Experiences with and Advice on Transitioning to the 5* tier

Options
2»

Comments

• MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Question: is there a secret to pulling 5*?

I feel like I pull a good amount of LTs. I've been getting them like crazy from 3* champ rewards. I win every clash. I'm a VIP member. I always hit 575 in PVP and get full progression in PVP.

For the last 4 months I've done nothing but buy 25cp tokens, yet still my best 5* character is Hawkeye at 3/3/3. I've only received one 5* bonus character in that time.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just be hoarding?
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options

I feel like I pull a good amount of LTs. I've been getting them like crazy from 3* champ rewards. I win every clash. I'm a VIP member. I always hit 575 in PVP and get full progression in PVP.

For the last 4 months I've done nothing but buy 25cp tokens, yet still my best 5* character is Hawkeye at 3/3/3. I've only received one 5* bonus character in that time.

I was able to cover both HE and BP without hoarding. It's just RNG. I think hoarders can pull and statistically follow it. For me, I pulled 11 Thanos, 13 BP, and 13 HE as my roster got stronger and I gained more LTs and CPs. During that time I only pulled one Doc Ock and SL. I can't remember before that, but it just means that it's streaky. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No hoarding from me, just luck (and chasing down LTs from champ rewards). 16 Thanos and 13 Black Panther though once I got Panther to there, I shifted back to classics for a while.

I'm going to try the same approach as for Thanos/BP and switch back to only pulling Latests when the new Spiderman hits them.
  • CT1888
    Options
    Another thing about the transition was that I hadn't really been planning for it, so when I got Thanos's 13th cover, I didn't have the iso ready to champ him. I then kept pulling tokens, giving my 14th, 15th and 16th tokens.
    See trying to save them all (I did), it was really stressful. And not enjoyable.
    So much so, that I've had BP fully covered for a couple of months now, and I'm only just getting round to the daunting task of gathering the iso (I made the decision to rebuild the farm and keep up to date with the latest 12 instead as I couldn't face it - farm is back to full and everyone is champed who can be champed)

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    FokaiHI said:

I was able to cover both HE and BP without hoarding. It's just RNG. I think hoarders can pull and statistically follow it. For me, I pulled 11 Thanos, 13 BP, and 13 HE as my roster got stronger and I gained more LTs and CPs. During that time I only pulled one Doc Ock and SL. I can't remember before that, but it just means that it's streaky. 

The RNG is a fickle beast.  I've gone upwards of 30 pulls without a single 5*, and pulled 3 5* in 10 pulls.  Overall I was doing pretty well until about two months ago, then my pull rate dropped like a stone.  It seems to have normalized now though I'm still down 7.6 5* overall (yeah, I track my pulls.)

Computer-generated random numbers tend to be streaky - that is to say you seem to have distinct "runs" of pulling similar numbers.  I try to capitalize on that by pulling 2, and if neither are 5* I stop.  If I pull a 5*, I pull until I hit a run of 3 or 4 4* in a row, then stop.  Does it work?  Well, not at the moment (my overall pull rate is 14.16%,) but I was close to 16% before two months ago, so .... maybe?  The disadvantage to it is I tend to save my pulls until I have 10-15, so there's a lot of waiting, and when it doesn't work it amplifies the disappointment.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The purpose of hoarding is to take some of the sting out of RNG by having somewhat more control on what you pull and when.  The cover swap on Latest also makes hoarding very appealing.  IMO if you want better success you should try hoarding, but you have to have the patience for it.  I find it gets easier to hoard the more you do it, especially once you start seeing some successes from it.
  • CT1888
    edited September 2017
    Options
    So, step two of the transition - I champed Black Panther at the start of the off season.

In Pve, scaling took a significant jump, though will no longer be an issue thankfully. During the pve tests, having Thanos as my only 5* champ utterly crushed everyone. It was glorious. I look forward to significantly reduced clear times. If you have someone good for pvp and a strong selection of 4* champs, 900+ is easily achievable.

With Panther champed, pvp mmr went from predominantly single 5* champ plus 4* champ/undercovered 5* to predominantly double 5* champs with a sprinkling of very high level 4*s thrown in (60k health Medusas sound scary. I'll pass thanks). With Thanos/Panther I've been hitting 1200 every event this season with shield hops, and without outside co-ordination. It's health pack intensive, but with the pve changes, I should be fine for full progression in both.

Edit 19th September
    Panthos has let me hit 1200 in pretty much every event since I Champed Black Panther. I manged a couple without shielding hopping (still no battle chats / co-ordination).
    Apart from a brief spend on classics during the increased odds, everything has been on Latests. Unless you have loads in classic at 11/12 covers, I recommend staying away from them, and put everything into Latests. By doing so, I've got Star Lord fully covered, Doc Ock champed and Spidey well on the way.
    I don't have the numbers of CP and LTs earned, but I've been hitting max progression in CL7 of almost all story events, and my second batch of 3*s are going through the sweet spot, so along with those Cp from 1200, got a good, steady stream coming in.