New MPQ Website: MPQtips.com

MPQ_Daywalker
MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker

Hi everyone. If you've been around the forums for a while, you may recognize me as the person who created and maintains the Weekly Buffed Characters listing. I've decided to go beyond that and create a new website, dedicated to all things Marvel Puzzle Quest. It's called MPQtips.com.

Our goal is to be a useful resource for players of all types — beginners, casual players and hardcore players.

• If you are a beginner, please check our progression guides.
  • If you are a casual player and just want to know which characters are most worthy of your ISO, check out our character rankings along with our news.
  • If you’re a hardcore player spending more time playing this match-3 game than you may like to admit, check out our news and recurring features, such as the Weekly Buffed Character listing, Token Watch updates and Upcoming Events.

Regardless, please check out the site and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Comments

• talleman
    talleman Posts: 445 Mover and Shaker
    Very nice. Looking forward to see your upcomming writings on every character :)
  • Bohemond
    Bohemond Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    It looks amazing. Keep up the great work.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loving it!!
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    nice site, but if i may ask, where did that character ranking came from?
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Those rankings actually seem pretty solid to me. Though I feel other lists which talk about pve vs pvp are important for competitive play. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Thank you for the time and effort, it looks like a pretty awesome resource.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    elvy75 said:
    nice site, but if i may ask, where did that character ranking came from?
    Thanks.  The rankings come from my own play with the characters.  I have all 2*s and 3*s champed (2* farm is in full effect and I have dupes of nine 3*s started, with one maxed 3*).  I have 42 champed 4*s right now and have just started dipping into 5* land, with 1 champ (Phoenix) and 1 max covered (Green Goblin).

The 4* rankings are a work in progress.  I am happy with the latest 12 rankings but the vaulted character rankings will likely change as I write them up (that's what happened with the 3* rankings as I wrote them).  I think the top and bottom characters will likely stay the same, but the middle may change up a bit.

I'll be working more on the 4* write-ups tonight; I'm curios to try out the re-worked Riri and Mordo, as that will influence how I think they rank now.

I think whether you are aiming for PVE or PVP competitive play, the gameplan should be the same right now for 4*s: champ all of the latest 12.  Because even when one doesn't work that great (Mordo) or has one power that isn't that useful (Riri) they are getting reworked soon.  There isn't one bad 4* in tokens right now, and that's awesome.  If you're moving on from 3* land, any 4* will be huge improvement to your roster.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    There isn't one bad 4* in tokens right now, and that's awesome.  If you're moving on from 3* land, any 4* will be huge improvement to your roster.
    Bwahahaha! You wrote that before today's announcement ;)
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Nice site. Bookmarking it. Also thank you for taking the time to make that site as well as maintaining the weekly buff list. 
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    thanks for the answer :)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think recommended build could be helpful in the character rankings/descriptions. I wildly disagree with the rankings but you're going go get that anywhere. Overall great resource and I appreciate the work you've done!

By the way you describe Iron Fist as the only Black battery in 3 land. And while he is clearly the best, Doom and Mystique do exist.
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Great job on the site found a lot of useful information thx 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    I think recommended build could be helpful in the character rankings/descriptions. I wildly disagree with the rankings but you're going go get that anywhere. Overall great resource and I appreciate the work you've done!

By the way you describe Iron Fist as the only Black battery in 3 land. And while he is clearly the best, Doom and Mystique do exist.
    Agreed on the fact that it seems like a nicely done resource. Also, ditto on recommended builds. And as long as we're talking about 3* Fist, it would be helpful to mention that his strike tile generation is doubled if you have 12 black AP (four tiles instead of two, six instead of three).
  • MPQ_Daywalker

I could definitely add in recommended builds. And yeah, rankings are just opinions so everyone has their own. 

Good point on IF; I've changed it to "best". Mystique's blue is so unpredictable and Doom's is cool... as long as you have blue tiles on the board to convert. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards

I could definitely add in recommended builds. And yeah, rankings are just opinions so everyone has their own. 

Good point on IF; I've changed it to "best". Mystique's blue is so unpredictable and Doom's is cool... as long as you have blue tiles on the board to convert. 
    I've gone easier on your rankings. I didn't realize that you broke up the 3* characters based on latest/vintage. I was like "how is Daredevil top 20 and Hawkeye #7!?".  Though there is no longer a distinction between latest/vintage in 3* land so probably time to combine rankings. 

I think most run Patch with 5 Green and he makes 6 strikes per, rather than 3.  I can look through the rest of the writeups when I get the chance and see if anything pops out that could be helpful.  I like when you point out particularly synergistic matchups like Stormneto and Patch/Loki. I imagine that's very helpful for new players. By the way I love Hawkeye as my third with Stormneto (My go to DDQ 2* team). Mags guarantees match-5s and Speedshot can clear waves of baddies with Windstorm cleaning up what's left. 

As a tip, I'd say that good batteries tend to be the best characters in the game because they can accelerate characters a tier above them (I.e. Rulk/Switch, Fistbuster, IM40/anyone, etc.). They get ranked highly because they still have use beyond PVE when you move past their tier. 

• MPQ_Daywalker
    edited July 2017
    I've gone easier on your rankings. I didn't realize that you broke up the 3* characters based on latest/vintage. I was like "how is Daredevil top 20 and Hawkeye #7!?".  Though there is no longer a distinction between latest/vintage in 3* land so probably time to combine rankings. 

I think most run Patch with 5 Green and he makes 6 strikes per, rather than 3.  I can look through the rest of the writeups when I get the chance and see if anything pops out that could be helpful.  I like when you point out particularly synergistic matchups like Stormneto and Patch/Loki. I imagine that's very helpful for new players. By the way I love Hawkeye as my third with Stormneto (My go to DDQ 2* team). Mags guarantees match-5s and Speedshot can clear waves of baddies with Windstorm cleaning up what's left. 

As a tip, I'd say that good batteries tend to be the best characters in the game because they can accelerate characters a tier above them (I.e. Rulk/Switch, Fistbuster, IM40/anyone, etc.). They get ranked highly because they still have use beyond PVE when you move past their tier. 

Yes, the whole progress for new players going from 2* to 3* changed mid-day Thursday with the un-vaulting... up until then "Characters in Tokens", "Characters Not in Tokens, But Can Be Obtained by Championing 2*s" and "Characters Not Currently in Tokens" made sense.

I've now updated that progress guide so it's one big long ranking.  Earlier in the weekend I changed the wording on the 4* page to refer to "vintage characters" at lower odds, instead of not in tokens.