Feedback Thread - The Hunt for the Falcon - April 18 - 27

Options
NorthernPolarity
NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Another event, another feedback thread. I'm just glad the hunt's over. Too much grinding. Hopefully we get Unstable Iso or something like that so that we can take a break.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Hooray for subs and HP rewards.
    Scaling and Rubberbanding seemed okay for me.

Very bad end-times for the subs, especially when they are running concurrently with LR and PVP. 24-hour window subs and events that end 12 hours apart for a total of 36 hours means constantly having to play to keep up with the ranks.
    I think at some point, there were 4 events running concurrently - LR, 2 subs and PVP, which became a question of "who has more time to play what". It wasn't even about strategically picking fights because PVE subs contributed to the main and that had to be maintained, while PVP contributed to Season 1 and that's another maintenance factor. Then there's the whole, "my score if bad will affect my alliance score".

May be better to space the events out, not have event end-times so close, limit concurrent events, and show some more love to our EU players.
  • Any design that punishes players for playing too much is **** bad and needs to be changed.

Any design that punishes players for not playing other than not winning the event is **** bad.

This current design does both.
  • Just failed to make 140K points in the event but there is no way i will be even attempting top 2 next time around.

I could keep my scaling just about under control and the levels only got silly in the last 24 hours. With the current structure of punishing you for playing the top progression rewards were missed by nearly 20% so their simulations of how the player base plays are still way off unless they have no intention of us winning them. (If that is the case they should just remove them then)
  • Voted for terribad. Structure was horrible with the SSDD mentality of the sub events. How many times can you beat up on Bullseye really before it gets boring. An 11 day event with 18 hour subs is also really really mean. Trying to get top 20 basically means devoting 11 days of your life to the game.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    Any design that punishes players for playing too much is tinykitty bad and needs to be changed.

Any design that punishes players for not playing other than not winning the event is tinykitty bad.

This current design does both.

This. Also, I would add: Any game mechanic that punishes a player for playing well (i.e. not taking damage) has to be taken back to the drawing board.
  • Progression rewards should be reverted to previous format to have 3 3* covers (in this case, black/green/red HT).

Other than that, I was fine with the event. It was nice to get 1-2 heroic tokens each day for doing a few nodes.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I also voted for terribad. Everyone has mentioned the scaling issues so I won't go into detail, and to me that was the biggest problem. It motivates you to play as little as possible when generally a game should want you to play a lot. Even Heroic Venom was better than this cause then I just had to do the Essential nodes once a day or so to keep near the top. The amount of time required to stay near the top in this event was absurd. All the sub events going on around the same time and ending so close to each other was also a big turnoff.

Another thing I agree with is the ending times all being US based being bad overall. As a pacific time zone player, I suppose they are nice for me. However ignoring my family every single day from 7:30-9pm is not something I'd like to do again, but this event basically forced me to do that. I couldn't imagine having to get up in the middle of the night just to put in an hour of MPQ to maintain top 20 or 100 in the main event. Seems like a good way to drive away players, so I would like to see end times change more than just the 9am/9pm PT times they have been lately.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Had to vote "meh", overall.

+ Like constant stream of little rewards.
    + Unpredictable from a tactical play point of view, at least.

- Constant demand on time to achieve anything in the meta track, resulting in my worst finish in months (maybe the 1st time I missed out on the new character all year?).
    - A bit overkill to have 3 sub-events running alongside 2 PvP events in the 1st PvP season.
    - Way too little variety in foes for this amount of matches.
    - The constant stream of little rewards yielded no Hero Points and no 3*s - for me at least - highlighted that as a 3* player the current reward structure has gotten pretty stagnant for everyone outside the top 100 alliances; all I achieved from this event was approx-30% of a 3*s ISO, which I could just as easily gotten by grinding SHIELD Training.

I do appreciate the perpetual flow of PvE events nowadays, but it's all getting fairly homogeneous once you are past the point of collecting 2* covers - there's just top 100 alliances vs everyone else looking to scrape together ISO in the least frustrating way possible, it seems. icon_neutral.gif
  • GumisK
    GumisK Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What I disliked about the event:

a) the monotony; it seemed to me that I was at work, not relaxing with my favourite game. Please, please no more 11-day long PvE with literally nothing new happening after the second day. That's cruel.
    b) the scaling; nothing to add here, community scaling must finally go, scaling mustn't be based on the damage I'm taking, stop ruining the fun for just about everyone. 400-lvl opponents are borderline mental. Who the tinykitty even came up with something like this? Hitler? Doctor Doom himself?
    c) the rewards; I've opened about 20 tokens from the subevents, and got no three-stars. None. It wasn't worth chasing hich placement at all. Progression rewards are another matter. Fix your maths already, how long will we be presented with goals that are impossible to reach?
    d) the enemies. Until a bunch of new villains are introduced, all Dark Avengers themed events are gonna be tinykitty dull and boring. We've fough Daken, Bullseye, Venom and Ares like a fangzillion times up to now. There really is a need for some new faces in the cast.
    e) the time consumption; fighting for each subevent, with 10,000 health points opponents on the board made it anything but casual entertainment; also, there were some PvP's running, and Season one was introduced midway through. Too damn much. I don't mind variety, and I would like to see 4-5 events going on simultaneously, but when one of those is so gigantic, it all seems way too much to handle.
    f) the story line; we need the plot advance, come up with a new PvE instead of constantly repeating the same story arc. Or at least let me disable the cut-scenes, I've grown tired of clicking them away.

