What's the point of the "Train" button?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
I might be speaking from my own experiences but whenever I want to level up a character I click on Roster, scroll across to the character, click on them and click the level up button.

For a while now I've been wondering why there's a "Train" button which also lists the characters you have but in a much longer list of singular characters rather than the two rows of icons.

It seems like a needless option to have. Am I missing anything or do we have two buttons that do basically the same thing but one is more efficiently laid out than the other?

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used the Train button for the first 2 weeks I played and from then on I just used the roster button and leveled them up that way.  The Train button is essentially redundant.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    You get an overview of which characters are trainable. It would have been great with a * filter button though.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I think was more meaningful before they made the roster page more user friendly, but now it's a bit outdated. I think they just leave it there since it's not hurting anything.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly, I stopped using the train button probably a month into the game as my roster outgrew the ability to use it efficiently. And that's with not discovering that I could train via the roster until I was almost a year into the game.

If it's going to remain, it should at a minimum filter down to only show the characters you CAN train with the amount of iso you have on hand and block off any whose next level is above that.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    The only use I see for that screen is that I see how much health a character has.

Other than that: *big shrug*
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    It's probably most helpful for new players. It shows you that characters can be trained, specifically by improving powers or raising levels. I rarely use it myself anymore, but I see how it conveys important information that you wouldn't necessarily find with the roster screen alone. 

Agreed that it could be improved! 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Wasn't there a bug with the train button? Or was it the roster level button? Whichever it was, I think it was part of the issue causing people to not see the proper sell back prices when they would go to sell a character from that screen. Then they re-worked the roster page and I think, like someone said above, just left it there.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Yes, I used it only a few times at the beginning, and have used the Roster one since then. My only issue with the Roster one, is why it needs to come back to the start after you apply a champion level or train a power? It would be great if it stayed at the same point you were before viewing the character. 
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I might be speaking from my own experiences but whenever I want to level up a character I click on Roster, scroll across to the character, click on them and click the level up button.

For a while now I've been wondering why there's a "Train" button which also lists the characters you have but in a much longer list of singular characters rather than the two rows of icons.

It seems like a needless option to have. Am I missing anything or do we have two buttons that do basically the same thing but one is more efficiently laid out than the other?
    I had no idea I could get at the training screen this way until just now!   Sheesh.  I have to select a couple page over options to get to the training option (I'm on Android), but it's definitely quicker than trying to find the right character in the training view.  Just never bothered using the page over buttons until now.

Thanks for opening my eyes!

Oh, and this being the case, you're right the Train button seems redundant.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's only useful at the beginning, when you just have a few characters who are trainable. Soon enough, you are inundated with numerous characters at low levels and a few covers, and you will never train them all. You'll be like me and just wait until you can champion them (or at least get them good enough to beat their 4* crash), and then train them in one block.
  • Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    The Train button brings you to a screen that has yellow arrows displayed on portraits on those who aren't at level cap yet. At 100+ characters, I find it invaluable to remember at a glance who is capped and who isn't. I much prefer this view compared to the really busy display of numbers that a fast scrolling (accidentally too) roster screen gives.

Art is better too.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    The Train screen shows you the health status of characters, while the roster screen does not. When I want to take a break from the game before jumping into something else: Doing a Lightning round after my PVE clears, doing DDQ after a PVP climb, hitting SHIELD SIM for a bit after a shield hop, etc. that screen shows me how long certain characters have before they heal up. Perhaps its OCD, but I prefer starting certain things with all 10 of my health packs and any characters I plan on using already healed to full health. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    The only time I ever hit it is when I'm clicking (rapidly) after a wipe and accidentally overclick...  I much prefer going through my roster to train heroes.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you press the train button, non-checkers get locked out of the game for 30 minutes, allowing you to score freely. Try it. It works™
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    I ranted about this early last year, and I don't think the Train page has changed at all. Train still uses page buttons even after Roster changed to the weirdly-arranged zigzag scroll. I still find it silly that characters who are at their current max even show up on the Train page, especially considering the inefficient layout.

The Roster screen should include a filter option in the dropdown for "Trainable" characters, and characters on the screen could have separate visible indicators for ISO potential and Cover potential.

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    they should have a separate list for those that can level  and those that have covers and remove characters that can do neither.
  • TheDobot
    TheDobot Posts: 61 Match Maker
    I used the train button when I started because of the little aero showing who was maxed and who could use iso.  Once my roster got much larger there was no point because everyone needed iso and the roster button became more of an all in one button.  You are right though, seems like a wasted space.  At this point I would much rather have an icon that takes me straight to the covers page for fast champion changes
  • dma_pdx
    dma_pdx Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    my biggest issue with the Train menu is after you actually train a character, it starts you back up at your highest level characters. i think it should start where you last left off. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    dma_pdx said:
    my biggest issue with the Train menu is after you actually train a character, it starts you back up at your highest level characters. i think it should start where you last left off. 
    Roster does the same thing. I assume it's because the page essentially refreshes since there's been a change and they likely need to re-order the icons.

If you use roster, click a character then just back ut, you stay where you were.
    Train will, as you say, reset to the highest level again...which is odd to me. I hadn't even noticed that.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    dma_pdx said:
    I actually tend to use the Train button for a quick glance at who needs ISO, and this is the thing about it that annoys me the most.