Free Boosters and the New Player Experience

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
For the past several weeks, I have been loosely tracking the set specific drop rates in my free boosters. I've found that roughly 70% of the cards I receive belong to Legacy sets. 

I'm interested to see how this affects new to game players. If the current state of the game is Standard and coalition events are key to getting runes, prizes, and advancing in the game, is there any value in these free boosters containing such a high rate of non-standard cards?

Also do these drop rates effect your engagement or outlook on the game?

Comments

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    For the past several weeks, I have been loosely tracking the set specific drop rates in my free boosters. I've found that roughly 70% of the cards I receive belong to Legacy sets.
    A loose analysis is a great start.  It'd be interesting to see whether that figure is typical.

A baseline expectation might be that expansion doesn't matter; i.e. when a common drops, it's chosen at random from all commons from all expansions.  173 of the 387 commons, and 187 of the 410 uncommons are in Legacy; in each case that's about 45%.  But even then, that almost halves the rate of Standard drops, and this figure would rise as more sets leave Standard.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe we should start tracking @Volrak
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a good plan. My wife is new and is frustrated by duplicates and having trouble waiting for the promised fixes. She might be gone before they get here.
    The other huge issue is the matching in games, but new cards keep her mollified in the short term...