Cards that play: Auto-Cast vs Choice

Options
2»

Comments

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Actually when it comes to the card Cast Out, there is a fix in 2.2 that will prevent it from erroneously casting when you select "Not Now."

I know it's not exactly the same scenario as @Phillmoore's original post, but it's similar and relevant enough that I figured I'd mention it
    So my understanding here is that Cast Out will enter play, trigger it's enter the battlefield effect then ask you to select a target, you will then have the option to hit not now which will return the support to your hand, presumably with full mana. This should cause all kinds of weird and buggy interactions with things that trigger based on supports entering the battlefield. Metalwork Colossus and Underhanded Designs are two that I can think of off the top of my head. This change will have to alter the entire way these cards (Cast Out and similar targeting supports) work in order to avoid creating other less desirable issues but I suppose job security is a thing. Just thought of a another one. Oath of Chandra turns into "Deal 2 damage to your opponent each turn, your maximum hand size is 5."
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Brigby said:
    Actually when it comes to the card Cast Out, there is a fix in 2.2 that will prevent it from erroneously casting when you select "Not Now."

I know it's not exactly the same scenario as @Phillmoore's original post, but it's similar and relevant enough that I figured I'd mention it
    So my understanding here is that Cast Out will enter play, trigger it's enter the battlefield effect then ask you to select a target, you will then have the option to hit not now which will return the support to your hand, presumably with full mana. This should cause all kinds of weird and buggy interactions with things that trigger based on supports entering the battlefield. Metalwork Colossus and Underhanded Designs are two that I can think of off the top of my head. This change will have to alter the entire way these cards (Cast Out and similar targeting supports) work in order to avoid creating other less desirable issues but I suppose job security is a thing. Just thought of a another one. Oath of Chandra turns into "Deal 2 damage to your opponent each turn, your maximum hand size is 5."

probably easier to ask to cast and the support is
    only cast if the player selects to cast it. similar to
    how some other cards are played.

HH
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hawkyh1 said:

probably easier to ask to cast and the support is
    only cast if the player selects to cast it. similar to
    how some other cards are played.

HH
    I agree but therein lies the problem. They have to redesign how those particular supports function which I can only assume will lead to bugs that don't currently exist for those cards.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's OK, everyone! Brigby has renamed the thread! Problem solved!
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I wish I had been more specific when I set it up.  Make much more sense now. Thanks
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madwren said:
    To make both camps happy, we should simply have an option to turn autocast off or on for all of your cards.

Regardless, having some cards work one way, and some another way, is just silly.
    This is a very simple solution to the underlying problem. Great idea @madwren