4* bonus characters bug?

joaoleal
joaoleal Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
Hi, My last 4 bonus 4* (which are extremely rare) have been the same red cyclops cover (for which I already have 5) is this just being unlucky or potentially a bug? 

Comments

• MpqTron
    MpqTron Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I wouldn't be bonus hero any 4 star that has 5 in one cover. They are too rare to waste 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    MpqTron said:
    I wouldn't be bonus hero any 4 star that has 5 in one cover. They are too rare to waste 
    This is my plan too, but it won't be long before that's not really viable anymore.  I'm down to just 7 vaulted characters that don't have 5 in at least 1 color and all of those but 2 have 4 in at least one.  I can already hear the 'well put it on a non-vaulted'.   I'd much rather put them on vaulted even if it leads to some waste.  
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's better to set a bonus hero as either one with less than 5 covers of all colors, or else the hero is already championed. OR you can take a gamble and set the hero as someone who's almost at 13 covers, in the hope that you will get that challenging 13th cover. Good luck!
  • broll
    mpqr7 said:
    It's better to set a bonus hero as either one with less than 5 covers of all colors, or else the hero is already championed. OR you can take a gamble and set the hero as someone who's almost at 13 covers, in the hope that you will get that challenging 13th cover. Good luck!
    Another option is when you get an unusable cover for someone with 11 or 12 is set that character as BH and do some pulls and hope you get lucky.  Just make sure to stop at 240 or 120 CP left to buy the final cover if you fail.  I'm 2 for 2 with this strategy!
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bonus heros just isn't a good system replacement for covering characters.

It's lovely for champ levels but not for covering.

People wouldn't have to try to use bonus heros on characters with 5 covers if they appeared more than once a year. 

I'm getting exhausted with all of these poor decisions made this year to be entirely honest. 
  • ECOcrush
    ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
    I have Carol as my only 4* Bonus hero right now because she's at 2/5/5 and I NEED that last cover! Of course the black cover I need was the last of her 3 round rewards in Sinister 6 and my alliance didn't make it to that tier. So now I have 5 covers for her waiting in my queue. I had 6 and already had to sell one because it was about to expire. 
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    ECOcrush said:
    I have Carol as my only 4* Bonus hero right now because she's at 2/5/5 and I NEED that last cover! Of course the black cover I need was the last of her 3 round rewards in Sinister 6 and my alliance didn't make it to that tier. So now I have 5 covers for her waiting in my queue. I had 6 and already had to sell one because it was about to expire. 
    This is exactly what spending 120 CP on a cover is for. Solves your problem.

--Khanwulf
  • broll
    GurlBYE said:

People wouldn't have to try to use bonus heros on characters with 5 covers if they appeared more than once a year. 

I'm getting exhausted with all of these poor decisions made this year to be entirely honest. 
    This is an exaggeration IMO.  It's certainly not perfect and could be better, but it's better than not having it.
  • GurlBYE
    edited July 2017
    broll said:
    GurlBYE said:

This is an exaggeration IMO.  It's certainly not perfect and could be better, but it's better than not having it.
    I never stated it was bad to have, simply that its not a solution to uncoverable characters right now.

I even said its lovely for champing because that's when it no longer matters what color you get.

It's a system that's flawless for champs and otherwise kinda screwy due to rarity. It can be useful but is entirely too inconsistent for it's rarity especially with 4's and 5's.

Hell if it were only for champs and had a higher % it'd be a great way to alleviate champ rewards effectively being sliced off for 4s. 
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    GurlBYE said:

"I hate having this dinner plate-sized hole in my chest, but at least the doctor gave me some ibuprofen and a band-aid!"
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 445 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 said:
    Im in this situation right now. Im 1 cover away from fully covering C4rol. I need black or green. Got 3 yellow covers dying on the vine. Setting her as bonus hero hopefully will get me the card i need before they go to waste. If this wasnt the case i would never set a 5 covered character as bonus hero.
  • broll
    edited July 2017
    GurlBYE said:
    broll said:
    GurlBYE said:

I never stated it was bad to have, simply that its not a solution to uncoverable characters right now.

I even said its lovely for champing because that's when it no longer matters what color you get.

