Star Lord is not trash

Options
westnyy2
westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
I've been hearing and reading a lot about how the new Star Lord is plain bad. That is simply not the case. I am not claiming that he will ever be part of a meta team but it doesn't make him garbage. Board shake is huge in 5 star world. Two of his powers can cause that. I'm not a huge fan of his purple, but you can say that with most 5 stars about one power or another. All I'm asking is give him a chance. You may be surprised.

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree.  Great synergy with Baby Groot too.  Definitely pull those hoards for SL people!
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options

Who is saying he's garbage? All the lists and discussions about him that I've seen, except for one, listed him as just outside the top tier and some even had him top ten.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about 4* Star-Lord. Yes, the opinion I've seen on 5* Star-Lord is that he's terrible (I think Captain Joel said he was worse than anyone except Hulk).

• Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He's middling. Not as bad as the wretched Doc Ock or Hulk, probably better than OML as well. Definitely not as good as Bolt, Thanos, Panther, or even Hawkeye or Strange. His AoE does shake the board, but would you rather have that or Thanos' green? He's fine. Just not worth blowing your hoard on, especially now that Doc is in.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think Rhycar is right on as far as where he lands. Bottom line is any five fully covered can be a good thing for your team and to simply avoid some because they aren't Thanos seems silly to me. I see players with one 5 on their roster such as Iron Man or Green Goblin make to 1200 routinely in PVP.

Why the rant? I don't know, bored I guess. I did just see someone post in a thread about how weak SL was and wanted to get opinions from players who have him covered and have used him.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who in the heck is Captain Joel? If he is an MPQ genius probably should be at least a General.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

He really doesn't stand out, though.  His powers are just scaled up from the 3* version.  And, to my mind, they're not scaled up enough.  Sure, it's nice that his green, for example, doesn't destroy friendly tiles, but it's very expensive and doesn't really do enough damage to warrant it.  If they gave him a passive or two he'd be better, I think.

He's very underwhelming.  Yes, I know Dr. Strange is very similar to his 3* counterpart, but there are two pretty solid differences - 1) his passive is scaled up very nicely, 2) he has an active yellow that, while expensive, hits very hard.  The difference in his purple is also kind of neat, though it's not a huge factor.  Star Lord is identical to his 3* version,  which makes him very boring.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not meta = not relevant to 5* roster planning.  It's as simple as that.

He is still a 5*, so he has great match damage and can crush lower * characters via brute force.  But it's hard to argue that he deserves any priority for those looking to build a 5* bench.  If you want 5* boardshake and ap gen then both phoenix and im46 are superior.  Thanos doesnt do instant damage, but his green is probably more useful overall for aoe purposes, same with bb's sonewhat hard to use aoe-version green (and both have wildy better black passives).  

HE dominates 5* play when it comes to spamming cheap powers, and strange dominates against goons.  BW is expensive, but has three powers that all hit super hard, and can counter certain opponents very effectively.  

As far as i can tell SL's best case scenario is 5* cap tier.  Not particularly bad at all, but also not really good enough to use unless there are no better options.  That is not a character to prioritize when it comes to spending precious resourses like CP and LTs.  

Plus the release of doc oc means the 5* trash tier is growing again, so it's harder to bet on an SL buff any time soon.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm trying to limit my opening of Latest Legends so I don't get Star Lord or Dock Ock.  They aren't that good compared to other 5*s.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mostly what Vhailorx said. It's not that he's SUPER bad, it's that the current top end 5*s are WAY better. To frame it in 3* terms: the 3* version of him isn't terrible, but honestly, how often would you ever use him over Kamala Khan?

His green does around 8k AOE. That's not too bad for a 4*, but for a 5 it's just not impressive. Compare it to Widow, Goblin, or even OML's damage output (post transform obviously) and it'll become apparent quickly why he's not a priority roster addition. And obviously there's the ever-present Thanos who does over twice as much damage for the same AP. Oohhh, but it destroys two columns!?!? (mimes wanking aggressively)
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My favorite use for him right now is in PvE, paired with boosted 4* R&G. The GotG bonus you get on those opening strike tiles makes matches go a lot faster.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Mostly what Vhailorx said. It's not that he's SUPER bad, it's that the current top end 5*s are WAY better. To frame it in 3* terms: the 3* version of him isn't terrible, but honestly, how often would you ever use him over Kamala Khan?

His green does around 8k AOE. That's not too bad for a 4*, but for a 5 it's just not impressive. Compare it to Widow, Goblin, or even OML's damage output (post transform obviously) and it'll become apparent quickly why he's not a priority roster addition. And obviously there's the ever-present Thanos who does over twice as much damage for the same AP. Oohhh, but it destroys two columns!?!? (mimes wanking aggressively)

To be fair, SL's green does tile destruction while preserving friendly tiles, while Thanos is on a 3 turn CD (which frequently doesn't get resolved unless you can fortify it.  Believe me, I know, and I've tried really hard to preserve that damn thing while still getting it matched.)  Still, as you say, it does over twice the damage - Thanos' green is potentially game ending.  SL's is most definitely not.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I agree.  Great synergy with Baby Groot too.  Definitely pull those hoards for SL people!
    I'm not a 5* player, but I can't imagine anyone with a pair of 5* champs blinking twice at a Groot/Star Lord combo.  And if Star Lord's that player's first 5*, where they supposedly queue up teams of a champed 5* and a boosted 4*, then they'd be using Star Lord with that boosted 4* instead of a 14k hp Rocket and Groot (unless of course they're boosted too).  If I'm not wrong, is your quote just to get people to use up their CP?  

Unless you're talking about pve, but even so, this doesn't seem entirely like good advice for an entire other half of the game.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I can use hawkeye with coulson (regarindless of boosted or not) then starlord/groot should be fine