PointGrinding in PVE still seems to be widespread?

Options

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't get the point situation. I just play each node 4 times then before the event is over I clear them 2 more times if I'm not bored. 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't get the point situation. I just play each node 4 times then before the event is over I clear them 2 more times if I'm not bored. 
    It's all about T10-T1 placement. Sometimes there's only a handful of points keeping someone from hitting those placements, which can mean drastically different rewards.

And that can mean people grind nodes for three points at a time to either keep their place or bump someone else out. 
  • DyingLegend
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    It's all about T10-T1 placement. Sometimes there's only a handful of points keeping someone from hitting those placements, which can mean drastically different rewards.

And that can mean people grind nodes for three points at a time to either keep their place or bump someone else out. 

I see.... 
    Just seems like too much work and would drive me mad playing the same node a couple hundred times. 
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:

I see.... 
    Just seems like too much work and would drive me mad playing the same node a couple hundred times. 
    Oh, I didn't say anything about it being worth it. I can't imagine doing it either. I typically do 7 clears for placement, and have generally had my fill at that point.
  • razor14
    razor14 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Overgrinding can't beat optimal 4x+3x clears since the change in easier nodes points, no matter what...
  • Mercator
    Mercator Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    it can .... just need an awful lot of overgrinding

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't observed much in the way of grinding.  For the last few events at least the point spreads tend to be in the low hundreds and are easily explained by optimal play or missing a few 7th clears.  I'm not playing in the most competitive slices and brackets, though.
  • Bugbag
    Bugbag Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you optimally clear nodes? Clear each one 4 times then wait until the last hour to do it again? Or is it different?
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    razor14 said:
    Overgrinding can't beat optimal 4x+3x clears since the change in easier nodes points, no matter what...
    Well, 3pt over-grinding is especially effective when the node values are low and goons only. E.g. The first sub in venom. That's how the current leader in my bracket did to beat us. 
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Bugbag said:
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you optimally clear nodes? Clear each one 4 times then wait until the last hour to do it again? Or is it different?
    That's pretty much it. As soon as a sub opens, play the initial node once to unlock the next node, but also the essential character nodes. Clear the 4* required node four times, then the 3* and 2* nodes. 

Then on the main path clear each node once until you get to the final node and clear that four times. Then work your way back down, beating each node three more times. Obviously if there are wave nodes, beat those only twice. 

The idea is to get the nodes worth the most cleared first to get them recharging on points as much as possible before your final grind. 

Final grind start times don't necessarily have to be in the last hour, just however long it takes you to get at least two more clears, three if you're going for placement. 
  • DyingLegend
    Options
    My game plan is hoping most players go for the last progression reward then quit event so I can keep trying to get the placement rewards. 
  • razor14
    razor14 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    robertbah said:
    razor14 said:
    Well, 3pt over-grinding is especially effective when the node values are low and goons only. E.g. The first sub in venom. That's how the current leader in my bracket did to beat us. 
    I know what you are talking, I do that sometimes, but if you had the time to do that in the end it means you started a little bit sooner...
    When I refer to optimal, I mean the perfect timing within the 4+3 clears, those that can do it don't need to overgrind the 3 easier nodes and will have at least 30 pts in the lead, a little less if it's the first sub...
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said

But, i have seen people doing something similar when there's a non-repeatable node. They would leave that node untouched during the first 4 clears so they were not seen to have full points on the leaderboard and started grinding a node in the middle of the sub or closer to the end. Then when they did the non-repeatable node, they were 200 pts ahead of the leader. 
    Is rubber banding still on? If so that would earn a few more points too
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Rubber banding hasn't been in the game for a long time.  

Based on the numbers I saw from others and my own slice, it doesn't look like hardly anyone was successfully overgrinding in the DPvMPQ event.

There is one guy that appears to be doing it in my slice in Venom Bomb though.  He has a 300 point lead over 2nd place, then 2nd through 10th are within 300 points.

If 1 out of 1000 is doing it, and mostly only in new release events, then I don't really care.  Let him spend those extra hours for first.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Venom Bomb finishes in 12 hours for me, top ten over all

85952 (me)

I am 4th and havent been over grinding at all, top is 244 points ahead of me - could well be the difference in faster clears over the course of the event.

My God, 1000 between first and tenth?
    Gimme that bracket.

Mine is

• Bowgentle
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Thats close!

There is 12 hours left, so I dont know if some people have gone in a bit early and picked up some points...

I removed the overgrinders from my list, those points are the people who know what they're doing.
    Few others above who won't be t20 in the end.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah mine is super close as well.
    1st is 86097, 10th is 85370.  That's typical on a new release though.
  • DyingLegend
    Options
    Mine ended with a top place of 97267 and to get into top 20 you needed 93356. I finished with 87003 for 76th place.
  • Bowgentle
    Options

1. 97282
    2. 97259
    3. 97212
    4. 97206
    5. 97163
    6. 97131
    7. 97114
    8. 97030
    9. 97025