It's a system that's flawless for champs and otherwise kinda screwy due to rarity. It can be useful but is entirely too inconsistent for it's rarity especially with 4's and 5's.

Hell if it were only for champs and had a higher % it'd be a great way to alleviate champ rewards effectively being sliced off for 4s. 
    It works great for any character that has few than 5 in any color.  The real problem lies there.  You can generally solve that problem a number of other ways also 120 CP, favoriting the correct 3* to get the 4* cover you need, hoarding vault tokens waiting for the right character, and praying to RNGsus for the character to be available for PvP / PvE (and be the right color)

The point I'm making is it's great for 2 catagories:
    1. Champed characers
    2. Non-champed characters without 5 in any category (guarenteed 0-5, could go all the way to 13 if you luck out into a 4/4/4 build)
    The point in time chasing those final covers once you are 5 covered in one or two colors is a tiny amount in the full transition from 0 covered to max champed.  The systems works great for 90% of a characters development.  With how messy most of the new features have been lately I can't fault something that's 90% effective... Let's focus on the stuff that's 22.2% effective (and shrinking every release)... Like vaulting...
  • GurlBYE
    edited July 2017
    The issue is it also can give 5 covers of a color (Like op... so gaining 5 in a color makes it ineffective...)

and of course solving vaulting would make BH stronger,

that's not even a question.

We aren't disagreeing here. 
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    joaoleal said:
    Hi, My last 4 bonus 4* (which are extremely rare) have been the same red cyclops cover (for which I already have 5) is this just being unlucky or potentially a bug
    Or by design for us conspiracy theorists!

The annoying thing about it is we'll never know unless we get our hands on the code to see if it's:

1 - poor programming (ie a bug), which isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
    2 - deliberate system behaviour (it happens so often that it feels like this is the case sometimes).
    3 - honest-to-goodness random allocation (ie rotten luck).

Can't really prove that it isn't random so it's random.

My past experience (11/4/3 Peggy, 13/3/4 KK, etc, etc) really has me leaning towards what's behind door number 2.  But I also watched the X-files every Sunday in my youth so that tells you all you need to know.

• broll
    edited July 2017
    joaoleal said:
    Hi, My last 4 bonus 4* (which are extremely rare) have been the same red cyclops cover (for which I already have 5) is this just being unlucky or potentially a bug
    Or by design for us conspiracy theorists!

The annoying thing about it is we'll never know unless we get our hands on the code to see if it's:

1 - poor programming (ie a bug), which isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
    2 - deliberate system behaviour (it happens so often that it feels like this is the case sometimes).
    3 - honest-to-goodness random allocation (ie rotten luck).

Can't really prove that it isn't random so it's random.

My past experience (11/4/3 Peggy, 13/3/4 KK, etc, etc) really has me leaning towards what's behind door number 2.  But I also watched the X-files every Sunday in my youth so that tells you all you need to know.

My past experience is exactly the opposite.  I've used BH to finish off 2 vaulted, saved a 14th for 2 others (both got a useful cover on next BH) and got Cho to 4/4/4 (I think it started like 3/2/3).  

This leads me to believe it's not #2, but could equally be 1 or 3.  If it were #2 we'd all be having the same rotten luck (unless you're suggesting it's programatically targeting you and/or certain players and if that's what you believe my logic won't penetrate your tin foil hat...)
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    My past experience is exactly the opposite.  I've used BH to finish off 2 vaulted, saved a 14th for 2 others (both got a useful cover on next BH) and got Cho to 4/4/4 (I think it started like 3/2/3).  

This leads me to believe it's not #2, but could equally be 1 or 3.  If it were #2 we'd all be having the same rotten luck (unless you're suggesting it's programatically targeting you and/or certain players and if that's what you believe my logic won't penetrate your tin foil hat...)
    You know about tinfoil hats?!  I'll take mine off for a moment.

In my zeal for spouting conspiracy theory nonsense I neglected to mention that I was not JUST talking about BH allocation but cover allocation period.  Much like the OPs bad luck with BH 'pulls', I've had absolutely ridiculous 'bad luck' with token pulls.  BH pulls have been hit or miss, but I never BH a character with 5 covers in any color unless I'm about to go on a blitz to try and cover them.  Call me paranoid.  

Everyone else does!