DesertTortoise's 4-Star Tier List: Discord/Community Contributed

Options
DesertTortoise
DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
In a previous thread, I brought up the differences between not only the 3-star and 4-star tiers but the differences within the 4-star tier when characters are boosted. I was encouraged to give a little feedback on how the dynamics of 4-star boosting would change how I would 'rank' characters or how I'd divvy them up but I didn't want to just throw characters into buckets and leave it up to the users to figure out. 

Here's my work in progress tier list:

Some notes:

• This list was a group effort with the input from a number of our members on the Discord channel. I encourage everyone to jump on who wants to contribute in one way or another.
  • Like all lists, there will certainly be some disagreements and I'm more than happy to hear feedback. The placement of a lot of characters were discussed at great length and I am more than happy to defer to others who make a convincing case.
  • The list is mostly conservative, I know there's a lot of people who think the Top Tier is a bit lonely but I hope to justify why those character set themselves above the rest in their descriptions. The goal is less to divide up the 4-star tier into groups of one better than the other, it's to answer two questions about each character: are they useful when boosted and do they have uses when they aren't?
  • The tier list itself is alphabetical, I think ranking beyond putting them in these buckets can get messy.
  • I am very interested in feedback and who you would like to see 'covered' next. PM me or let me know on Discord if you think there's anything I've missed or you'd like me to cover.
  • There's a good chance there's a lot of grammatical errors and typos of which I'm particularly sensitive to so I apologize in advance!
I know we've got a lot of tier lists out there and I'm hoping this provides something a bit different. I plan on adding a character or two a day but didn't really want to dive too deep before I asked for feedback from the community.

Thanks for taking the time to read and review what I've helped make!

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looking good so far. I think you're trying to say that Fist of Khonshu gives the enemy "trivial" attack tiles, not menial ones. :)
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAT LEVEL OF DETAIL, THO.

Yeah, I can personally attest that a numbered ranking of every character is pretty tough to nail. Tiers is probably the way to go, though I'd probably put one or two more characters up at the top, personally (Nova, Jean Grey and Bl4de are all candidates).

I wouldn't mind writing one or two of these, if you need more contributions.
  • DesertTortoise
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Jarvind Your list was a true inspiration for me, I found it much more helpful than low information tier lists and dislike the premise that the 4-star tier's 40th best character is just a champ reward sponge. It's a tier with a lot of nuance with few duds, but virtually everyone has a role worth discussing. If you're interested absolutely let me know! My roster is in my signature and I'm trying to out-source the champions I don't have.  
  • DesertTortoise
    Options
    I've updated this with a tier in between Top and Secondary based on feedback from here and Discord. I do fear that by putting the Tetiary tier a bit lower it makes it seem like those characters aren't worth playing/champing but I hope it's clear that's not the case.

I couldn't quite justify Jean or Nova just yet, @Jarvind , but they're definitely next in. You're also going to hate where I put Sandman based on your list!
  • Khartmann
    Khartmann Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hey, your tier list is amazing and very detailed. Congratulations on your great work.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Obviously when transitioning to any tier, you try to prioritize the better characters.  I now have over half the 4* tier champed (33/57).  Out of curiosity I wanted to see how many of each tier I have champed.

Top: 4/4 (100%)

Primary: 5/6 (83%)

Secondary: 16/23 (69.5%)

Tertiary: 7/19 (36.8%)

Bottom: 1/4 (25%)

Glad to see the percentages steadily drop as I move from top to bottom.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I also want to say, I don’t understand how Vulture is not top tier. IM40 is THE guy at the 3* tier but Vulture does what Tony does (uber battery), while also being super evasive with his airborne, and his two other abilities are very very good (whereas IMs are overcosted).

I understand dropping Medusa a tier as she needs others to really shine, but I’d argue her as Tier 1 the way I would Iron Fist at the 3* level. 
  • DesertTortoise
    Options
    Vulture is certainly next in line to be in the Top Tier and we talk a lot about him getting bumped up. I've used him extensively and he's unbelievable boosted, he's like a squishier Red Hulk in a lot of ways. 
  • Arcane_Pozhar
    Arcane_Pozhar Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Howdy howdy, wanted to mention that for Cyclops, it really should be brought up that with clever usage, both his blue and his red have lots of potential to create extra matches.  It takes a keen eye and a bit of luck with the board, but I've pulled off some amazing things with his blue and red both.

Edit:  Also, in regards to Vulture being a "squishier Red Hulk", he's only squishy if you catch him on the ground :smiley:
  • DesertTortoise
    Options
    Haha, true. Vulture is fantastic as a battery or as a boosted character but I don't consider him quite there yet but I'm fairly conservative with the rankings that we come up with. I'm nearly done so I'll circle back on Cyclops, he's a character I think many people look at as strictly a damage dealer but his targeted tile destruction can give a lot back if you're using it properly. He still holds up after all this time.