What I liked about the event:

a) That I no longer have to play it today.

You can guess what I voted for, methinks.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GumisK wrote:
    What I disliked about the event:

c) the rewards; I've opened about 20 tokens from the subevents, and got no three-stars. None. It wasn't worth chasing hich placement at all. Progression rewards are another matter. Fix your maths already, how long will we be presented with goals that are impossible to reach?

You can guess what I voted for, methinks.

Although I disliked this event due to being forced to combat scaling, I really liked the awards. Getting 100HP per sub means that I'm at least 1k HP and a ton of iso richer than I was before.
  • I hope we don't see this event again, or if we do, scaling has much less of an effect. It basically locked me out of some nodes and with the enemies we are facing even if I thought I could beat some of the nodes, I didn't even try after the first time through because the battles were just annoying.

I thought the storyline was pretty good though and I loved being able to play as Devil Dino!
  • Tharos
    Tharos Posts: 129
    Options
    I was between Meh and Terrible.
    I voted terrible for the combinaison that ruined everything: scaling and exhaustion.

It could have been better with (non-exhaustive list):
    - less nodes
    - more time for each sub-event
    - better doable/overscaled repartition of nodes
  • I voted okay. My scaling never got that bad, and I was able to play the event extremely casually for the most part. I also got a crazy number of good covers (pulled 2 4*s from the tokens) and an insane amount of ISO. I also managed all the Falcon covers. I think this one went better for me than for most people, though, and even I was pretty tired of it by the end.
  • + Rubber-banding - The rubber-banding finally felt about "right" to me. You could definitely catch up but you didn't absolutely have to play in the last 30-60 min to get a decent placement. It was nice not seeing yourself drop from #2 to #300 overnight.

+ Prizes - Subs are a nice way to keep the prizes streaming at a reasonable pace. (Even though I have yet to pull a single LT from tokens)

- Too long - I'm pretty sure everyone will agree with this.

- Too repetitive - Along the same lines of the above, no one wants to fight Daken + Venom + Rag repeatedly.

- Progression awards- None reachable progression awards suck
  • In order of "less annoying" to "most annoying"

-Subs ending constantly requiring constant grinding
    -The weird rubberbanding - Whenever I got close to the leaders, all my node points completely evaporated so I couldn't catch up, but if I tried to take an early lead, people passed me up while my nodes were recharging. Never figured out exactly how I was supposed to play this to get better than top 20s icon_question.gif
    -Venom/Daken/Rags, Venom/Moonstone/Bullseye, Bullseye/Daken/Venom, and then for a change of pace Venom/Moonstone/Goon. Repeat times 1000

This event was terrible
  • The middle of this event seemed fun and manageable for my team. The last third was an exhausting grind of punishingly hard enemies that I had fought many times over already.
  • Too long, too repetitive, too much scaling. The same EXACT subs, again and again and again??? It got very boring, especially when the scaling meant I mostly just did the essentials. Plus, with subs constantly ending, and three of them, it felt endless and all-consuming.

I much prefer fewer, longer subs, that are different.

And the progression rewards should be better and more achievable. The 3 x 3* was nice.
  • Only issue was scaling and timing if subs together. Wasn't a grind feat so I like
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One plus I haven't seen mentioned is the stability of the rankings in the main event. I was able to stay in the 20 quite comfortably and didn't feel the need to scramble for every point in the last 30 minutes of each sub. The ISO and HP income from each sub was nice as well.

I voted the event terrible overall though. Scaling was annoying, same subs 4 times, 9 days, weaker progression rewards, no reachable 3* cover, etc.
  • I liked this event for a number of reason:

- Numerous subevents seemed to reduce rubberbanding effect. Yes, you had to be really active and play each event to place high. But unlike previous events you didn't have to play the last two hours to have a chance. For once I actually slept through the end and I only dropped from top 20 (15th) to top 50. In other events if you didn't play in the last two hours you could drop 100 positions even though you were really active for the rest of the event.
    - Lots of token rewards often. Sure most of them were useless but I think I scored at least 3* during this event which felt rewarding enough.
    - My own scaling only got crazy towards the end. The last day was impossible. I used OBW/MN.Mags/C.Storm so I was stunning and healing but I was also losing occasional fights. I know that people who used Spidey-Mags had it hard and I think the devs need to just nerf those characters rather than making the events impossibly "challenging".
    - The most active players finished first. I know I missed at least one full subevent. As a result I knew that I wasn't going to catch up to the top of my bracket and that felt FAIR. This is the way it should be. You should not be able to show up during the last 2 hours and just get past all the players that put in so much more time and effort.

The BAD stuff:
    - Event was too long. I think 5-6 days would be better.
    - Same enemies over and over again.
    - Carrying over scaling from previous events. I don't know if this happened for this event? To me it felt like I started at a low level and worked my way up which I think would be ideal for all players.
    - Progression rewards. The penultimate rewards was 500 ISO. Where did the 8K ISO reward go? I don't know how difficult the devs want the final reward to be? I think this event had "bad/worthless" rewards but they were attainable.

I enjoyed this event much more than Unstable Iso.