
    No, not you...was referring to Dormmamu's post about X-Force being the original X-Men...probably should have used the quotes there eh? :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    tanis3303 said:
    tanis3303 said:
    No, not you...was referring to Dormmamu's post about X-Force being the original X-Men...probably should have used the quotes there eh? :)
    yeppers--definitely less confusing but no sweat here.  Carry on!!

cheers!
  • Dormammu
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    Actually, Dazzler was intended to be a pretty serious character - I remember reading those classic X-Men when she appeared - she was one of two mutants who were very powerful and Prof X and Emma Frost (who was also a new character at the time,) were racing to recruit them both! :)
    Absolutely. Dazzler was also a major part of the X-Men in the Siege Perilous era (I always remember it as the Marc Silvestri era) and I greatly enjoyed her presence in the book. Though he didn't create her, Claremont had a soft spot for Dazzler and it really came out in his writing.

But Dazzler was absolutely a serious character. Her 42 issue solo series was no joke, and Dazzler: the Movie was an incredible graphic novel where Allison dealt with her quest for fame and being outed as a mutant, which subjected her to 'mutie' racism - a dark thing that was portrayed very realistically in Marvel books in those days.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Isn't the Inhuman storyline a partial result of the bad licensing agreements that have plagued Marvel? genuine question. 
  • besOtrono
    besOtrono Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2017
    Options
     Mysterio     ,i want Mysterio  plz)