The dynamics of PVP

Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/66447/how-low-can-you-go#latest

I linked this other thread, because it made me think of a few questions I think the savvy PVP vets will know.

Questions 1 and 2: When you retaliate against an opponent, if you were to take the suggestion and "go low", will that "low" team become the team that everyone else sees? Or are retaliations their own thing?

Questions 3 and 4: I am a 4* player that was hit by 3 550's or maybe it was 450's...I can't remember. I'm running 4* 273's. If I retaliate against this person (and most likely lose) will they get a win in their road to 40? Will they be able to retaliate against me again if I lose? 

For context, I am curious about all 4 questions. But for 3 and 4, I don't really mind throwing out a lower team than my climb team, if it helps another player to get to 40, but if there is an event I do care about placement in, I don't want to ruin that either.

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Answers 1 and 2: Other people will see the last team that you won a non-retal match with. The team you used to win the retal will be seen by that person only.

Answers 3: Not sure. People seem to say it's display bug.

Answers 4: No. The retal node shows only when a play lose to someone (either normal match or retal match).

Edit: OJSP just beat me by 2 mins.
  • Beer40
    Ok, thanks for the insight! That brought me up to a couple more questions:

1) If I'm running 280/273/271 for my climb, how low can I conceivably go to still be conceivably seen by everyone? (I don't mind adding easier points to the pool)

2) Will going lower open up lower teams to me also, so that I'm not seeing 370/370/370 for every match?

• aa25
    edited July 2017
    Beer40 said:

1) If I'm running 280/273/271 for my climb, how low can I conceivably go to still be conceivably seen by everyone? (I don't mind adding easier points to the pool)

2) Will going lower open up lower teams to me also, so that I'm not seeing 370/370/370 for every match?

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "seen by everyone". But when most people say something along that line it means you have to have a high score. Initially, you will see and only be seen by people in the same bracket who also have similar rosters (that 499 folks in your leader board). One you pass that point, you will see and can be seen by anyone in your slice who also have similar rosters to you. (this is when most people start to get a lot of hits since you move from a player pool of 500 to several thousands.) Then, there is another breakpoint when your are among the top of the slice in term of score, at this point you will see even people with lower roster than you.

2) See above. If you see 370/370/370 in a retal node, that is probably someone who breaks the second breakpoint and start to see you from way above. If it is not a retal, I am not sure why you see them. Set that aside, dropping point will make you see easier team (not 370/370/370) as long as your total pts (not wins) is similar or lower than the owners of those team.

PS1: Before click 'Post': Let see if I beat OJSP this time.
    PS2: After clicked 'Post' and refresh: Nope. He beat me again.

Edit: Clarify here and there.
  • Beer40
    aa25 said:
    Beer40 said:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "seen by everyone". But when most people say something along that line it means you have to have a high score. Initially, you will see and only be seen by people in the same bracket who also have similar rosters (that 499 folks in your leader board). One you pass that point, you will see and can be seen by anyone in your slice who also have similar rosters to you. (this is when most people start to get a lot of hits since you move from a player pool of 500 to several thousands.) Then, there is another breakpoint when your are among the top of the slice in term of score, at this point you will see even people with lower roster than you.

2) See above. If you see 370/370/370 in a retal node, that is probably someone who breaks the second breakpoint and start to see you from way above. If it is not a retal, I am not sure why you see them. Set that aside, dropping point will make you see easier team (not 370/370/370) as long as your total pts (not wins) is similar or lower than the owners of those team.

PS1: Before click 'Post': Let see if I beat OJSP this time.
    PS2: After clicked 'Post' and refresh: Nope. He beat me again.

Edit: Clarify here and there.
    I didn't know if the same people would still see me, or if I'd only be seen by lesser teams. You both did a really good job explaining it to me tho, so I think I can start to play PVP a little bit better now, rather than just going out blindly.
  • aa25
    OJSP said:
    aa25 said:
    Initially, you will see and only be seen by people in the same bracket who also have similar rosters (that 499 folks in your leader board).
    Not sure if it's different for players depending on their rosters, but we can see people from other brackets sometimes immediately when we start the game, when we get 75 pt targets.

Honestly, this is what I heard. I can't really verify it since we can't see the whole bracket. My information maybe wrong.

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Couple of points:

Brackets are just sequential groups of joiners in your slice - who is in your bracket has no bearing on who you can see. 

Also, your retal team will be seen by everyone unless it is too much smaller than your normal a team. The only difference is that whoever you are retaliating against will see whatever team you used, regardless of roster strength. Great opportunity for trolling people who hit you.