Wagnbat's PVE recommendations...

Wagnbat
Wagnbat Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
I love puzzle quest.  I played the first one.  I played the second one.  And when Marvel Puzzle Quest launched...  Man, I was all over it.  I love the concept of PQ, and M on top of the PQ is a beautiful thing.  I will add in that I am active duty military, and have been for quite a while, which has resulted in some gaps in ability to play which may (or may not) provide a slightly more unique perspective.

What is PVE?  Usually, PVE is for people who do not want to fight others...  Who want to be less competitive...  And whom often want to simply enjoy the story and ambiance of the game.  That is why I played PQ, PQ2, and started playing MPQ.  PVP in MPQ never has appealed to me...  Especially as your favorite 'team', will not be played the same by the computer...  And I believe we've all seen the situation where Medusa, Blade, Fantastic go back and forth with Medusa, Blade, and Fantastic.  I contend the offensive player has the advantage, because the defense is being played by an algorithm.  But I digress, as I would like to focus on PVE.

So the story chapters in the beginning were pretty great.  I actually expected (initially) to receive more story chapters, ala-Angry Birds seasons.  Every so often, a new story would be pushed and you would get to go through it.  PVE events have satisfied that idea to an extent...  But in a different manner.  While I understand why I can't go back and 'farm' the original story (people love to abuse things), I thought it was to be a "book" with "chapters" and that more would be added later, and that I could go back through them at my leisure (for no points, or a trivial amount).

So in comes Events, which bring something new, exciting, and fresh.  The events bring rewards, which make them more exciting.  Progression rewards are pretty sweet.  I think the double edged sword is the competitive rewards.  Cutting to the chase, completing x4 clears of 10 missions in 30 minutes is not exciting.  The 900 per bracket (slice) whom do it in an hour or more are not excited.  To score well in PVE, you have to compete against other players.  But wait...  Isn't that PVP?  No, because you're not playing against another player...  Or are you?  Because PVP is really PVE using someone else's roster...  So isn't PVE just PVP using a PVE roster?

Point is, those of us whom enjoy PVE for the story and the experience, are not enjoying these SCL changes, going up against 5* rosters of people who just wanted to level a character when we still need the covers, and the pressure of having to press through FIVE clears now to get the PVE progression.  I don't have to read a story 5 times to 'get it'.  I don't want to have to compete to get 'fair' rewards in PVE.

Problem:  PVE is more competitive than some players desire.
Recommendation:  Make PVE brackets with 'fair' progression rewards and no placement rewards.  I would wager a fair number of 40-60% of whatever the max placement reward is, for those whom want to enjoy the story.

Problem:  FIVE clears required for max progression rewards dissuade casual players.
Recommendation:  Reduce the number to what it was (four) or less, and add more rewards into the event for those whom wish to pursue them.  Consider adding more 'higher end' rewards at end of story in 1-clear tidbits.  This is already done to some capacity, but not as much as I think it could or should be.

Problem:  Repetitive Events.
Recommendation:  Add more PVE content like the "PROLOGUE".  Continue running events, but add new prologue style events that do not disappear.  You can also charge HP, CP, or $$$ to 'unlock' the new story if desired.  

Problem: ISO Hungry (pun intended).
Recommendation:  Add a converter for HP and CP into ISO...  And maybe vice-versa.  If 2800 HP gets me a 10-pack, which yields a 25% chance of a 3* and a 7% chance of a 4*...  That would average to approx 2000-3000 ISO if I sold them all.  However, in the store, $20 = 2900 HP or 13.2K ISO.  So why can I not convert 2900 HP into 13k or even 10k iso?  Seems like a simple fix.  In Wargaming.net games, you need to spend premium (usually cash bought) currency to enable the conversion.  I would be open to seeing 1 CP and 10HP to convert into 100 ISO, drawing down both pools, but giving the player something they need.  There would need to be sliders and and a "confirm" button...  But I think it would be a win win for all.

Problem: Duplicate covers.
Recommendation:  I have drawn about 12 excess RIRI covers and it is driving me nuts.  12k ISO is not adequate.  I do feel that if I were offered a 'heroic' or 'event' token for my duplicate, I would be much happier.  While I understand I would likely get something worth less ISO, spending or using 20CP, 25CP, or an LT token and getting something you can not use is infuriating (ala Mr Rage from Mystery Men).  A simple popup "You can not use this cover, would you like to trade it for a *** token instead?" would be pretty amazing to me.

-----

So that's all.  I would be at day 1000ish, except two seven month deployments overseas and a bunch of other operational stuff preventing me from playing for large chunks of time.  Aside from RL and the issues above, I still really enjoy MPQ, I still VIP every month...  But I think more can be done to appease those pursuing casual PVE while still letting the super-uber-competative guys who have 10 disposable hours every day get their game on too.

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank You for your service. It is truly appreciated.

Now to your point. Ignore the placement rewards and just play "PVE". Do your clears to get the XP and whatever progression you want to get to. Whatever placement rewards you get consider it gravy.

Don't even look at your placement and play at your leisure. Now you are not competing.