The Current Meta

Options

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I try not to post on quotes but the website doesn't work too well with mobile phones. Sometimes it posts in white other times is snaps up to the Grey section. Really annoying. 

It happens to me too.

I found a way to avoid it though - the very first thing you need to do is enter one or two line breaks to separate your response by an extra line or two from the quote block. Once you do that, it won't get automagically sucked into the quote anymore. 

Good to know! Thanks
  • DyingLegend
    Options
    Skrofa said:
    In pvp SIM I used Medusa a lot once I had champed her! Especially with wasp and carol.
    When I champed coulson I used him instead of medusa in my wasp carol team.
    Then, I champed cnd and I sometimes switch wasp with them.

My point is that is your title suggests, this is the current meta. Sure, you are going to be seeing a lot of medusa because she can be a detterant (especially with carnage and mr f.) Most people though will actually move on as more champs come and more interesting team ups are created

I don't think the community will be moving away from Medusa anytime soon. She works well with almost everyone and her ability to heal is extremely beneficial. I don't think I've seen a single simulator match with agent coulson in it. The above teams I listed can be considered the current meta right now. I'm sure once g4mora and grocket become more prevalent they will bump out maybe Carol, wasp or bl4de, but I will be bet the Medusa will stay in the mix for a lengthy amount of time until a new healer that is stronger is released. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love to need to face a team of three 4*s. Back when I was a solid 4* player, I could hit 2000 easily in PVP sim. Now that I'm a 5* player, I no longer can, because the 5* teams I face are just too tough, and then I realize that I'm not interested in winning one more 4* anyway, so I just give up.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Skrofa said:
    In pvp SIM I used Medusa a lot once I had champed her! Especially with wasp and carol.

My point is that is your title suggests, this is the current meta. Sure, you are going to be seeing a lot of medusa because she can be a detterant (especially with carnage and mr f.) Most people though will actually move on as more champs come and more interesting team ups are created

I don't think the community will be moving away from Medusa anytime soon. She works well with almost everyone and her ability to heal is extremely beneficial. I don't think I've seen a single simulator match with agent coulson in it. The above teams I listed can be considered the current meta right now. I'm sure once g4mora and grocket become more prevalent they will bump out maybe Carol, wasp or bl4de, but I will be bet the Medusa will stay in the mix for a lengthy amount of time until a new healer that is stronger is released. 

I didn't say that people will stop using her altogether. I just implied that they might use her less and less much like I did. At the moment I only use her when the enemy team has medusa or another special tiles creator. If not, I go with coulson. I like him a lot, especially with wasp and carol. That team is a powerhouse with ap steal, ap generation and buffing. One can't really ask for more. With Wasp's protect tile out you won't need much healing anyway.

Now, back to the original question...
    I don't really mind the meta at the moment, but only because I am on par with it. I've got all the latest go-to 4* champed at the moment except grocket. If the latest 4* were weaker than the old ones I would be at a very tight spot because the only "old" characters I got champed are peggy and xfw. No rulk, no iceman
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    I would love to need to face a team of three 4*s. Back when I was a solid 4* player, I could hit 2000 easily in PVP sim. Now that I'm a 5* player, I no longer can, because the 5* teams I face are just too tough, and then I realize that I'm not interested in winning one more 4* anyway, so I just give up.
    I agree it was easier with 4* than 5* since you could run those cheesy im40/etc/etc teams that aren't good on defense but just steamroll almost anything. In a similar vein, since defense isn't super important to hitting 2000, have you tried 2 5s and XFDP? XFDP passive will trigger every turn against champed 5s and you'll be taking large chunks out of your opponent. Also Peggy and Bobby both work pretty well even against 5s since they have a good stun. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can see a role for 4* r&g in the current meta.  He has free strikes (always good) and a permanent CD (hello coulson, new drax, carol, he, etc!).  But do people really think 4* gamora will be a meta character?  Her red is **** and her black passive is unreliable at best.  Are her stun and purple special tile generation good enough to earn her a spot in the meta?
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's been like this for a while now.  Last season was like this too.

It's because of vaulting and hoarding.

The game has slowly evolved to the point where people can hoard a lot of resources to great effect, but then vaulting happened, so people are stuck using those resources only to get the latest 4*s.

D3's recent 4* designs has been good and passive heavy, so we've been getting lots of Medusa, Carol, Blade, and Peggy combos.  Medusa is a total pain to deal with, hence people using her for defense.
  • DyingLegend
    Options
    Skrofa said:
    Skrofa said:

I didn't say that people will stop using her altogether. I just implied that they might use her less and less much like I did. At the moment I only use her when the enemy team has medusa or another special tiles creator. If not, I go with coulson. I like him a lot, especially with wasp and carol. That team is a powerhouse with ap steal, ap generation and buffing. One can't really ask for more. With Wasp's protect tile out you won't need much healing anyway.

Now, back to the original question...
    I don't really mind the meta at the moment, but only because I am on par with it. I've got all the latest go-to 4* champed at the moment except grocket. If the latest 4* were weaker than the old ones I would be at a very tight spot because the only "old" characters I got champed are peggy and xfw. No rulk, no iceman
    I gotcha

My problem was that I was almost at a 4 star transition prior to vaulting. When that happened alot of my 4 stars I could no longer earn covers for from tokens so it put me right back into a 3 star heavy roster.  I just starting to earn the latest and greatest. The problem I hit was I invested so much into older characters that I can't part with them and I cant earn the new characters fast enough to compete at high level pvp or pve. That's the tough spot I'm in as half my roster can't be earned other than events and bonus heroes and  they are mostly 229 and 209 vintage 4 stars. Sometimes I get lucky and hit 900 in pvp due to boosted characters. 
  • DyingLegend
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    I can see a role for 4* r&g in the current meta.  He has free strikes (always good) and a permanent CD (hello coulson, new drax, carol, he, etc!).  But do people really think 4* gamora will be a meta character?  Her red is tinykitty and her black passive is unreliable at best.  Are her stun and purple special tile generation good enough to earn her a spot in the meta?

