Value of season 1 rewards

Options
After the slog of the Hunt, I wanted to look at whether the marathon of season 1 is worth pursuing for the individual rewards. How hard should I push for top 5/25/50 even if there are events I don't like?

So I tried a slightly scientific approach based on drop rates and the HP price for buying an individual cover. Simplified and puts no value on the alliance Fury reward or any ISO on the basis you can farm this separately. And puts no value on the excitement and anticipation of clicking 10 times in the hope of the cover you really want (or the depression when you get 4 bagman, 3 caps and 3 hawkeyes)!

Posting in case it helps others decide how hard to push - no great surprise that the rewards are worth much more to those with less developed rosters, but who are less likely to win them icon_rolleyes.gif

Detail below, but in short I need less than 20 covers now (all 3/4*) and reckon the top 25 reward (2 x 10-pack) is worth at most 3000HP to me, or a Logan's Loonies. If the events are fun or have rewards I want in their own right, great, but if it turned into a Hunt slog I'd prefer to drop the money instead - or more likely just play a bit longer to get the covers I need.

The maths:

This has probably been done before, but based on the heroic 10-pack drop rates, for any specific cover (of the desired colour) the probability of getting what you want in a 10-pack are:
- 5% chance for each 4* cover
- 4% for each 3* cover
- 19% for each 2* cover and about a 2% chance of 2 of that cover, so let's call it 21% all up

And there are 6 4* covers (2 chars), 48 3* (17 chars) and 34 2* (12 chars), ignoring Falcon who isn't in the packs yet. And the covers after the first one can be bought for 2500, 1250 and 500 HP respectively.

A simplified way of valuing a 10-pack is to take the number of unique covers you need at each level multiplied by the drop rate and HP cost/value, e.g. for me:
- 6 of 4* covers needed x 5% drop rate x 2500 HP value = 750HP; plus
- 13 of 3* covers needed x 4% drop x 1250HP = 650HP; plus
- none of 2* covers needed x 21% drop x 500 HP = 0

So in my case the HP value is 1400 compared to the 3000 pack price. But if I needed lots more covers, then it would look much better value, particularly if I'm short of 2*. Once you need north of 30 to 35 covers you get close to the 3000 value, particularly if some are much-needed first covers.

Now in practice I know the 4* covers all come up regularly as prizes, and the current crop are not worth the 2500HP per cover so this is overstating their value. And a second pack is worth less than the first as you hopefully fill in some of the gaps in the first pack and from tourneys / tokens during the season.

Actually I've talked myself into the rewards being fairly irrelevant, but instead I'll be ruled by my competitive streak icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• No way I am going to open my packs until nick fury drops..just saying. So hopefully they aren't weird event tokens and are simply normal.heroics. (or, preferably, high nick fury chance tokens..but I don't think that is going to happen)
  • Fury's not "officially" being released until some point after this season is done.

Ice has said that all those purple covers of Fury are effectively a teaser for when he is eventually released.

If you're banking those heroic tokens until then, you're probably going to wait a few months.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    Fury's not "officially" being released until some point after this season is done.

Ice has said that all those purple covers of Fury are effectively a teaser for when he is eventually released.

If you're banking those heroic tokens until then, you're probably going to wait a few months.

If by few, you mean 1...then maybe. More? Don't think so. If I am wrong..o well. I only need bp, ht, and falcon covers atm...the likelihood of getting one of the 3 is low, and I don't plan to lvl any of them beyond my usual 50-60 for 3***. Rather save the token lump for a better chance at something I want.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, looking at the math like that, It'd probably be a net loss to waste HP shielding every tourney, especially since most of the covers I'm missing are for characters I don't care about like psylocke and DD.

In fact, I'm not sure it'd really even worth pushing more than usual in general
  • Teke184 wrote:
    Fury's not "officially" being released until some point after this season is done.

I doubt it'll be a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Fury's release be at the end of May / early June.