Losing on a wave node starts timer early

Options
If you wipe during a wave node but you have cleared some of the waves and get credit for those waves, the game will consider it towards the 2 matches for the timer. This can greatly effect T5 placements. 

Comments

• Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It bites even more if it's not even a normal loss.
    I've had an alliance mate who got a crash during a wave node which obviously counted as a loss and started the counter
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a bug. You got some points for the partial wave, so the game counts it as a partial win. 

The takeaway here is: if you wipe on wave nodes, you probably won't make top 5.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Not a bug. You got some points for the partial wave, so the game counts it as a partial win. 

The takeaway here is: if you wipe on wave nodes, you probably won't make top 5.
    Not true. With the last change to node rewards and timers, the dev team stated wave node timers start when you are at 2/4 clears. Wiping mid wave causes the timer to start 1/4. Clearly counter to statements, thus makes it a bug.
  • badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options

It won't start the timer if you wipe on the first clear, but it will count it as 1 of the 4 clears. So you only get partial points. If you wipe on the 2nd clear, it will start the timer. Basically anytime you lose on a wave node you are losing out on points that you can never get back.

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wouldn't classify it as a bug but strange behaviour.

Wave nodes behave differently in PvE than they do in DDQ where they can only be played once.
    In DDQ, if you wipe, you can win the remaining points on your next attempt. Only getting to the point where you wiped the first time won't get you any extra points.
    In PvE after a wipe, your next attempt will reward the usual amount of points for every wave you complete.

If you didn't start the timer on a loss, people would just farm the first x-1 waves for points again and again.

If you change the system so you can only get the points you missed on your failed attempt, a particularly difficult wave node (think: final sub of the Ghost Rider PvE) would just lock you out of any further points if you can't clear the final round.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I enjoy wave nodes a lot and wish they had more of them, I've never liked the partial points if only clear part of it mechanic.  I wish it was all or nothing.  The only time I see the partial as useful is for early players (few to no 3* champs) during DDQ to get some points from attempting, but that's a relatively small use case.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    While I enjoy wave nodes a lot and wish they had more of them, I've never liked the partial points if only clear part of it mechanic.  I wish it was all or nothing.  The only time I see the partial as useful is for early players (few to no 3* champs) during DDQ to get some points from attempting, but that's a relatively small use case.
    Sure, the prize for completing most (all?) wave nodes the first time is either an event token or a CP. I'd take every node as a wave node, if they all were like that ;)

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    badsaj said:

It won't start the timer if you wipe on the first clear, but it will count it as 1 of the 4 clears. So you only get partial points. If you wipe on the 2nd clear, it will start the timer. Basically anytime you lose on a wave node you are losing out on points that you can never get back.

That does sound like a bug, then.

If you haven't already done so, please open a customer support ticket with full details, including the part here.