**** are people doing shielding on a 25 day event?

Options

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    Shielding for a progression award doesn't make sense, though, as you'll have another ~1000 pts on your absolute score three days later from the next PvP tournament. D3 is laughing all the way to the bank, I'm sure.

There are progression award just for the simulator.
  • scottee wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    Shielding for a progression award doesn't make sense, though, as you'll have another ~1000 pts on your absolute score three days later from the next PvP tournament. D3 is laughing all the way to the bank, I'm sure.

There are progression award just for the simulator.

And the only ones I could see someone blowing a shield on would be the yellow Spidey cover and the green GSBW cover. Both of which are about 1000 points away from where these people are shielding.
  • You're both right, and that makes much more sense. I was only thinking of the overall season 1 progressions rewards, of course.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What is amazing is that the entire top 10 as I write this is already shielding!

*whistles as I tank my way down*
  • I would have thought it is pretty obvious what is going with shielding in simulator...
    people are being smart without necessarily knowing it
    The simulator is global so everyone is in it, meaning the odds of an individual user being on an active node of another random person is incredibly low
    However, if you attack people, each of those people will have a chance at a retal & many of them will use that retal
    So if you shield for awhile 8hr or 24hr, you will likely avoid the retals lowering your score & have a better chance at high plateaued score
    I wonder how many people who have used shields have realized this and how many have just used shields cause they have a high score and dis not think about the ramifications
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would have thought it is pretty obvious what is going with shielding in simulator...
    The simulator is global so everyone is in it, meaning the odds of an individual user being on an active node of another random person is incredibly low
    However, if you attack people, each of those people will have a chance at a retal & many of them will use that retal
    So if you shield for awhile 8hr or 24hr, you will likely avoid the retals lowering your score & have a better chance at high plateaued score
    I wonder how many people who have used shields have realized this and how many have just used shields cause they have a high score and dis not think about the ramifications

shield being global has nothing to do with it. Matchmaking is always global, meaning even in bracketted events you'll get poeple from other brackets (actually, most will be from other brackets since typicall pvp brackets are only 500). So as far as that goes, this tournament is no different from regular pvp.
    And even if that were the case, why push now and shield instead of waiting 20 days, and then push and shield....much cheaper that way.
  • I would have thought it is pretty obvious what is going with shielding in simulator...

shield being global has nothing to do with it. Matchmaking is always global, meaning even in bracketted events you'll get poeple from other brackets (actually, most will be from other brackets since typicall pvp brackets are only 500). So as far as that goes, this tournament is no different from regular pvp.
    And even if that were the case, why push now and shield instead of waiting 20 days, and then push and shield....much cheaper that way.

I agree with you 100%. I don't plan on really hitting the simulator hard until the last days, but I get why people are doing it tho
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I would have thought it is pretty obvious what is going with shielding in simulator...

I agree with you 100%. I don't plan on really hitting the simulator hard until the last days, but I get why people are doing it tho
    Well, I suppose not understanding how matchmaking works in bracketed PVPs is a bit better than misreading "days" as "hours." icon_lol.gif
  • I don't plan on really hitting the simulator hard until the last days, but I get why people are doing it tho

Same as me really. I'm picking at it now here and there, but I won't hit it probably until 3-4 days to go. I have no expectations of being near the top, but if I can get an extra 1000 points on top of what I earn from the PvP events, I'll be happy enough.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    I don't plan on really hitting the simulator hard until the last days, but I get why people are doing it tho

Same as me really. I'm picking at it now here and there, but I won't hit it probably until 3-4 days to go. I have no expectations of being near the top, but if I can get an extra 1000 points on top of what I earn from the PvP events, I'll be happy enough.

I am not touching it..just so ivhave a better understanding of where I am in my bracket.
  • ZenBrillig wrote:
    It's a public service. By shielding, they're inflating the pool of points we're all passing back and forth and making progression rewards easier to attain.

Honestly, this. I can't seem to find a match right now that won't give me 35-45 points for winning. Its slingshotting people upwards.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Slobofix is doing a public service? Riiiiiight...
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why the hell is Slobofix still not banned is beyond me tbh ;-P
  • Seriously
    Seriously Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Tbh I shielded as I was damn close to 5k and whilst i could wait for the next pvp event and pass it easily, I kinda have a "NOW NOW NOW" attitude to prizes icon_razz.gif Fortunately got my heroic pack and am not planning on shielding till the end.
  • I got my black hulk progression reward, may engage tanking in the S.S. and save the final run for later, or just go up and down for the lulz and the iso
  • morgh wrote:

He may just be pouring a ton of money into it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    yeah i dont get this either.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    morgh wrote:

He may just be pouring a ton of money into it.

It's probably Justin Beiber. More reason to hate him...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Over the last few days I've enjoyed pushing into the top 10 a few times without shields just to prove the fact the shields are a waste of money at this stage

oh and annoying the top 10 when I hit them whilst unshielded icon_lol.gif

edit: I was quite entertained to make it to 3rd place, within 100 points of the leader without any shielding. Will now fall like a stone to a wave of -50s I expect! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Frubzy
    Frubzy Posts: 77
    Options
    Over the last few days I've enjoyed pushing into the top 10 a few times without shields just to prove the fact the shields are a waste of money at this stage

oh and annoying the top 10 when I hit them whilst unshielded icon_lol.gif

edit: I was quite entertained to make it to 3rd place, within 100 points of the leader without any shielding. Will now fall like a stone to a wave of -50s I expect! icon_e_smile.gif

well done mike , i shake my head everytime i see u in my season 1 bracket lol , no way i can catch u now , im shooting for a top 10 ..., as for the sim, its really crazy in there , i pushed to the top 10 earlier on , now im just hovering around 1900 , one attack a day , and i usually build back up to 2000 and stay there....im not brave enough to get close to the pack ...