Which is the best/worst powers in the game?

Options
talleman
talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
As the title says. What power do you think is the best/worst in the game and why do you think so? I know we are all in different stage of the game and if you are a 3* player you might think a 3 power is best and if youre a 5* player you might think a 5* power is the best but there are no right and wrong here just your opinion :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    4* Venom (Brock) black passive takes the cake for me.

It's a mostly worthless skill (reducing enemy protect tile strength) that you need to set to 5 if you don't want it to actively help your opponent (by buffing their attack tiles)

So not only is it near-useless by itself, it also makes one of his other skills worse.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,114 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I assume we're talking non-Bagman division here, talleman? :)

The best active power, for me, is Jean Grey's Mind over Matter. It deals a lot of damage to the enemy team, and takes away a lot of the special tiles that are bugging you. In 3-star land, it's Iron Man's Recharge, if only because it lets you do everything else that much quicker.

Best passive in the game is Peggy's Legendary Presence, which slows everyone down. The best passive powers in 3-star land belong to Dr Strange and Thanos. Strange makes goon nodes go away very quickly, and Court Death makes waves go equally fast.

Worst active powers on 4-stars? Probably Nick Fury's purple. It would be so much better without the three turn delay to create the strike tile. Sentry's Supernova is pretty bad for the 3-star world, but not quite as bad as Ragnarok's green. Both hit your own team for damage, but at least Supernova is a bit cheaper.

I've got to agree with Starfury's comment for worst 4-star passive. Although it's saved my butt a number of times, Deadpool's Life of the Party has killed him off right before I'm ready to Whale the other team more times than I can count. Generally, the 3-star passives are all pretty good.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Worst power that comes to mind is Psylocke's Bewilder. Too expensive to use as a deterrent, 3-turn countdown means there's a good chance it will never fire anyway (and I know you can reduce the countdown to 2 at 5 covers, but no one will ever use that spec willingly), and it will almost never do what you want, since either the computer will use the AP you want to steal before it resolves, or it will be stealing AP in a color that the opponent can't use.

Best power is tricky.  If I wanted to maximize its effectiveness (so it's the best for pretty much any team), I'd probably go with 4* Star-Lord's Everyone With Me.  AP reduction plus AP gain works with everyone except primarily black users.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I assume we're talking non-Bagman division here, talleman? :)
    Well of course ;)
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hard to pick one power as the best, but I will say Dr Strange's blue, Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, is awesome. 3 turn stun, 9 ap reduction, and good damage. Also love Cyclops yellow- great ap generation that can work for any color.

I'm feeling like Sandman's yellow is the worst power, but I haven't been able to try it out much yet. Riri's blue is often completely useless but it is unique so I will give it some brownie points. Maybe Venom's green, since it is way too expensive at base and can only be lowered to 7. Either that or Wolverines green, since it does not do any damage
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Worst power may be Sandman's yellow.  It is terrible for effect and damage and he is a 4*.Other worst power shout outs - 4* XFW green, 3* Spidey yellow, 3* Cap yellow (too expensive - maybe used once or twice in 3 years and I used to use 3* Cap a lot when I was in 3* meta), 4* Miles yellow.  While Nick Fury's purple isn't great, I wouldn't call it the worst ability in the game by far. If you don't like the countdown tile aspect, then you don't like a lot of powers in the game.  What his ability actually does, AP steal, damage and producing a tile at 5 covers is actually not bad.

Best power- there are too many good ones imo to list a single best power but I will say IM40 yellow if I had to pick one.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My vote for best power is Peggy's blue.  Use it right before killing off 1 enemy, and you end up with the whole team stunned for 3 turns and a ton of damage done.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My preference varies depending on who i have on my team and who I'm fighting.
    Strange's (3* or 5*) yellow is great against goons, but not much help against tile movers.
    That's probably my second favorite behind 4* Star Lord's yellow.

For the worst, I hate anything that hurts my team, which is why I never use Carnage or Sentry unless required. Also means I'm not a fan of Thanos's Court Death, even though it seems to be popular with a lot of people.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Worst power may be Sandman's yellow. 
    Yikes. Worse than Give and Take? Not a chance. Sand Crush -can- at least do serviceable damage, while Give and Take is -at best- a 60% nerf to your opponent's Protect tiles, which they might not even have, and at that point you've had to cut one of your actual damage powers. I think it could even be better than Striking Distance (Sand Crush, I mean). Man, Striking Distance is terrible.

I can agree that Recharge is one of the most impactful single abilities out there.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jaedenkaal said:

Man, Striking Distance is terrible.
    Are you talking about 4* Thor's Yellow? I love Striking Distance!  AoE damage and it eliminates enemy special and countdown tiles. You have to cut her other powers to get to level 5 for the countdown tiles to be effected too, but the other two are strong enough at level 4 that I don't mind.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are you talking about 4* Thor's Yellow? I love Striking Distance!  AoE damage and it eliminates enemy special and countdown tiles. You have to cut her other powers to get to level 5 for the countdown tiles to be effected too, but the other two are strong enough at level 4 that I don't mind.
    12 AP for ~2000 AoE damage, at the expense of two really good powers? I'm out.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's difficult to decide on the best one. But the worst ones, imo, are

2*: Not many choices here, but 2* Cap's yellow is probably the worst one.
    3*: Rag's green: Expensive, checked. Low damage, checked. Deal self-team damage, checked.
    4*: 4Venom's black. The one and only power that does almost nothing for you but gives a nice bonus to your opponents.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    3* land. Sentry is top on my list for terrible. 2/3 abilities hurts team, and your third helps kill yourself. Really? Best, or at least most loved for me in three land. This is tough. I love 3* cap shield to face, pricy, but fun. Bullseye and his strike spamming can be so great at times.
    4* Carnage is torture. Period. Best. I am in love with Carol.