team winfinite: general term or specific

Tintaiwan
Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
I hear a lot people talk about team winfinite.  Some people seem to use it is general term for an unbeatable team.  But other seem to refer to something specific.  Was there a team that people dubbed winfinite? (and now is a general term)   

if it is a specific team - what is it?
Tagged:

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards

Since I've been here, it was originally 2* Magneto & Mystique until her blue was nerfed and they adjusted his purple to decrease the blue, but add random red.

Since then, it most commonly seems to refer to 3* Widow, Switch & Prof X, but otherwise any team that can sustain near-indefinite turns until victory.  It seems like there's another term for 3* Storm, Hulk, Kamala, but I can't think of it at the moment...but the premise is the same for that team, albeit slower and with reliability.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    The strictest definition is a team that, once it gets its combo set, literally never lets the other team take a Turn. The other one I can think of off the top of my head uses 2* Storm and either 2* or 3* Thor. Once you get up near 30 green AP, 2* Storm's green is clearing nearly half the board, not even counting cascades. By the time your green runs low enough, you almost certainly have enough yellow to fire off Thunder Strike a couple of times, which should top your green up again. Rinse and repeat. Mix in Wind Storms, Mjolnir's Mights, and whatever your third character has (but no green or yellow. Those are reserved for the battery characters) as AP becomes available.

The Switch/GSBW/Prof X team can get rolling faster, tho, and doesn't have anyone as squishy as 2* Storm to try to protect, so it gets used more often.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    I use it as a generic term and try to name the actually team. Eg Charlie's angels for px/sw/gsbw and I forget what name I used for kk/mohawk/cyke (was hulk initially, so maybe angrystorm/angryladies but didn't fit when hulk was switched out for cyke)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Generic term for any team that can produce a repetitive (or "infinite") cycle that doesn't allow the enemy team to have a turn. Specific teams require their own name, so people know which winfinite team you are talking about.

Charlie's Angels it the classic Professor X, Grey Suit Black Widow, and Scarlet Witch team.

Hulkfinite is the 3* Hulk, Mohawk Storm, and Kamala Khan team.

I know of two other teams, that don't appear to have names. Hulkfinite can be done subbing out Hulk for 4* Cyclops (provided he is low enough for his yellow to generate more green AP). I got through Boss Rush because of that team, and somewhere have a picture of Cyke's yellow countdown boosted up to 28-30 turns or something, because I kept it going that long without giving the enemy a turn.

And then you can get a fairly decent team with 3* Magneto, Mohawk Storm, and Loki, as they have enough board shuffle between them to be "near infinite" (which means it might arguably not be a winfinite team in the first place, even though it comes close).
  • finlanderboy
    finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I got some winfinite out of cmags, 4verine, and loki.   Camgs removes team ups, and has a blue shuffle.  4verine removes one color, and has 2 other cascade like abilities, and loki can shuffle with pink for cheap.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen Hulk, KK, MoStorm referred to as Hulk Bomb. I prefer calling it Gamma Storm personally. Its best use is versus later round bosses where a single match can activate Anger and start filling the board with green matches. Storm quickly gets enough for Lightning Strikes, KK heals back the damage Hulk took and converts more tiles to green for more matches for more Lightning. You shouldn't use Hailstorm, since that interferes with Inhuman Stretchiness, and Smash drains your green AP so don't Smash. With Hulk boosted during Sinister Six event, it may be a good time to use it, depending on the boss mechanics.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    zodiac339 said:
    I've seen Hulk, KK, MoStorm referred to as Hulk Bomb. I prefer calling it Gamma Storm personally. Its best use is versus later round bosses where a single match can activate Anger and start filling the board with green matches. Storm quickly gets enough for Lightning Strikes, KK heals back the damage Hulk took and converts more tiles to green for more matches for more Lightning. You shouldn't use Hailstorm, since that interferes with Inhuman Stretchiness, and Smash drains your green AP so don't Smash. With Hulk boosted during Sinister Six event, it may be a good time to use it, depending on the boss mechanics.
    Never tryed this team. Will do in upcomming event :)

