How far do you go in PvP progression?

2»

Comments

• Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017
    900, cover 4*
    900 for the 4* - pretty much clockwork.

I can pure climb to over 850 most any event/boosted list, usually just takes one hop and done after that to get my 900.  If I can't use the cover I'll still get the 850 regardless.  I could probably push and hop/climb to 1000 consistently, but there's little to no value in any intermediate score between 900 and 1200 imo, so I don't waste my time or HP.  

I would expect a larger survey to have the biggest spikes at 400, 575, and 900.  As my roster grew from 3* transition to 4* the last 9 or so months those were my target points - with 725 briefly in between 575 and 900.

***Condensing @Spidurman27 's posts - Ducky

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i free fall after hitting 575. if the timing is right, i play until the first hit comes in and shield for the last 3hours, usually around 650.
    if i badly need the 4 star at 900, most of the time i get it by wasting waaay too much hp on shields and dp points
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    900, cover 4*
    900 for me. I can usually hit that in any slice, but the slice I usually play in gets t25. 

Off topic, with a lot of 412 3*s out there, how has that changed the mmr, if any?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    575, CP
    Calnexin said:
    I'm able to hit 900 most of the time.  It takes 3-5 shields to get there, and it's virtually impossible to climb higher.  The highest I've ever gotten was around 940, and I frequently end below 900 after getting hit on the way out of the 4* reward match.

If it's a cover I don't really want or need I hit 575 and let it decay, maybe picking up a few points near the end if it's feasible to jump a reward tier.
    Which slice and when do you climb because your roster is similar or even better than mine and I climb from 650ish straight to 900 with no shields and rarely much bother.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    725, HP
    725 is my current unshielded cap for most events, so if I can get there, great, if not I always hit 575.
  • dijidiji
    dijidiji Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    300, token (or lower)
    I usually stop at 100.  Get a little ISO, get some alliance rewards.  I can easily go 650 if I want to put in the time, but I'm all about #TheCasualLife.

I went over 10,000 all the way back in Season 1, and swore I'd never try that hard again.  I've never even attempted 900.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    575, CP
    Usually I push to 575. Sometimes, if I don't really feel like dealing with it, I'll just go to 400. I think P&P is the only one since I actually learned how the PvP system works that I haven't made it to 400 in.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    dijidiji said:
    I usually stop at 100.  Get a little ISO, get some alliance rewards.  I can easily go 650 if I want to put in the time, but I'm all about #TheCasualLife...

See this sentiment about PvP being time consuming often in the forum.

How far progression wise do you go in pve? Because I've always found pve to be by a wide margin more time consuming. If you do max progression in pve then #TheCasualLife does not compute.

PvP play for me is about an hour to three hours (not always sustained) of play every two days and 900 to 1300 points. I dread or don't play PVE.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Depends on how much time I've got. I've I have all the free time in the world, I go for 900.

Since the 5th PvE clear came around, I rarely have enough time to bother with PvP as well, so it's more like 300-575.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    1200, CP

1200+ on first shield, then maybe one or two hops for T5 if I can be bothered.
    Except for some off-seasons abominations like BOP that should be killed with fire.

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starfury said:
    Depends on how much time I've got. I've I have all the free time in the world, I go for 900.

Since the 5th PvE clear came around, I rarely have enough time to bother with PvP as well, so it's more like 300-575.
    So that's what I'm not understanding. PvP is quick and pve consumes a lot of time.

Wouldn't it be "barely have enough time to bother with PVE". 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    900, cover 4*

My climb to 900 usually fails first time because once I get to 750+ I seem to attract attention and get beaten down more quickly than I can climb.  If I can't get to 900 without a shield I'll put up one while I'm still over 800.  Then either bother trying to reach 900 or not, depending on who the 4* is.

As long as I get enough points each event to reach my season target of 10k, I is content.

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Starfury said:

So that's what I'm not understanding. PvP is quick and pve consumes a lot of time.

