I'm new, I need roster help, blah blah blah

Options
2»

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It depends on what your priorities are, I guess. I have no particular desire to race to the endgame. I'm enjoying each stage for what it is.

Also, without spending a dime on Roster Slots, I have 3 1*, all 2*, and all but 6 3* rostered, along with all 12 of the current 4* and several of the Vaulted ones. Just hit Day 170. Seems like a perfectly reasonable pace to move through the Game to me. I could have a couple more slots if I hadn't spent a bunch of HP on Shields in PvP before I learned the system better, but meh. Live and learn.

You want to race into 5* land, go for it. But don't present it as the only viable way to play.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options

mpiter said:
    aa25TPF Alexis, despite what you wrote, I do not see the point to farm with 2* characters in an F2P context except of course with your fighting team.

1* and 2* levels are not very exciting in comparison to the 3* level.  So the main goal to me is to reach the 3* level as soon as possible.  As I wrote above, I tried the F2P context in a second game, and I was short of roster slots very quickly when I started to gather 3* covers soon after having a good 6-character roster at level 2*.  You wrote about reaching level 144 for each 2* character, to gather 3 3* covers, 5 heroics, 5 CP, 375 HP, and a few other things for each character for the price of a roster slot blocked by each of your 2* characters and a long wait to reach that goal: a minimum (if every character reaches level 144 at the same time, which is very unlikely) of 13*50 covers after championing = 650 covers irrespective of the number of characters you use to farm.  During that very long time, I prefer to use those roster slots to hire 3* characters to access more covers in DDQ and more quests in PVE and PVP.  You can earn a lot of ISO and regular HP in those quests.  And it is very easy to earn 2 3* covers and 8 CP in each PVE plus at least 2 CP per if you have the right characters when you are in the 2*-to-3* transition.  Not to mention a 3* cover in DDQ each day when you have the requested 3* character.

So, the slow way to earn 3 3* covers, 5 Heroics, 5 CP, etc. in 2* farming does not seem attractive to me.  This seems a slow strategy that stuck you longer in the 2*-to-3* transition in F2P because you have never enough HP during that period to gather all 3* characters.  So I use a maximum of slots for the 3* characters.

Well, it depends on how you want to improve your roster. The fact is, this game is a marathon which the goal is also on a moving truck or something.

If we are talking about spending 1 roster slot on a 2* or a 3*, the thing is there are 44 3* right now and only 20 of those are still in the token. I don't know the pattern of how featured characters are selected in PvE and PvP, but we can probably say the turn around time before the same character is featured again is like 30 events. For PvE, we have like 2 events per week, that 15 weeks total to cycle through. For PvP, there are 3 events per week so 10 weeks to go through. BE in DDQ is 44 days or 6 weeks to go through. Basically, if you roster a 3* just for the rewards, that 3* will actually give you the rewards every 6-10 weeks. Within those time, you are more likely to flip a 2* from your farm and rewards from farming is way more valuable than those. On top of that, you don't really need the 3* or the 4* for most of the PvE progression rewards. (You may need it for the final CP, but that is not something you really need at 2*-3* transition state and if you already get some, please please please save it. You can't ruin your roster more badly than open a 5* and roster it. Having a 5* in your roster without some champed 3* to back it up will kill your roster. Well, I don't know where you are in this marathon, but just in case you are also 2*-3* transitioner.)

I don't know how fast you can bring up a 3* character from scratch to champ these days, but it's probably faster 6 weeks. If you are going to roster a 3* to champ it, go ahead. Don't roster a 3* because just in case it will be featured and you can earn some extra rewards from it. 3* covers are not that hard to come by. It will come again.

Hope this help.
  • oakenwall
    oakenwall Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2017
    Options
    why would roster a 5* kill your roster?
    You pick what level of enemies you want to face in pve by settting clearance level, I play at lvl 5 for example but could easy pick lvl 4 if I wanted easier.
    Daily is set levels from what i can tell.

Also im at 2-3 some 4* and actually would like to have a 5* because there are people in pvp with **** team except their 1 cover 5* and i notice they do so much match damage and have so high health its not worth to me to attack them.