(Stuck in quote because mobile phone)
  • csista
    csista Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Not quite winfinite, but a team that got close for me when I was all 3* was Magneto/Widow/IM40. The key is to work on purple and green right away so that Widow is good to go as soon as recharge goes off. Use Magneto red and then blue. Twice for blue if you can and if there are plenty of blue/red tiles out for it. If there aren't enough tiles out, use it after Widow snipes. Then Widow purple and green. After Widow green, you should have enough team up tiles back to use Magneto red again. All the cascading begins to create enough of a loop that 80% of the time I've finished the match before IM40 comes out of stun.
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    For me it was 3*Storm/Thor/KK, all feeding into green that feeds everyone else.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    4 stars: Carol, Cyclops, and Venom ramp up and can basically dump heaps of AP. I wouldn't call them winfinite so much as a rapid way to generate and maintain AP.

4 stars: Carol and Star-Lord with 3* Cap have a really nice rotation, in that decreased yellow costs enable NET ap gains from Cap's red and blue. So it's not infinite, but really capable of momentum.
  • Naked_Samurai
    Naked_Samurai Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Kamala Khan + Quick Silver + Iron Fist 3☆

Basically, you target just pink and black gems. Use Iron Fist's pink (Iron Fist of K'un Lun) to generate more black and when you have enough black use Quick Silver's black (Idle Hands), use it to match either a match 5 pink or black to generate another Iron Fist of K'un Lun or another Idle Hands. Keep repeating the process. You can basically keep using Idle Hands back to back if done right and the other team wont even get a turn. You'll randomly match some blues which will also lower Quick Silver's cost for Idle Hands making it even easier to keep the "infinite" going. On top of that, using so many special attacks will have Kamala Khan constantly healing.

I used this team to beat so many teams back when I was still in 3☆ levels... dood!
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2021
    Hi! New here, and already necro-ing a thread!

Recently I've been running 2* Bullseye (3/5/5) with 3* Magneto (3/5/5) and 3* Black Widow(5/3/5.) Full Rainbow coverage, and once BW has 11 purple, she feeds BE green, and the chain starts. Mag Red and Blue help out immensely, and I pull off BE's black 4 crit 12K damage about every other game. It loses if I can't get the chain started, but if I can, it wins reliably based on a winifinite concept. I call it the "Perpetual Motion Train", but you guys can probably come up with a better name for it. 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2021
    My favorite winfinite team is one I call Femme Fatale: Black Widow/Storm/Scarlet Witch (all 3*). Focus on matching purple (Scarlet helps here), then use Widow's purple to create green. Use Storm's green to destroy tiles and gain AP. Use her yellow for team-ups when there are 7 or more. Use Widow's red to destroy as many blue, black and team-up tiles when the board is low on green or purple. When you run out of green AP, you should have enough purple for Widow to create more green again. Rinse and repeat. If the tile RNG really hates you, then use Storm's black to swarm the field with attack tiles to wear down that last enemy.

I've used it consistently in events against Galactus, Apocalypse, Sinister Six, etc. It obliterates non-matchers and is good enough to take on some 5* teams once without HP. I've used this team to take down almost every team except iHulkoye. Don't take on iHulkoye. They're cannibals who will eat you alive and ask for seconds.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    At higher levels, Beta Ray Bill, Polaris and 4-star Thanos can get to Winfinite pretty easily.

1. BRB makes some protect tiles at the start of the match.
    2. Match some protect tiles. Polaris makes more, and BRB generates blue and green AP.
    3. Use blue to stun someone (Polaris) or make even more protects when you're damaged (BRB)
    4. Use Thanos's green to destroy half the board.  Destroyed protects will generate more Blue and green AP.
    5. Stun lock the other team with Polaris's blue.
    6. Once they're all stunned, use BRB's blue to deal damage.  If you have 24+ green AP, cast Skuttlebutt once
    7. If you have enough black, use Thanos's black for a bit of chip damage
    8. Repeat steps 4-7 until the other team is dead.

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    At higher levels, Beta Ray Bill, Polaris and 4-star Thanos can get to Winfinite pretty easily.

2. Match some protect tiles. Polaris makes more, and BRB generates blue and green AP.
    3. Use blue to stun someone (Polaris) or make even more protects when you're damaged (BRB)
    4. Use Thanos's green to destroy half the board.  Destroyed protects will generate more Blue and green AP.
    6. Once they're all stunned, use BRB's blue to deal damage.  If you have 24+ green AP, cast Skuttlebutt once

Why are you stun locking?? It's a waste of blue that can be used to damage with BRB, it also adds strikes that slow the winfinite down. 