Wouldn't it be "barely have enough time to bother with PVE". 
    In short:
    • There's more ISO in PvE (overall as well as per time spent)
    • The fights are easier
    • If you're content with placing in the top 10%, PvE is a much more relaxed experience

To elaborate a bit further:

PvE rewards are designed in a way to keep you playing:
    2 clears give you a 4* character.
    BUT if you don't play clears 3/4 you don't get the biggest iso node rewards.
    BUT if you stop at 4, you're missing the big CP stash at the end.
    (And then there's green-checking everything although that's not worth all that much compared to the effort.)

I.e. there's always something big you'd miss by reducing your PvE playtime below 5 clears.

PvP in contrast just doesn't offer nearly enough rewards, especially as far as ISO is concerned. Each match is worth around 200 iso if you're being generous (30 iso for not skipping, 30 iso for the 2 xp, 140 iso for the post battle reward). That's a great deal for LR seeds but other than that, not so much.

It also doesn't help that there's no bonus rewards awarded in PvP.

Once I move past 700 points and it's open season, PvP is just not that much of an enjoyable experience. I'll never have to stop playing and shield up in PvE because I'm queued by so many other players that I'm losing as many points as I'm gaining. I can play my matches when I have time (at the price of not clearing optimally)

And when I'm done with a PvE event I can lean back wait for my 3* covers as placement reward (even when I've played far from optimally). If I'm "done" with PvP I'm then forced to spend a bunch of HP on a shield or I'll lose so many points that I'll end up with Moonstone covers.

Finally, while I'm sick and tired of the Dark Avengers, it's not like I'll get more varied opponents in PvP. At least the Dark Avengers don't go overboard with passives and animations (except that one jerk dressed in purple )
  • garbanzo
    garbanzo Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    725, HP
    575 is my minimum; I can reliably hit 725. I can't always make 800. I've only made 900 a couple times--but I've tried hard for it more often than that.

After hitting 575, my usual goal is high enough placement for 3* covers. Below SCL8, 725 is usually enough, I find.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    575, CP
    dijidiji said:
    I usually stop at 100.  Get a little ISO, get some alliance rewards.  I can easily go 650 if I want to put in the time, but I'm all about #TheCasualLife...

See this sentiment about PvP being time consuming often in the forum.

How far progression wise do you go in pve? Because I've always found pve to be by a wide margin more time consuming. If you do max progression in pve then #TheCasualLife does not compute.

PvP play for me is about an hour to three hours (not always sustained) of play every two days and 900 to 1300 points. I dread or don't play PVE.
    PvE is definitely more time consuming, but nothing can take away the progress you've made in it.  My experience with PvP has often been I put in time one day, the next day I've lost 30% of my progression so the next day I have to do that 30% + some, to come back the next day and be back to about the same place I was.

PvE is like digging a hole in the dirt for a few days.  It's a lot harder to dig in dirt and it's gonna be exhausting, but you have a clear sense of accomplishment and achievement.

PvP is like digging a hole in the sand.  It's easier, but the sand will frequently shift back in.  Then once a day the tide will come in and undo most if not all of your work.

If they could fix PvP to not backslide so much I'd consider it more worth my time.  I've seen suggestions about once you reach certain levels your points can't drop below those (even if they were only every 300 points or so) this would be a huge improvement IMO.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    300, token (or lower)
    I agree with broll and Starfury.  To me, PvP rewards are not worth the effort, and I don't want to spend the HP to stay shielded.

I will check every PvP event to see if I catch any seeds, but usually don't do more than that unless I've hit a lull in PvE, like when I've completed the Gauntlet, and I have to wait a day for the next event.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    575, CP
    I cant really play much pvp because they match make me vs people with 2 five stars almost every time. If my highest character is 200 why am I facing 355s
    To keep you running on the treadmill, of course. My highest (non boosted) character is 275, I have none of this week's 4* boosted fully covered, and I start seeing the 355s and up right out of the gate. Look, there's champ Blade and champ Carol. And another one. And another one. Oh, there's a champ Nova. Ugh.

So, 575 and I happily bail most of the time.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    1200, CP
    ***Please keep the thread on topic. If you wish to discuss the merits of time spent playing PvP vs PvE, please create another thread. Thanks!***
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    575, CP
    I hit at least 575, occasionally more than that depending on how much time I have or who's boosted. I would love to get to 900 more consistently, but the time and frustration usually mean I tap out before it happens. Typically above 700 it becomes "one step forward, two steps back" more often than not.