I have gotten 2x5* but they were both **** so i sold them, wouldnt mind having a 1 cover thanos or dr.strange though. I think having a 5* ruining your progression is pure old thinking and dont apply anymore, just my observations.

Also i roster a 3* for daily all the time then sell him, I get a cover of him back by completing the mission anyway.
  • TPF Alexis
    Options
    The SCL-based Scaling is still in testing, hasn't been fully implemented yet. For most Events at the moment, the Opponents' levels are still determined by your Roster, and having a single 255 while the rest of your dudes are down in the 150s will mess things up for you hardcore.
  • aa25
    Options
    oakenwall said:
    why would roster a 5* kill your roster?
    You pick what level of enemies you want to face in pve by settting clearance level, I play at lvl 5 for example but could easy pick lvl 4 if I wanted easier.
    Daily is set levels from what i can tell.

Also im at 2-3 some 4* and actually would like to have a 5* because there are people in pvp with tinykitty team except their 1 cover 5* and i notice they do so much match damage and have so high health its not worth to me to attack them.

I have gotten 2x5* but they were both tinykitty so i sold them, wouldnt mind having a 1 cover thanos or dr.strange though. I think having a 5* ruining your progression is pure old thinking and dont apply anymore, just my observations.

Also i roster a 3* for daily all the time then sell him, I get a cover of him back by completing the mission anyway.
    As TPF Alexis posted above, the SCL-based scaling is still in testing phase. The last time the devs tried something similar to this, it took like 2-3 months before the change actually happened and the chosen choice was the least-negative-feedback-received one. I wouldn't hold my breath on that. For now, the scaling is based on your roster. You can browse around the forum I bet you will see multiple threads people complain or mention about this (5* scaling).

I would also recommend you to check 5* Thanos and 5* Strange stats on the character sub-forum. Their 1-cover powers are very weak. Until you can get 9-10 covers of each of them and level them up, their 3* counterparts are more reliable. Set that aside, they both are now in classic, I don't think it's practical to start chasing their covers now if you are not already in 4* land and have a steady CP income, in my opinion.

Also, don't feel intimidated by those few covers 5*s in PvP. They are more or less a scarecrow. They are not stronger than your champed 3*. For example, if you have 3* Iron Fist champed, he alone can deal the same amount of damage per turn as those 5* easily.

I used to roster a 3* to do TBE then sold it afterward too.
  • Hikeeba
    Hikeeba Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Okay, I'm pretty lost at this point, but from what I gathered, I should focus on building up my 2* team which will help me then make use of my 3*s.  Hopefully.  I'm currently planning on Daken/Magneto NOW/Classic Storm, since I have all of them.  Stormy is level 38 and Mags is 30; unfortunately Daken is level 17.  I'm trying to farm the Prologue node that has his covers, but level 65 Venom is a bit rough.  I suppose I could swap in Captain Marvel for Daken since Carol's level 54.  Maybe I'll try that.
  • TPF Alexis
    Options
    Captain Marvel isn't as good as the top tier, but she's not bad by any means. Especially handy to have when you have to deal with Bullseye.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
       Hikeeba, have you been playing the story events and versus tournaments?  Story mode is a good way to get additional ISO and extra covers for 2* characters. 

There seems to be two schools of thought in the discussion, in case I'm reading wrong.

1)  There's the fast route, which is keeping the essential six 2* characters and work right away on your 3* line-up, with the reason being that, especially if you are not a paying player, your slots and iso are low and champing many 2* characters is too ISO expensive and takes up roster spots for potential 3* or 4* character.

2)  Or there's the slightly slower approach which using all, or most, of your 2* characters first then transition yourself into 3* when you feel you have a good enough 2* combo (like Magneto/Storm/Daken)  You also may have a different take on characters in the game as well, so my other biggest suggestion would be to play with different characters and see which characters you like using the most.  My personal favorite team of 2* characters was Daken/Thor/Storm but you might like another combination of characters, play with them all!

