Champ Unpopular Vaulted 4* Heroes or Champ Strong Unvaulted 4* Heroes?

Options
ChattyWhacker
ChattyWhacker Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
Hey everyone, I've been improving quite nicely with a strong 4* champed roster but I've been coming up with a dilemma in what is the smartest direction to go in with my champ ready 4*s.

Currently, when using legendary tokens, I am getting an unlucky amount of Mordo, Riri Williams, and Agent Venom covers which I have mostly just immediately sold off.  I do this because I have heard talk that these are low tier 4* characters who, though are not completely useless, are not up to snuff with the majority of the available characters.

Still, I am wondering if I should just champ them now to get all the benefits of their champ level rewards.  Selling them off for 1000 iso a cover seems wasteful.  Still, with the other 4*'s that are fully covered to be champed which include

Iron Man(Hulkbuster)
Moon Knight
Quake
Luke Cage(Powerman)
Sam Wilson(Captain America)

My current direction is to champion these 4*s first depending on which are boosted during events and reserve Mordo, Riri, and Agent Vemon for last in terms of champing.  Still, I wanted to hear a second opinion on this direction.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From what I hear, Riri and AV are way better than generally given credit for once you get them Champed. Venom, in particular, seems to be really hard to get a feel for until he's fully covered.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My 2 cents, which I got from my alliance mate, is to champ whoever in the tokens first. In the end, when those bottom tier 4* is boosted, they are more power than most of the top 4* unboosted. There are a few exceptions, but none is in the token at the moment. Champ those who will stay in the tokens the longest first, and work downward.

For example this week, my lv 298 Agent Venom (boosted to lv 398) deals 18k from his red (10 ap), 10k from his black (5-7 ap), and 8.5k AOE (11 ap). These numbers are much better than most unboosted top 4*.

Edit: By the way, the game also throws Mordo and Riri covers at me too.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I champed everyone I had had expiring covers of. That is, when ISO permitted.

I have no regrets on that regard.

So... My advice? Whoever you can champ, do so.
    Opinions on characters depend heavily on personal preference. Yes, the numbers play a part as well but still, gamestyle is important.

Maybe you'll love riri! Maybe mordo was the missing third in one of your favourite teams.

If you can spare the iso, gotta champ em all
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,195 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey everyone, I've been improving quite nicely with a strong 4* champed roster but I've been coming up with a dilemma in what is the smartest direction to go in with my champ ready 4*s.

Currently, when using legendary tokens, I am getting an unlucky amount of Mordo, Riri Williams, and Agent Venom covers which I have mostly just immediately sold off.  I do this because I have heard talk that these are low tier 4* characters who, though are not completely useless, are not up to snuff with the majority of the available characters.

Still, I am wondering if I should just champ them now to get all the benefits of their champ level rewards.  Selling them off for 1000 iso a cover seems wasteful.  Still, with the other 4*'s that are fully covered to be champed which include

Iron Man(Hulkbuster)
    Moon Knight
    Quake
    Luke Cage(Powerman)
    Sam Wilson(Captain America)

My current direction is to champion these 4*s first depending on which are boosted during events and reserve Mordo, Riri, and Agent Vemon for last in terms of champing.  Still, I wanted to hear a second opinion on this direction.

So I didn't really like Mordo, Riri or Agent Venom at the start, I was like " Meh" I don't like them. But the game kept giving them to me. So I made a judgment call to get rid of some under covered vaulted 4 stars a while back( IW, Kingpin, Electra) , and add them to my roster. Now all three are almost fully covered after a few months( still lvl 70, I don't dump iso until they are fully covered) and I feel better that I got rid of unusable vaulted heroes and now I will soon have 3 championed usable heroes.

All three are a lot better then most people think and I've actually warmed up to Agent Venom. He will fit a roll with some tricky team combos I thought of.

The devs don't want use having vaulted heroes IMO they want use using the current 12 so I made roster space for all the current 12 and my overall strength of my roster has grown in spades.

• VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As others have said, Riri and AV aren't as terrible as they've been made out to be.  I've been pleasantly surprised by both in their pve utility, largely thanks to each having a cheap, effective power.  Are they top tier or will they win you a pvp?  Probably not, but that's a high bar.  

In fact, it's a bar I wouldn't say is reached by any of your listed 4*s either.  I have all those you've listed, and the only one I find any regular use for is c4ge in pve.  There's definitely some vaulted 4*s I'd prioritize (peggy, iceman, rulk, 4cyc, jg, etc), but none you've listed are among them.  So I'd just champ the plentiful unvaulted folk for now.  Reap the champ levels while you can, rather than tossing them in the trash to max out a vaulted 4* that's mid-range.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Champ Unpopular Vaulted 4* Heroes or Champ Strong Unvaulted 4* Heroes?

Yes.

Even lower teir ones will be helpful when boosted.  IMO you should try and champ anything.  That being said unless you've decided to start hoarding LTs and CP it's in your best benifiet to focus the current 12 first to keep from flushing those resources down the drain.  

My rule of thumb is to not champ vaulted 4* heroes (even top tier ones) unless they are boosted (happens less and less now  :'( ) or I have an extra cover for them dying on the vine.  I currently have Quake, Teen Jean, and Hawkeye all at 13 I'm only focusing Quake right now cause she has 2 covers dying on the vine.  Hawkeyes been at 13 for like 2 months waiting for some reason to champ her and it still hasn't come yet.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am facing the same issue. I started to save CP until I could champ a 4* and am focusing ISO on ones that are unvaulted. That way when I do open up tokens(I'm at like 400 CP right now after opening 3 for 20 each today), then I can at least use them to add to a champ level instead of just wasting it.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Champing non-vaulted characters will progress your roster way faster. 

I think everyone in 4* land has been caught by Mordo, Riri, and AV while they were boosted at an unfortunate moment and realized, "uh, they don't suck". 
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was doing pretty good in the Nefarious Foes PVP until I started running into high level mordos :S
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me personally, anyone in the Current 12 generally takes priority over a vaulted character, purely because you're way more likely to keep pulling their tokens for the coming weeks/months. Every champ reward helps you progress in other ways, definitely better than just selling a cover for 1000 ISO. And even characters considered to be weak can still hit pretty hard when boosted. I've champed Agent Venom, Riri and Mordo and have no regrets.

Vaulted characters won't be seeing much action, so they can sit parked at 13 covers until you happen to get a 14th cover. The only way you're getting vaulted characters is a PvE once per season or so, hitting 900 in PvP or placing in PvP, drawing from Vintage Heroic Tokens, Bonus Heroes and 3* champ rewards. I don't consider the PvP options to be reliable (esp. placement); same goes for VHTs. And BH and champ rewards don't really happen often enough to be a factor.

I did recently champ Peggy, as she was 5/5/3 and wanted to respec her to 5/3/5. But I didn't have any of the Current 12 in line to be champed, and wouldn't for the foreseeable future. If I had, they would have had the priority and Peggy would have sat at 5/5/3 for the time being.
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Those unvaulted 4*s will eventually end up in the vault. Those common "unlucky" covers will eventually become covers that you'll only achieve two or three of a year without being linked to bonus covers.

I've been vocal about vaulting before and have realized that it can be beneficial in some ways. If you're struggling for slots then go with what's beneficial to you in the short term. Vaulting may have restricted progress in some ways but it means you can have some focus on popular vaulted characters while getting covers on whoever is in the mix right now.