Grocket or Riri?

Deadsider
Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
So I've wanted Grocket for a while, and he has his 14th cover dying on the vine in 20 hours. So it's the nick of time that I got the ISO to champ him. 

But.... I also have the 14th Riri, and the rework looks promising coupled with the extra covers upcoming in S6. 

Should I go for the confirmed good character or take the gamble? I've got 20 hours to decide.

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've only used them in a handful of matches.  I personally think Riri's abilities and colors fill an interesting defensive role, particularly against the newer characters.  Grocket is more offense.  Amusing and a little eccentric, but there's enough of what they do out there you have several options to fill those roles.  Plus Riri leaves sooner, so there's less chance of getting more champ levels for her.  Of course, that's an argument against if you don't care about her enough to try to get her up near your other champs from latest.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you ready have Gamora, Rocket without a doubt.
    But you're also getting 3 extra covers for Riri this Boss event. 2 weeks is plenty of time to get that ISO though 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rocket & Groot's strike tiles are quite helpful in ending matches quickly, and can be really helpful if you've got a character that can buff special tiles (e.g. Captain Marvel).

If you think you can collect enough to champ a second 4* in two weeks, I'd pick R&G.  You'll get up to three new Riri covers in Sinister Six, and another for progression in the event after.  So you could potentially get her up to 274 in that time frame even if you sell the cover currently in your queue.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Rocket and Groot. Them with Gamora and Medusa have become a go to team for me. Mostly for when I'm too lazy to think up a decent strategy for a node. They also replaced my two 5* meatshelds and Thanos team for trivial nodes. It's a lot of fun, highly recommended.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    After Peggy and Carol I see Grocket as the next must have at 370 asap.  Either Grocket or Vulture.  I lean more towards Grocket because he offers something very unique which is big damage right from the get go.  If Vulture traded yellow for various ap rather than black, I wouldn't know who to choose lol.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 290 Mover and Shaker
    I haven't used either one really, but I say Grocket.  Mainly because they're entertaining in the movies.

But, one question that you have to ask yourself:
    "You've won the boat, but you can trade it all in for the mystery box...."  Do you take the boat, or the mystery box?
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    heybub said:
    I haven't used either one really, but I say Grocket.  Mainly because they're entertaining in the movies.

But, one question that you have to ask yourself:
    "You've won the boat, but you can trade it all in for the mystery box...."  Do you take the boat, or the mystery box?
    A boat's  a boat, but the box could be anything! It could even be a boat!
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Start with Grocket. They also make a nice scarecrow, because who really wants to attack a team that starts with all that extra damage?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    Rocket and Groot. Them with Gamora and Medusa have become a go to team for me. Mostly for when I'm too lazy to think up a decent strategy for a node. They also replaced my two 5* meatshelds and Thanos team for trivial nodes. It's a lot of fun, highly recommended.
    What's good about Gamora? I'm not asking in a snarky way, btw, I'm genuinely curious. She seemed just "okay" when she came out. I assume I'm missing a trick?

I am gonna champ her regardless, because Gamora's awesome. Just wanna know what her uses are =)
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    What's good about Gamora? I'm not asking in a snarky way, btw, I'm genuinely curious. She seemed just "okay" when she came out. I assume I'm missing a trick?

I am gonna champ her regardless, because Gamora's awesome. Just wanna know what her uses are =)
    For that particular team, she'll make Rocket & Groot's strike tiles stronger.  And those strike tiles make her red hurt a lot more (since it inflicts multiple smaller quantities of damage rather than all in one go).
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:

She's not top tier but her stun is cheap and creates strikes/attacks.  Her black creates a bunch of strikes and attacks that are pretty big and occasionally can pull off a cheap easy win.  Her red kinda sucks.  She is very fun with R&G against tile movers in PVE.  
  • Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Thanks for the input guys. My 30th 4* champ is indeed Grocket, and he sure plays fun. I can probably get enough to champ Riri in two weeks, and that was good advice right there. Thanks all!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    STOPTHIS said:

Her stun is second to Iceman. It's cheap and has the added bonus of stunning a second character for 1 turn at 5 covers, while passively creating decent strike or attack tiles for each stun. Her black gives you even more tiles. And I've gotten her black passive off more than I expected to, but admittedly it was generally against goons. I haven't been making too much of her red to be honest, but it has come through in a pinch especially with Grocket's strike tiles. You know how sometimes you got a nice AoE lined up but someone in the back has a bit too much health to survive it? She's helps with that. She hit Venom while I'm hitting Rags, then Grocket's green finishes them off.

On her own, I'll admit she's not much to go crazy over, but on the right team she sings. She's kind of like Coulson in that regard. She's not someone I'd build a team around, but she's good supporting character. I expect to see her on a lot of Carnage/Medusa teams or maybe even Medusa/Carol teams in the simulator.
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Deadsider said:
    Thanks for the input guys. My 30th 4* champ is indeed Grocket, and he sure plays fun. I can probably get enough to champ Riri in two weeks, and that was good advice right there. Thanks all!
    Congrats on Grocket! Hope you have a lot of fun with them and good luck on getting iso to champ Riri.