Once you have the board filled with protects, each fire of Thanos Green (step 4) should easily create at least 12 more green meaning you can fire it again without the opposition having a turn (stun or not).  That's what makes this winfinite.  Generally I find firing Thanos green results in 30 green and 30 blue = Skuttlebut x1, 5x Clash of Worthy then Thanos Green and repeat.  Only avoid Skuttlebut if green < 24 (step 6)

The only time Ploaris blue is needed is early in the match if you have a particularly tricky opponent (Carnage generally) that needs taken out of action while you get protects on the board.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor

1* Juggernaut can get started faster than Thanos, his green destroys half as many tiles for half the cost.  (16 tiles for 6 green AP, as opposed to 32 tiles for 12 green AP)
  • Punter1
    1* Juggernaut can get started faster than Thanos, his green destroys half as many tiles for half the cost.  (16 tiles for 6 green AP, as opposed to 32 tiles for 12 green AP)
    I've tried with Juggs, but find he's not as reliable as Thanos.  The only benefit is being able to fire green a bit quicker, but more often than not, when you fire early, there's not enough protects yet to start winfinite.  You also rarely generate enough green (>18) to allow Skuttlebut to fire so slows down damage,  I prefer the extra turn or 2 to get Thanos started to then have speedier results once going.
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2021
    I was having trouble beating the 5* Scarlet Witch level in the Dark Reign event on SCL8. The 4th time they are all level 385, and my highest is 271 (Yes, I'm probably hitting above my paygrade this time.) Lost a few times, until I brought out 2* Bullseye and 3* Black Widow as Wanda's other 2. The winfinite combo of those 2 allowed me to get the win, the chain not coming to a stop until I had just half-health Juggernaut left to deal with.

BW purple sets up BE green (or just start with BE green.) Use BE green then to, depending on the board position and what you have and need for AP, set up either:

BW Purple (optimal)
    BE Green again (also optimal)
    BE Black
    BW Red
    possibly BW green, but I usually only use this if I have 30 AP (so I still have enough for BE to use it again) or it's a finishing move.

All of these are board manipulations to generate the AP you need to hopefully keep the chain going.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punter1 said:

Why are you stun locking?? It's a waste of blue that can be used to damage with BRB, it also adds strikes that slow the winfinite down. 

Once you have the board filled with protects, each fire of Thanos Green (step 4) should easily create at least 12 more green meaning you can fire it again without the opposition having a turn (stun or not).  That's what makes this winfinite.  Generally I find firing Thanos green results in 30 green and 30 blue = Skuttlebut x1, 5x Clash of Worthy then Thanos Green and repeat.  Only avoid Skuttlebut if green < 24 (step 6)

The only time Ploaris blue is needed is early in the match if you have a particularly tricky opponent (Carnage generally) that needs taken out of action while you get protects on the board.

I stun lock because every once in a while I accidentally fire Skuttlebutt when I shouldn't, so I need a turn or two to get enough green to start the process over again.  Plus, I've had a few Cascades of Doom (TM) that have taken out BRB even with the protect tiles on the board.  Stunning everyone prevents those from taking place.

Is it necessary with perfect play?  No.
    Do I play perfectly?  Not a chance.

I generally get 24+ green off of Thanos's green pretty easily, but the 30 blue is not as common as I would like, so it's usually only 4x Clash of Worthy.
  • Punter1
    edited May 2021

Plus, I've had a few Cascades of Doom (TM) that have taken out BRB even with the protect tiles on the board.  Stunning everyone prevents those from taking place.
    What cascades are you getting on your turn that are wiping BRB or even doing any damage to you?  Is this after your over excited Skuttlebut fire followed by an opponent turn?  

There are for sure occasions when stun locking is needed, but I find more often than not this Winfinite combo can get rolling without it.  Once rolling, just make sure to check green AP before firing Skuttlebut, it's pretty brainless.

As a note I have Carol's Communicator on Polaris & Cull Obsidian on Thanos for added start of match protects.  Wong on BRB for chance of extra blue.