4* gamora right now Is a sleeper. She Is rather strong though, even though she doesn't look it. But her insta kill requirement is all purple must be friendly. Let's say you pair her up with spiderman 3 star. Game starts 4 purple on the board, match 3 now there is one purple defense tile on board. Npc makes their turn and no purple drops down on the board. Start of next turn she insta kills someone as all purple are friendly. That's pretty good, granted that won't happen all the time, but still. Also all her abilities feed her insta kill passive. 
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    ***Moving this over to Tips and Guides as it's talking about the 4* PvP meta and ways to play within it.***
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    I can see a role for 4* r&g in the current meta.  He has free strikes (always good) and a permanent CD (hello coulson, new drax, carol, he, etc!).  But do people really think 4* gamora will be a meta character?  Her red is tinykitty and her black passive is unreliable at best.  Are her stun and purple special tile generation good enough to earn her a spot in the meta?

4* gamora right now Is a sleeper. She Is rather strong though, even though she doesn't look it. But her insta kill requirement is all purple must be friendly. Let's say you pair her up with spiderman 3 star. Game starts 4 purple on the board, match 3 now there is one purple defense tile on board. Npc makes their turn and no purple drops down on the board. Start of next turn she insta kills someone as all purple are friendly. That's pretty good, granted that won't happen all the time, but still. Also all her abilities feed her insta kill passive. 
    I pulled my hoard at the start of this season, so I've been playing with both grocket and g4mora. Gamora's red is not great, but the two of them together are amazing. 7 strong swords to start, ability to create a bunch of extra swords and fists, and a 6ap stun for 2 characters that creates extra special tiles, plus the ability to get an extra free random move each turn that generates AP, all go together extremely well. Add the always present Medusa and they're kind of evil. (Not to mention shaved about 1/3 off of my PvE time.) Gamora's instakill is a perk though, not a strategy, though it happens often enough if you control the board correctly that it's worth mentioning (taking out a champ 5nos with it just feels soooo good). 

There's my admittedly pvp-weak analysis, but I do think both of the guardians are going to be seen quite a bit in the future. 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reads posts. Reads them again. Sees no mention of 99% of all teams being Thanos/Panther. 

Hmmmm. Guess there are different meta for different players. Guess that's MMR for you. Wonder if there are 3star players complaining somewhere about CageFist or 2star players about MagStorm or Daken/Wolverine.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

Not to be trite, but if using a 4* character to best effect requires playing her with 3* spidey or 2* bullseye, then that character is not relevant to the pvp meta-game.  It might be a nice combo to try on tricky pve nodes, but it will be suicide in pvp.
  • DyingLegend
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Vhailorx said:

Not to be trite, but if using a 4* character to best effect requires playing her with 3* spidey or 2* bullseye, then that character is not relevant to the pvp meta-game.  It might be a nice combo to try on tricky pve nodes, but it will be suicide in pvp.

Oh I just couldnt think if anyone off the top of my head. Antman may mesh well with gamora if you can get rid of hit trap tile or does that count as a friendly tile? 
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Her power set is very similar to Nova just in a different color set. She may not open a new meta like Carol or 4Groot, but she definitely has a place special tiles expert department, imo.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2017
    Options
    aa25 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Her power set is very similar to Nova just in a different color set. She may not open a new meta like Carol or 4Groot, but she definitely has a place special tiles expert department, imo.
    An interesting comparison.  I absolutely love nova, and have since i first read his details pre-release.  3 powers that cost 8 or less, all make strong strike tiles, plus a mix of direct damage and enemy disablement (quasi-stun).  

Gamora's stun definitely has similar value to nova red.  But i don't know about her other two powers.  Her red is worse than anything nova has.  And her black is. . .i dunno.  It's pricer than any of nova's powers, but not by much.  It makes a lot of pretty strong tiles, but does no direct damage (and it has the hard-to-value-passive).  

Huh, i will have to think about it some more, but maybe i need to adjust my expectations for her up a bit.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Vhailorx said:

Have we forgot IM40? He maybe a 3*, but I think Iceman, Peggy, and 4thor just got offended
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2017
    Options
    FokaiHI said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Vhailorx said:

Have we forgot IM40? He maybe a 3*, but I think Iceman, Peggy, and 4thor just got offended
    (1) im40 != 3* spidey, or 2* bullseye; he's kind of insulted by the comparison. . .
    (2) even im40 + 4* teams are getting risky above 700 these days.  4* champs and 5*s feast on anything with less than 20k.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nah. I demolish Cardusa with C4ge+Hobo+third character (I use Medusa, usually but Wasp also works, want to try Carol when she's championed). Seeing the same team again and again? Well, try to find a different team to counter them, that is the challenge. Once you find your team, you would be glad people only field the teams that you have perfected your counter against.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Why does c4ge + 4* iron fist work well against cardusa?  Cage's tiles dont proc unless the ai casts something, but cardusa's strength is passive ap gen.  Do you just use cage yellow to smash through medusa's healing?