Angel of Sanctions - That's Too Much!

2»

Comments

• ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    $10-$20 - Why can't they unbundle and run micro-transactions!!!
    I missed the "I really don't care" option.
    Althought i have to admit - this single card should be worth more than a Planeswalker?
    Any pw they offer you know you will be able to buy. Any card is a crapshoot. I'm kind of kicking myself over not buying the Boomship when it was for sale, although was it $25?  Not buying Tezz 2?  Meh. I got it a few weeks later for 650 crystals. How many premium packs would I need to fish out the one card I want?  Probably a lot more than 2...
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    ZW2007- said:
    My sweet spot for cards would be $15. 
    $15 is my sweet spot too. It's the number that came to mind when I read the title of this poll. 
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017
    Less than $10 - Eh, not really my thing
    I might consider it for $5. The prices in this game always struck as though D3 has no idea that "micro" is part of "micro-transaction." It is ridiculous that they sell 100 gold for $5, which is saying a booster is $3. A real life magic booster is commonly found for around $3, and you get thrice the number of cards. Plus there, a guaranteed rare or better. 

I honestly don't know how they conclude this makes them more money. If they sell 100 of these at $40, that's $4k. But if they sold 1000 at $5, that's $5k. Obviously I am guessing at the numbers, but it seems blatantly obvious no one involved with the pricing has taken a basic economics course.
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    by pricing it like this tho they manage to ensure it remains as a rare card and doesn't upset the balance of the game. If everyone bought it then it might as well be a common? 
  • Dsagent
    Dsagent Posts: 73 Match Maker
    I want more individual cards in the vault even uncommons and rares.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    $20-30 - I would love to own, but its not happening.
    by pricing it like this tho they manage to ensure it remains as a rare card and doesn't upset the balance of the game. If everyone bought it then it might as well be a common? 

That is a very pay to win attitude even if it holds some truth. 

This is yet another reason I am in the "Let people actually collect the cards" camp. If 5-10% of top players/spenders could get every card, I think players would spend far more money chasing cards with the desire to complete collections.  At this point, I see no purpose in spending money. It was virtually impossible to collect every card, even from the SOI block.  Don't even get my started on post austerity.

• Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    $10 and I can skip going out to eat on Friday. I can't justify $40 in my head for a [digital] card. Unbundle and sell single cards. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    I'm so relieved to hear I'm NOT actually the only one who balks at these hilarious prices. Sometimes I swear it feels like every other player I meet has unlimited cash to miraculously acquire hands full of mythics.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    naphomci said:
    I might consider it for $5. The prices in this game always struck as though D3 has no idea that "micro" is part of "micro-transaction." It is ridiculous that they sell 100 gold for $5, which is saying a booster is $3. A real life magic booster is commonly found for around $3, and you get thrice the number of cards. Plus there, a guaranteed rare or better. 

I honestly don't know how they conclude this makes them more money. If they sell 100 of these at $40, that's $4k. But if they sold 1000 at $5, that's $5k. Obviously I am guessing at the numbers, but it seems blatantly obvious no one involved with the pricing has taken a basic economics course.
    I'm not going to pay $40 for in-game content either.

But I don't see how anyone who isn't D3 can be so sure how the market responds to various price points.  We have almost no information, and assuming the whole market consists of clones of ourselves would be a mistake.  Meanwhile, D3 know the precise sales from various pricings over the life of the game, and they may also be able to reasonably extrapolate from other games they have experience with.  They have a strong interest to maximise revenue.  There's no reason to think that their normal prices would not be set up so as to be doing exactly that.
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Volrak said:
    naphomci said:

But I don't see how anyone who isn't D3 can be so sure how the market responds to various price points.  We have almost no information, and assuming the whole market consists of clones of ourselves would be a mistake.  Meanwhile, D3 know the precise sales from various pricings over the life of the game, and they may also be able to reasonably extrapolate from other games they have experience with.  They have a strong interest to maximise revenue.  There's no reason to think that their normal prices would not be set up so as to be doing exactly that.
    Sure, we don't have direct evidence of D3's model. But the industry as a whole does have research and reports. Such as this one:
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/144329/20160325/report-finds-1-9-percent-mobile-gamers-make-app-purchases.htm
    Key takeaway:
    The average player who typically opens their wallet while mobile gaming only makes 1.8 purchases, which averages to $13.82.

Further breaking down this in-app purchase average of $13.82 reveals some interesting findings. Purchases between $0 and $5 represent 39 percent of purchases and 14.5 percent of revenue. This makes sense since people are often willing to make a $0.99 purchase.

What's even more interesting is the fact that purchases that cost over $50 account for 2.5 percent of purchases, and over 17 percent of all game revenue.

So, I stand by my statements.

If anything, this shows that D3 should be offering a range of product prices. And no, I don't count crystals. The only purchase I made in this game was the 3.99 starter pack because that was a reasonable price.

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    $20-30 - I would love to own, but its not happening.
    Volrak said:
    naphomci said:

I understand this sentiment @Volrak but I don't know that D3 has sufficient data either.  Clearly they have strong evidence on selling crystals, but for individual cards the variables are too large.  There is a big different between a Captain's Claws at $30 and a Baral at $30.   

And yeah, I know voluntary surveys are poor ways to try to gather data, but its better than us just assuming everyone in the community thinks exactly like me.

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    $40 - Perfectly priced!
    I think it was priced right with the bundle -- I might be saying that because I got good stuff in the white pack and pulled Temmet with my unobtainium though. Aka -- I'm biased. 

Also, I like his glam rock look. 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZW2007- said:
    what's the point of even playing anymore? 
    The Steam summer sale is on. Also, I'm very much enjoying Threes on Android again.
  • GamerX
    GamerX Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    $40 - Perfectly priced!
    Dsagent said:
    They have done it before.  that is how I got my first Whir of Invention.... of course I openned like 5 more in my pursuit of Lightning Runner, RE, and GAH..... may even get more as I chaise my KLD trinity.  But they have done it.  I don't remember the other cards offered with them, but it was worth it to me at the time. for $7 or $10 how ever much it was.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    $40 - Perfectly priced!
    GamerX said:
    Dsagent said:
    They have done it before.  that is how I got my first Whir of Invention.... of course I openned like 5 more in my pursuit of Lightning Runner, RE, and GAH..... may even get more as I chaise my KLD trinity.  But they have done it.  I don't remember the other cards offered with them, but it was worth it to me at the time. for $7 or $10 how ever much it was.
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods was one. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Thuran said:
    For the real-life players, you could get a single digital card for puzzlequest, or for the same money get a cavern of souls, a play set goblin guides, or maybe most of that standard deck you like!

Btw, for the sake of the discussion, just dropping this video here, which also highlights some of the problems with current MTGPQ pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
    That was a really good video. D3 could learn a lot from it. Thankyou for sharing.

Also I'm going to check out Hearthstone...
  • Twee
    Twee Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Nice ! @Thuran.  All I can say is wow, nailed it!