I guess the final question you might want to ask yourself before choosing either, or even a different, path, is "how do I want to progress in the game?"  "Do I want to move things along quickly and get myself through all the levels 1-5 as quickly as possible" or "do I want to have more variety in my characters and experiment with different teams"; which would require you spend a little more time developing more 2* characters.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hikeeba said:
    Okay, I'm pretty lost at this point, but from what I gathered, I should focus on building up my 2* team which will help me then make use of my 3*s.  Hopefully.  I'm currently planning on Daken/Magneto NOW/Classic Storm, since I have all of them.  Stormy is level 38 and Mags is 30; unfortunately Daken is level 17.  I'm trying to farm the Prologue node that has his covers, but level 65 Venom is a bit rough.  I suppose I could swap in Captain Marvel for Daken since Carol's level 54.  Maybe I'll try that.
    Ms Marvel is actually a very solid compliment to MNMagneto and CStorm.  She'll give you active powers in all six colors and her red is situationally useful, even though Mag's is better most of the time.  I've personally never had luck with her yellow, but many here swear by it for it's ability to cause cascades.  Her black adds a second attack that affects all opponents.

While Daken is very good, he's a worse compliment for Stormneto in my opinion, as he only has one active power and it overlaps with Storm.  I forget whether he tanks for Storm on blue, but I don't think he does (if he does, I'll retract some of my criticism, as Storm is a glass cannon).

anyway, good luck.
  • aa25
    Options
    Also, MnMag+CStorm+2*hawkeye is one of the best trio in 2* land.
  • Hikeeba
    Options
    jtsings said:
       Hikeeba, have you been playing the story events and versus tournaments?  Story mode is a good way to get additional ISO and extra covers for 2* characters. 

I've been playing the story events and Deadpool's dailies, but I'm skittish about versus.  I tried playing once and ended up a bloody smear.

• jtsings
    Options
    Hikeeba said:

I've been playing the story events and Deadpool's dailies, but I'm skittish about versus.  I tried playing once and ended up a bloody smear.

My recommendation for you would be to enter into a vs event 30-45 minutes before it ends (possilbly a smaller number of players in the bracket) and play only the easy levels.  Usually it's the featured character with two 1* characters (usually around level 1-11).  That way you might at least be able to pick up a token or two and iso, if you're lucky.  If you do choose to expand your 2* roster fully, you'll have more choices to try to tackle the more difficult teams.  However, I'm right there with you, it took me several days before I actually even attempted PVP.  PVE has always been the best resource for me to progress my roster, so I'd suggest you keep focusing on that for right now.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There are 2 newbie PVP strategies that work well. jtsings laid out one, here's another:

Start the PVP event at the exact moment it begins. You'll get the same kind of enemy seed teams that he described, and you'll get 6-9 of them. Beat them, collect the ISO and rewards and walk away. Don't worry if you get pasted; you will. It's not about the placement, it's about the progression. This also works really well with Lightning rounds as well.

After awhile you'll find you don't get as pasted as quickly. That's a sign that you can probably get to 300 or higher before you get pasted. And then you can go up from there, but they don't take away the progression rewards just because you got knocked down. 

As others have said, you're main flow will come from PVE, but there's nothing wrong with sticking your toe into PVP just don't take it personally.

One other thing - if you haven't completed the prolog (all of the clears on all of the nodes), do it. There's good stuff there, it's easy, and it's there to give newer players a boost of resources they can use.

• Hikeeba
    Options
    One other thing - if you haven't completed the prolog (all of the clears on all of the nodes), do it. There's good stuff there, it's easy, and it's there to give newer players a boost of resources they can use.
    I'm working my way through the prologue, too; the biggest snag I've hit is the "Symbiote Showdown" node in the Oscorp chapter.  I haven't figured out how to take Venom down yet; he's level 65.
  • Erndiese
    Erndiese Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hikeeba said:
    I'm working my way through the prologue, too; the biggest snag I've hit is the "Symbiote Showdown" node in the Oscorp chapter.  I haven't figured out how to take Venom down yet; he's level 65.
    Some nodes aren't beatable until later, unless you need it to progress further just go back to it after your roster has matured. If you need it to move forward try asking your alliance for team ups and use those. 
  • jtsings
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jtsings said:

