Black Panther Move or Be Moved Not Firing in Response to Countdown Based AOE Attacks

Options
Recently I created a bug report about enemy passives not firing correctly. I fear I may have combined a bug that had been fixed (i.e. storm's yellow passive not responding to sentry's supernova due to the "bonus" damage being treated as a separate attack) with one that still exists (Black Panther's red passive not firing in response to certain enemy attacks). Forgive me for creating a somewhat duplicate issue, but I believe it will be beneficial in the long run.

My initial bug report for Black Panther dealt with his Move or Be Moved not being triggered on a 5* Thanos Come and Get Me! attack from the opposing team. In the recent Strange Sightings PVE I noticed that it also did not fire in response to the Mindless Devastator Eye Beam attack (which perhaps not coincidently is another countdown based AOE attack). This happened on multiple occasions and I can't tell you how frustrating it was when facing Mindless One enemies with over 40k health to be hit by this 18k AOE damage and not at least be whittling down the health on one of them with Black Panther's passive.

@Tombstone would you please have the developers look into this specific case. I know that bugs take time to find and fix and if I could have just some assurances that this particular error is being investigated that would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the confusion my initial bug report may have caused by lumping two potentially unrelated issues into the same report.

Thanks!

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    MoBM does not trigger vs team damage attacks; this has been stated (by Tombstone, https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/63696/) to be the intent of the power at this time. No one here agrees, but that's the way it is.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. As per your post in that thread and other's comments it seems the wording should be changed. A textual description has to be the easiest kind of bug to fix. The developer's can claim it's not a bug and that it's working as designed, but if there are discrepancies between the way a power is worded amongst characters in the game (as Jaedenkaal) points out in the previously referenced posts) it seems like change is in order.

While some things are intuitive like how invisibility wouldn't protect against an attack that is not targeted and therefore does not need to be spelled out. To say that players must interpret on a character by character basis taking into account the nature of the attack and a characters power set as depicted in print and movies seems like a stretch.

These are catlike reflexes and/or Vibranium based armor we are talking about here. I think a strong case could be made that Black Panther would fare better than some of his fellow super heroes even against AOE attacks (i.e. if a Mindless Devastator is flashing his Eye Beam around are we saying that Black Panther couldn't dodge that and/or absorb some of the energy and not suffer the same amount of damage as a super hero that doesn't have his skill set or armament). I'm not saying we should complicate things by thinking about things at this level. I think clarifying where necessary whether a defense is effective vs AOE or not is sufficient enough.

The fact that the original question had to be taken back to the developers for clarification means a simple reading of the power description is not enough to reach a logical conclusion. Response such as the one in the previous thread do not offer the end user closure or validation. It also seems like a bit of a cop out.

There is something to be said in "avoiding the appearance of evil" or in this case avoiding the appearance of a bug. If what I see happening in game doesn't match what a reasonable person would expect when reading an in game description of the power something needs to change. The power states "If Black Panther would take X or more damage, negate 60% of that damage and stun him for 2 turns". It does not state how that damage is delivered (AOE vs targeted). Do we really want to be setting a precedent that the end user is expected to divine what the developer's perception of how a power should operate is?

The question I would ask @Brigby and @Tombstone to ask the developers is this. Does the current wording for Black Panther's Move or Be Moved power adequately clarify that this power has no affect against AOE attacks? If the answer is No, then it seems some change is in order. There were several excellent suggestions in the previous thread.

Look I face a bunch of 5* Black Panther's in PVP on a regular basis. So while this AOE exception hurts me on defense it helps me on offense. That being said before they change the wording I think it may be worth revisiting the character and asking the question should this power be activated by AOE attacks. Either way something more should be done. People shouldn't require forum access to determine how powers operate.

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For once, I'm going to use less fewer words to rephrase what someone else said.  Skill effects should always correctly describe the limitations of the skill.  Any limitations left unstated (for reasons of brevity or clarity) should be consistent throughout the game, the way AoE or random targeting and invisibility are meant to be.  5* Black Panther's skill description does not accurately describe the skill, and it can be corrected easily.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I have informed the developers of this issue, and they will be sure to look into it. I will relay to the community what their response and action is.