What higher level variant's powers seem worse than their lower counterpart?

Options
Wumpushunter
Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
Maybe its because I have not had 3 star mags very long but 2 star magneto just seems like he has better power set to me.

Comments

• Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Maybe its because I have not had 3 star mags very long but 2 star magneto just seems like he has better power set to me.
    3* mags in my opinion just suffers from his colour set, not so much from his power set.

Meaning that there are far better yellow/blue/red characters in 3* land. Or even when we ignore yellow since it's support, better blue/red users.

1* spiderman has a better power set than 2*, 3*. I cannot comment on the 5* spidermen though
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not worse as such, but I do wish there was a higher tier version of 2* Storm. The 1*/3* version was never a staple of my roster in the same way.

Also, apparently 5* Steve is kinda bad as 5* go. I've never used him, so I can't say for sure, but given how much I like his 3* version, that's disappointing.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    X-force Wolverine's powers seem not as good as his 2* or 3* versions. His healing isn't passive, his nuke whilst good relies upon the opposition gathering their strongest colour and his green is terrible, low damage, random placement and the other 2 at least give strike tiles. I know he was nerfed so don't know what he was like before but even champed he isn't great.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    X-Force Wolverine was f@"+ing ace pre nerf. They could probably reverse the nerf now though and he would be not overpowered (and maybe even underpowered) due to power creep in recent 4*s
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    They should do something. Even if they left him as is but at least gave him a decent Health boost to compensate for his risky yellow, it would be a start. Or make his yellow like 3* R&G. Or make it cheaper or only have to last 1 round before it heals. I dunno, something!
  • DAZ0273
    Options

And this isn’t necessarily a lower tier having better powers thing, so apologies if is considered off topic but wouldn’t it have been nice if when they did 4* Cage & Fist that they had reversed the 3* synergy colour generation? So Cage would generate black for Iron Fist this time around. A best buddy returning the favour!

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know about better but I certainly prefer playing 3* cyclops to 4* cyclops.
    2* storm is probably marginally better than 3* storm.
    4* XFW is worse then pretty much ever other wolverine.
    3* IF seems to be better than 4* IF based on limited use with him since championing him.
    I think 2* Captain Marvel is better than 3* (but 4* blows both out of the water)
    2* Bullseye is better than 3* IMO, but neither is worth writing home about so meh.

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Aside from Speed Shot, I'd much rather have 1* Hawkeye's power set than the 2* version.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    broll said:
    2* Bullseye is better than 3* IMO, but neither is worth writing home about so meh.
    I used to run 3* Bullseye with 3* Luke Cage and Black Panther for DDQ (with Bullseye highest leveled among the 3), and he was absolute beast. He tanked 4 colours including team-ups, and there's always a ready made protect tile for him to fire his cheap purple. Once I flood the board with strikes one time it's effectively game over for the enemy. Yeah I'm a huge supporter of 3* Bullseye, though if not for vaulting leaving him in the dust behind Cage and Panther I'd probably still be using him regularly in DDQ and not have found my new team of Patch Thanos and Daken. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    3-star Magneto is a rock star. His red does fair damage and really sets up board shakers by getting rid of all those pesky TU tiles. His blue is a great nuke and a decent board shaker. His yellow can quickly shut down any incoming match damage and serves as one of the best defensive tile spammers out there (too bad Wasp's tile-flipping power is also yellow, or they'd be a menace together). One team I go back to regularly is Cmags/XFW/Loki. That team punches far beyond their level. I can't remember the last time I used 2-star Magneto outside of a required node.

I agree that 2* Carol > 3* Carol

I don't agree that 3* Storm < 2* Storm (3Storm's black is just too nasty)

Of all the Wolverine's I think the 2-star version has the best powers, but every Wolverine can be effective.

I'd give up my 5-star Iron Man and my Hulkbuster before I'd give up IM40.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I also prefer 3* Falcon to 4* Falcap, especially when paired with Wasp. Once his purple is fired and Wasp uses her yellow, it can go very quickly.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    X-Force Wolverine's non-passive heal is definitely worse.

I don't like 5* MCU Spidey's blue. It does team stun, which is nice, but it removes web tiles when it does it. Can't be removing web tiles from the board while causing no damage. It does have a not-listed-as-passive element of adding web tiles when there are fewer than 4 on the board, but when you pair him with another web tile generator, like Miles, it becomes moot. It's also one AP more expensive than 3* Spidey's stun that adds web tiles instead of taking them away.

I would rather have 3* Iron Fist's black than the 4* version. Might be controversial, but there are so many ways now to boost that tile, and so many other characters with a better active black than 4* IF, I like the 3* version better.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    3* Magneto suffered from a massive nerf in the first year of the game. He used to be really powerful.
    He used to be too powerful and painfully annoying to fight. His red used to cost 2 AP. I want you to imagine playing the node Business Partners (the Mag/Hood one) and try to stop Mags getting 2 red. Basically impossible, since even if he didn't match it, Hood would likely steal it. The end result being Mags would do that red animation every single turn, leading to cascades and more pain. If you thought Carnage's passive was annoying...
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

And this isn’t necessarily a lower tier having better powers thing, so apologies if is considered off topic but wouldn’t it have been nice if when they did 4* Cage & Fist that they had reversed the 3* synergy colour generation? So Cage would generate black for Iron Fist this time around. A best buddy returning the favour!

C4ge may not directly feed 4ist AP, but he does passively generate protect tiles, which 4ist turns into strikes with his black nuke. So there is some "returning the favor" going on there, just in a different way. 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    3* IF seems to be better than 4* IF based on limited use with him since championing him.
    heeeehhhhhhhh, not so sure about better, they're both pretty good. 3* is probably the best black generator in the game, strike tiles are OK/great if you can pop out 6 of them, the atk tile helps out nicely. He's not exactly a pure support or pure damage.

IF 4* offers a bit of support and some AP generation + big damage. His blue makes a pretty strong strike tile and if you pair him with someone else who makes them, you can chain into his green pretty fast which hits pretty hard considering the cost. His blue also gives you the bonus of fortifying pretty much all of your strike tiles for 6 AP, that seems underwhelming but they'll live much longer.

Black is a good nuke, even at 3 covers it still hits hard, the conversion of protect tiles is gimmicky but its fun.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5* Star-Lord is the obvious answer for me.  If I could get a 5* Lazy Clone of 4* Star-Lord, I'd ... well, I'd still be pulling Latest tokens, for starters.