Release more powerful new characters.

Options
Wumpushunter
Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
Looking at any rating of 4 stars almost none of the new 12 are any way near the top most of them like sandman are dead last. Want to cool the ire of vaulting then stop removing top 10s and adding bottom 50s.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really? To my mind, the only ones who are really bad are Sandman and Agent Venom, and AV gets at least somewhat better once he's fully covered. C4rol and Bl4de are staples, Medusa is awesome, C&D, R&G, and Coulson are solid. Gwenpool has metagame concerns (you need to keep the list of options for 'Sploits handy), but can be great. Mordo, Riri, and Gamora are all sort of awkwardly designed, but not terrible by any means.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sure, Agent Venom is just TERRIBLE.
    I mean, that black? 15k damage for 5 AP, it's HORRIBLE.
    Don't even get me started on red, 26k for a 10 AP, a total slap in the face, almost as bad as Riri.

Seriously, don't diss characters you haven't seen champed at high levels.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Compare them to ice man, red hulk, and Peggy and everyone comes up lacking.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So they aren't top 10% characters.....instead you'll find the tier just below that stuffed full of the latest 12 and its recently departed (a category I could put Peggy in).

And having 11/12 of the current batch champed and having used them as boosted champs, every single one is solid in that state and I'm not sorry to use them.  
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Sure, Agent Venom is just TERRIBLE.
    I mean, that black? 15k damage for 5 AP, it's HORRIBLE.
    Don't even get me started on red, 26k for a 10 AP, a total slap in the face, almost as bad as Riri.

Seriously, don't diss characters you haven't seen champed at high levels.
    This.

I've been using Agent Venom with Peggy and Spiderwoman in the Hunt and yeah, Peggy's passive is great, but AV has been taking everyone out before she gets a look in with red or blue.

I've always thought he was underrated. It's nice to have him boosted alongside Peggy and see that yes, he is good.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just finished SHIELD with 4* Marvel (mostly meeting Medusa + Blade/Carnage combo) and her 5000+ strike tiles are amazing :D
    All new chars are powerful (except for Gwenpool maybe) if you know how to use (abuse?) them.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I'm just frustrated with him right now, because I've been forced to use him with just 4 Covers in The Hunt, and I'm really having trouble coming up with teams from my available roster that either pair well with him, or can take those fights as a 2 on 3. So many of my good characters run afoul of Alien Weakness when he's this poorly covered.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We don't need more artificial power creep. The new ones are actually very good and putting Iceman, Rhulk or Peggy automatically on top is wrong - this game is 3 vs 3 and this is how they should be looked upon. Rulk or Iceman get run when not boosted (outside of Simulator but there are no boosts there). And Carol or Medusa do (while I admit that Peggy does sometimes as well). 

Of the last releases only Sandman seems a bit off in terms of power. Groocket is great and will dominate when more players champ him. Gamora is strong and interesting. Cloak&D can be fun when you have black user. They are very powerful and they make most of the vaulted 4* obsolete (just look realistically at the ranking - old time leader Hulkbuster is now probably out of top10). 

As for Agent Venom. He can be great when boosted and you can breeze in the Hunt PvE this week. I pair him with 3* Iron fist and lvl70 cloack&D (undercovered as well but they produce some black). Just collect black and keep killing them. Peggy doesn't get a run and she is boosted - without IM40 she is just too slow for PvE. 

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeah I think I'd rather have new characters be interesting (and not a complete fail would also be great) than 5% better than any other new character released before.

I think that's really where Sandman and Star-Lord (as examples) really fall flat. They're just not that interesting.

I presume that's also why Mordo hasn't really been brought up in this thread yet; he's not powerful, but everything at least holds together in an interesting way, so there's the hope that he'll find a home for someone, somewhere.

I also want to point out that community "ratings" really need to be taken with a grain of salt. While undoubtedly helpful, they represent for the most part only a single person's opinion, and some personal preference could easily account for ranking shifts of up to (something like) 5 places, as a lot of characters are clearly very close in ranking. 

Also, looking at a couple of popular ranking documents, it's clear to me that characters don't really start getting "bad" until around 45th place, which is pretty damn good in a pool of 50/52 characters. And many of those bottom 10-15% are quite old.