So Boss Rush 2.0, was it tested?

fnedude
fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker

So what us players observed with Boss Rush 1.0 was that there was not any thorough testing of it done with playtesters (that was obvious from us users).

Brigby, can you let us know what was done so that fiasco wasn't repeated?

Was there significant playtesting?  Were playtesters able to test it fully (IIRC playtesters only did 1x wave of Boss Rush 1.0).

It would be nice going into the "new and improved" (hopefully) event that our concerns (as players/forum members) were listened too.

Comments

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Well, them depleting their AP after each round should definitely fix my main gripe with boss rush.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    Starfury said:
    Well, them depleting their AP after each round should definitely fix my main gripe with boss rush.
    Tell that to wave 1, turn 1 Boss Phoenix kills.
    What did she do? Don't remember that part.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starfury said:
    Daiches said:
    Starfury said:
    Cascades. The mother of all cascades
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Starfury said:
    Daiches said:
    Starfury said:
    At the start of every turn she'd passively turn like 8 tiles red, and also did something horrific on match-5s (I forget what, it was a while ago). Coupled with the absurd match damage, it was absolutely unplayable. I was using a boosted Cho with like 40k health and he'd die on the first turn nine times out of ten.

You also had to fight Banner in the same match, and he did the exact same thing with green. I think I managed to successfully beat all the waves exactly once out of 20+ attempts.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Well, they are already hedging their bets by rerunning it in a few weeks. This first run might as well be the test. With the airborne and invisible mechanics being important, I can imagine some issues, either with difficulty or with bugs.
    The boss rush problem was mostly solved by the AP reset, and if they keep the scaling from skyrocketing like boss rush then I think it should be fine.
  • taz1977
    taz1977 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    boss run 2.0 test to be run in 24 hours time lol
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would also be really nice if they have strongest color distributed a bit better (better than "Everyone Yellow", really).

You've got a lot of powers now that care about strongest color; can't just throw away NPC match damage without taking that into account.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. The developers have been well aware of the concerns of "Boss Rush 1.0" during the development of The Sinister Six event. Two big concerns from Boss Rush were AP build-up transferring over to the next boss, and enemy difficulty levels, so the team made sure they tackled those two issues this time around:
    1. The Sinister Six event will clear AP after each wave is defeated, preventing the next boss from using any of the AP the previous wave had collected.
    2. Enemies have had their difficulty levels tuned, particularly in the upper levels.
    The Sinister Six event is still intended to be a challenging event, but with the previous two adjustments, hopefully it won't be overwhelmingly so.
    Wasn't the real problem in Boss Rush 1.0 is lacking of play-testing the game before released ? I'm sorry that I'm still skeptical about this Boss Rush 2.0. I believe the OP asked if the Boss Rush 2.0 is play-tested before release. I don't think those two points indicate any improvement, unless this Boss Rush 2.0 has been play-tested already.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    aa25 said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. The developers have been well aware of the concerns of "Boss Rush 1.0" during the development of The Sinister Six event. Two big concerns from Boss Rush were AP build-up transferring over to the next boss, and enemy difficulty levels, so the team made sure they tackled those two issues this time around:
    1. The Sinister Six event will clear AP after each wave is defeated, preventing the next boss from using any of the AP the previous wave had collected.
    2. Enemies have had their difficulty levels tuned, particularly in the upper levels.
    The Sinister Six event is still intended to be a challenging event, but with the previous two adjustments, hopefully it won't be overwhelmingly so.
    Wasn't the real problem in Boss Rush 1.0 is lacking of play-testing the game before released ? I'm sorry that I'm still skeptical about this Boss Rush 2.0. I believe the OP asked if the Boss Rush 2.0 is play-tested before release. I don't think those two points indicate any improvement, unless this Boss Rush 2.0 has been play-tested already.
    How are they not improvements?
  • aa25
    MojoWild said:
    aa25 said:
    Brigby said:
    In my opinion, making any adjustment without actually testing it out doesn't indicate anything. It could be an improvement or it could miss the mark. For this particular event, five out of six are brand new boss. How do we know if the bosses are not intrinsically overpowered ? Thus, to me the second point above is very vague. On top of that, from that same page, many of the boss's powers sound like passive which also makes the first point unclear if it will have any impact to the game.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    aa25 said:
    MojoWild said:
    aa25 said:
    Brigby said:
    In my opinion, making any adjustment without actually testing it out doesn't indicate anything. It could be an improvement or it could miss the mark. For this particular event, five out of six are brand new boss. How do we know if the bosses are not intrinsically overpowered ? Thus, to me the second point above is very vague. On top of that, from that same page, many of the boss's powers sound like passive which also makes the first point unclear if it will have any impact to the game.
    Did they say Homecoming is based on Boss Rush? The OP didn't say anything about Homecoming.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Well, the only acknowledgement we got on the first go around was "screw you guys, we know it was unplayable and we don't care," so I'm taking this as an encouraging sign.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    MojoWild said:

Did they say Homecoming is based on Boss Rush? The OP didn't say anything about Homecoming.
    @MojoWild
    To my knowledge, there is no "Boss Rush 2.0" planned for the future, therefore I was assuming OP was referring to the Sinister Six event, due to its similarities to Boss Rush.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    aa25 said:
    Brigby said:
    These demands you have, wow. Let's say the event sucks, you play it get frustrated put the game down and do something else.

Let's say the event is awesome, you play it are pleased and put the game down and do something else.

This search and drive to make Brigby hound after full testing information seems a bit ridiculous. What can they do now? Cancel it because you unearthed a testing failure? Eh maybe it's perspective. I don't spend and if there is something I think is negative in the game just shrug and move on. 

Not an attempt to put words in anyone's mouth, but if I were hounding Brigby for testing specifics it would be draw attention to the greater issue of glaring bugs being tossed out into production in a regular basis (not special cases, not edge cases, big ol' massively game impacting ones) 

The successor to an event that was unplayable by a large number of people, presumably due to lack of testing, not apathy or malice, would be as good a place as any to poke the issue.

• aa25

:snip:

These demands you have, wow. Let's say the event sucks, you play it get frustrated put the game down and do something else.

Let's say the event is awesome, you play it are pleased and put the game down and do something else.

This search and drive to make Brigby hound after full testing information seems a bit ridiculous. What can they do now? Cancel it because you unearthed a testing failure? Eh maybe it's perspective. I don't spend and if there is something I think is negative in the game just shrug and move on. 
    It's not my intention to ask Brigby to ask about the play-testing information. I know that it's already too late to do anything. (We can set aside a question why it's always the case.)

All I want to say is that these adjustments do not convince me that lacking of play-testing, which I believe is a bigger issue, in Boss Rush 1.0 has been addressed.

Honestly, I'm ready to shrug and move on with this event. I probably try it out until R5 or R6 and apologize to my teammates later if I don't feel like I want to continue.