Hearthstone dupe changes- would they work for PQ?

Options
Phase
Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
Article (from US Gamer):
Blizzard Improves Legendary Card Draws in Hearthstone Packs for Upcoming Expansion

Summary
  • Players cannot open duplicate legendary cards from packs (in part to alleviate anxiety around crafting them)
  • Guaranteed legendary card in the first ten packs of any new set
  • No more than 2 of the same common, rare or epic card in a pack (2 is the maximum allowable amount of a single card in a deck)

Discuss how this could be applied to MtGPQ. How do we balance this for us? Will we be left wanting this after the dupe exchange system comes in? Is it OK to ask for non-dupe masterpieces if the most popular digital card game on the planet is doing it?

Comments

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Seems to me that it would encourage buying.  Sure you might get 5 new mythic cards, but if things go really badly you will at least get one.  I can't even count how many posts on these forums about spending hundreds of dollars on offers, packs, etc to end up with nothing but dupes to show for it.  It's hard to imagine that these people keep going back to that rancid well.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    positive reinforcement versus negative reinforcement. Both will bring people back for a time, but only positive reinforcement will continue in perpetuity. Negative will make people continue until a better deal comes along (like HS)
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hate talking about dupes. I feel like every time I materialize the word in my head, bam! 2 more dupes. They're a fact of life. I get that. In paper mtg dupe rares are sweet. You can play with 4 copies of a card, though. According to the table I just read, I'm on the lucky end of the curve. I have 17 unique rares out of 41rare pulls. I don't have a single rare I don't have at least 2 of. I've actually been playing a game where I try to call the next dupe I get. I was trying to stay optimistic about this crafting, but the fact that it sounds like they don't even have a concrete plan in place isn't filling me with warm fuzzies. I really enjoy this game, but what used to be my favorite part fills me with dread. Every time I see the little mana symbol spazz out I'm like "sweet another play set completed" before I even see the card. I don't mind spending money on the game, but it feels mostly pointless right now. Exclusive mythics are about the only thing that I get excited about anymore. That and pulling new uncommons. I want to believe. I just desperately need something to believe in. Delayed til question marks isn't quite it. Give me a reason to give more dimes to the machine. 
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't have a single rare I don't have at least 2 of.
    You might not realise it, but that's highly unusual (unless you've got all rares).  If you're able to post screenshots of your rare collection, it might help to understand what's going on.