Just to give you the actual stats on what you get by champing any 2* character.  If you just sell all the covers from a 2* you don't champ you'll get 50 covers worth or 12,500 ISO.  If you choose to champion a 2* as you keep getting covers the totals you'll get throughout the 50 levels is 5 CP, 5 Heroic Recruit Tokens, 250 HP, Three 3* covers of various characters (do forum search for "champing rewards" to see which characters give which characters) and 17,500 ISO.  And the fully champed 2*can be sold from at least 100 HP and 17,200 ISO (I only have a level 141 2* currently so I'm not sure how much a level 144 sells at).  Does it make sense from a ISO sense to champ all your 2*s, probably not.  But if you do, you'll get a steady source of, usually greater ISO, HP and Heroic Tokens and 3* covers, which for me is well worth the waiting for starting to work on my 3*s.

For further clarification, in the long run you actually do come out 5k short on your ISO with champing a 2*.  I just rechamped Captain Marvel and it cost me about 70k to raise her from 15 to 94 and 5k to promote her to champ.  I personally would give up 5k for all the champ rewards you get for leveling up your character; but that's just me I guess.

I'm not sure if you're still debating on whether or not to go headstrong into 3* land or take the perhaps slower but, I think, more productive route of farming and developing your 2* more.  I personally have come to a point that so many of my 2* characters are so close to being max champed, which means 100 HP for max champing and 125 HP plus 65k ISO for selling them, that I really have no issue with not getting 3 or 4* covers anymore.  Mainly, because I know that those 2* are going to go towards buying more roster slots or giving me ISO to champ another 3*.  So I will hit 89 days tomorrow and with very little investment, maybe $18, I have 59 slots and have champed 14 3* characters to date.  I personally don't think I would have as many slots or have nearly as many 3* champed, had I have gone into 3* land early. 

My biggest problem, which isn't really big at all, is that I use Magneto and Storm, whom are both maxed, so much I hate to sell them yet, because I use them so much in DDQ.  After so many days over sweating over whether or not I would get enough HP to roster a 3* that was ready to expire in my inbox, it's nice to have a less stressful problem lol.
  • Hikeeba
    Options
    Today I was grateful I didn't sell off my 2* Steve Rogers, because he stunlocked Hulk enough that I could beat him with only one character over level 100.  Thanks, rank 5 Peacemaker!
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Hikeba:
    I am a big fan of 2* farming (that ISO vs. reward discussion from above), but if you're at the point of the game where your 2* champs are doing the heavy lifting, then selling them would be crazy. Farming is what you do with your 2* when you are running 3* champs (and with your 3* when you're running 4* champs)..... For example, 5 cover peacemaker with 2* cap is great; 5 cover peacemaker with 3* cap is fantastic, and once you have it you won't use your 2* cap again unless you have to. 

Anyway, congrats on taking out hulk; stunning him is the way to victory; it's too bad that at the 2* level the 2 most effective stuns (Storm and Cap) are both blue.
  • jtsings
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hikeeba said:
    Today I was grateful I didn't sell off my 2* Steve Rogers, because he stunlocked Hulk enough that I could beat him with only one character over level 100.  Thanks, rank 5 Peacemaker!

Hikeeba, I wouldn't think your 2*s are close to level 144 yet?  You have to level them to 144 before you can get the most out of it's rewards.  But yes, if you need to hold off on selling a 2* max level champ feel free to do so; when you get to that point.  Right now I use Mag, Storm, and Thor for DDQ and I don't want to sell them quite yet because I can usually get through both 2* modes with this team.  Mag and Storm are both at max level 144(65k and 125 HP if I sell) but to me they work so well, I want to make sure I've got at least another Mag champed before I sell him off. Some of the other 2* characters like: Ms. Marvel, Human Torch, and Moonstone I sold right away cause I didn't use them anymore, unless they were featured in a PVE event.