5* Thanos - Infinite Power match-dmg buff ineffective

1.  The Infinite Power buffed, match dmg, which used to be effective recently, is no longer effectively-increasing the match dmg for Thanos' matches.  I have noticed this in both PvE and PvP.

2.  Also, I have seen enemy NPCs during wave matches, while the Infinite-Power special tile on the board, drop countdown tiles when a new wave arrives.  It was a couple PvE events ago, I think Enemy of the State is where I observed this.  [NOTE] I am uncertain whether this issue is persisting.

All-in-all, it seems like the entire ability is a "dog that won't hunt."  Seems to literally do nothing in the description.

I hope this gets resolved soon.

Comments

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey there @Dapptastic, the second observation happens to be a known issue when you down a minion that places special tiles on death and they are either the last or part of the last characters to go down in a multi wave fight. What you are recalling was when your Thanos was matched up against a couple of Teisatsu's.

As for the first issue, can you elaborate on what you mean by the match damage being no longer effective? Are you positive that Thanos is the one that is making the tile matches and not your other characters?

The character that actually deals damage with tile matches is the one with the highest match damage for that color. So if someone else has stronger match damage than Thanos for Purple, Green, and Black, then that person will technically be dealing the match damage and not Thanos. And if Thanos is not the one making tile matches, then unfortunately his Infinite Power ability really would be rendered ineffective.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    edited July 2017
    @Tombstone

I can elaborate--no problem

Let's start with the expectation and then we'll end with the reality of the issue.

Prefacing expectation with description of Infinite Power:

"Invulnerable, immortal and nearly all-powerful, Thanos bends his foes to his will. Create 3-turn Purple Countdown tile. While this tile is on the board, Thanos deals an extra 15% match damaged and no tiles may be destroyed or changed except by Thanos (tiles may still be matched away)."

So the expectation, given Thanos' purple tile dmg is rated at 200, for a purple match while an Infinite Power special tile is on the board
    would be 600 for a match-3 + 15% (following example of description above), so effectively the buff would equal 90 for a sum total of 690.

The reality is that, even with an Infinite Power special tile on the board, the same match-3 is only netting 600 dmg--essentially the "buff" effect isn't being applied, and there are no other special tiles affecting match dmg (i.e. no enemy protect tiles).  Also, this is taking place when no teammates of Thanos have higher match damage, so he is definitely owner of said tiles not receiving buff effect.

This started within the last 7-10 days.  I don't use 5* Thanos' infinite power very often so my barometer for the timing of the advent for this issue could be inaccurate.

I hope that makes sense.

Let me know if you need further info.

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who are you running Thanos with?  Is there a user on your team with higher strength in purple than Thanos has?  This includes characters who are currently boosted, so a high-level 3* or 4* could potentially have higher match damage than a low-level 5*.

The 15% match damage bonus you specify is for one purple cover, so I'm going to just look at level 255, though your Thanos may be higher.

Thanos purple match damage at level 255 is 149.  If someone on the team has a number higher than 149 for their purple match damage, Thanos won't get the 15% bonus on purple matches, because he is not the one making the match.  (This is shown in the match by the different character symbols on the gems.)

Characters with higher purple damage will usually be another 5* character, as 5* damage is much larger than for all other tiers, but here are some examples of characters with higher purple match damage than 149:

5* Star-Lord, level 255, 152 damage for purple
    5* Spider-Man (Black Suit), level 295, 150 dmg
    4* Miles Morales, Jean Grey, Winter Soldier (and others with purple as strongest color), level 354 (possible, but only with extreme champion levels or as a boosted character.
    3* characters can also achieve this kind of damage, but only as very high level champs that are boosted for an event.

In any of these cases, because another character makes the purple match, Thanos's 15% bonus would not be added.
  • [Deleted User]
    yeah, Tombstone mentioned that and I addressed that (end of 3rd, meaty paragraph in my reply) potential cause as being irrelevant to this case study, if you will; I typically run 5* Thanos with 4*s in the 270-280 range...nowhere near trumping lvl 345 Thanos in terms of taking ownership of Thanos' tiles.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in and clarify tho.  I know you're trying to help isolate the cause of the issue.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Oh, yep, I missed that sentence.

And that Thanos should have purple match damage of 265.  Any 4* would have to be boosted to levels well in excess of 400 to beat that.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I just tested with my Thanos, the numbers that pop out of the matched tiles are not changed, but the number showing the damage by the health bar of the enemy shows the increased damage.  Is it possible that is what is happening to you as well?
  • [Deleted User]
    Dayv said:
    Oh, yep, I missed that sentence.

And that Thanos should have purple match damage of 265.  Any 4* would have to be boosted to levels well in excess of 400 to beat that.

the numbers I used in my example were arbitrary, just for the sake of instance.  Sorry for the confusion; I know there's a mismatch between my example and what I revealed is the true level of my 5* Thanos.

@MoosePrime
    I usually run 5* Thanos for the first nodes in PvE events and deadpool daily, as such I won't use him again until tomorrow, but I am making a mental note to compare the match dmg displayed by the tiles against the effective-dmg value applied to the target and I will reply with my findings.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2017
    @MoosePrime
    you were right!  The dmg value that floats away from the tile is not the same as the dmg value deducted from target health.

@Tombstone
    you can close any potential tickets associated with this false alarm.  sorry for playing the chicken little role on the forums--somebody has to tho, right?  It turns out there's just a disparity between what's displayed on the tile board and what actually happens to target health but I took it for granted that what was displayed when tiles are matched away was what was happening in terms of dmg applied.

Cheers to all who lent their insights.