Missed anything in the last year?

TheHueyFreeman
TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
So I haven't played in about a year after being a fairly active member. I was just curious regarding whether anything major has happened lately. I think there were 4 5* characters at the time.

Comments

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Variant, variant, Vault, variant, xtra DPD, nerf, variant, ohhh Cloak and dagger!, variant, nerf, variant, over-mod, variant, overgrind, variant, variant, 5* variant
    and they did stuff with store buttons
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    purplemur said:
    Variant, variant, Vault, variant, xtra DPD, nerf, variant, ohhh Cloak and dagger!, variant, nerf, variant, over-mod, variant, overgrind, variant, variant, 5* variant
    How could you forget Heroes for Hire?????
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    These threads always puzzle me. Just wondering what would cause you to leave a game a year ago? And then what would be the reason to return?

For reference, we've gotten a few of these "I'm back, what happened" threads and I've always wondered the reason to leave and come back.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    @Beer40

So, I've taken two breaks from this game and had been playing since the beginning. I took 6 months off about two years ago because of life needing my complete attention and I had been playing competitively in PVE and dabbling competitively in PVP. I came back because life got more manageable and I had more spare time on my hands again to play at the level I used to. 

I'm on another "break," if you want to call it that, where I stopped playing about 2 months ago because of decisions over the last year (vaulting, over-reliance on RNG for 4*+ progression and increased PVE clear requirements for full progression, in particular). I don't plan on returning. 

It became clear that there really is no place for the time investor/infrequent spender (3+ hours a day playing/less than $100/year) like me in their business model while still getting an enjoyable experience and feeling of progression in the game. It's laughable how little progress you make with investment in this game. It honestly likely leads to the troubles of the game as of late - people either need to brute force RNG with whale money to progress or they have 0 incentive to pay anything at all.

Makes me sad because the game fundamentals are great - match 3 with my favorite superheroes. 

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I haven't played in about a year after being a fairly active member. I was just curious regarding whether anything major has happened lately. I think there were 4 5* characters at the time.
    Easily the most major, impactful change that has happened in the past year has been the return of vaulting. Half the characters in the 3* tier and about 80 percent of the 4* characters are no longer available in tokens. 

When a character is introduced, they get rotated into the token pool the following season. The pool only includes the 12 most recent characters at a time, so when a new one (or two) are added the oldest one (or two) go to the vault. 

Vaulted characters are still available in event vaults, are rewarded in PvE and PvP progression/placement rewards (although not as frequently in PvE it seems). During the off season PvP events, you can earn Vintage Heroic tokens, which include all vaulted 4* and 3* characters, but also a hefty helping of 2*s.

Lastly, there's the Heroes for Hire store, which was recently revamped. It offers one cover (and additional resources) for the 4* that is currently in the Crash, which now lasts a full five days.

The bonus heroes system was also introduced at the same time as vaulting. You can pick a hero (or several; really, as many as you want) at the 3*, 4* or 5* tier to be a bonus hero. With each eligible pull at that tier, you have a 5 percent chance of also pulling a bonus hero. 

Rewards have been increased in PvE, especially in seven day events, but in order to reach full progression, you need to do four clears, plus as immediate 5th clear at reduced points. 

Deadpool's Daily Quest got a revamp, adding a new event and increasing rewards. 

I think that's a pretty good summation. Whether or not these have all been positive events is a different story. 
  • Mordee
    Mordee Posts: 53 Match Maker
    @Beer40

So, I've taken two breaks from this game and had been playing since the beginning. I took 6 months off about two years ago because of life needing my complete attention and I had been playing competitively in PVE and dabbling competitively in PVP. I came back because life got more manageable and I had more spare time on my hands again to play at the level I used to. 

I'm on another "break," if you want to call it that, where I stopped playing about 2 months ago because of decisions over the last year (vaulting, over-reliance on RNG for 4*+ progression and increased PVE clear requirements for full progression, in particular). I don't plan on returning. 

It became clear that there really is no place for the time investor/infrequent spender (3+ hours a day playing/less than $100/year) like me in their business model while still getting an enjoyable experience and feeling of progression in the game. It's laughable how little progress you make with investment in this game. It honestly likely leads to the troubles of the game as of late - people either need to brute force RNG with whale money to progress or they have 0 incentive to pay anything at all.

Makes me sad because the game fundamentals are great - match 3 with my favorite superheroes. 

So my next curious question is why are you still hanging around the forums?  Seems like you can spend this time on other things.  I know I wouldn't bother with the game if I was done with it.  Are you hoping for the game to make some big drastic changes, which then will attract you to come back? 
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    @Mordee

You hit the nail on the head. I only come around a few times a week in the hopes a big change comes around that gives me that spark to play again. Also, there used to be a vibrant community here as well, which I miss.

I'm a comic book geek at heart and a strategist by profession. This would be the perfect game for me in theory. They've just lost their way in the last year plus and my heart wouldn't listen to my head until two months ago.

My heart still gets the best of me from time to time, which brings me here. I refuse to reinstall the game.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa said:
    purplemur said:
    How could you forget Heroes for Hire?????
    and also the dreaded forum revamp that we are struggling with now