Another I Quit Thread

Options
Dauthi
Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor

I feel it’s important to give feedback to D3 and other players when you quit, so now that I have an abundance of time I will list my reasons. These are listed from my biggest concerns to my smallest, though I would say the top 2 are pretty close…

Five Star Gameplay

The straw that broke it for me was getting my first 5* champ. In most games you would be under the impression when you progress, especially when you hit the highest tier, obtaining prizes would be easier. Obviously I was extremely excited to move on to this tier. However my first 5* champ made the game by far more complicated and difficult. Here is my experience:

• Finding decent points was random from 1 - 700 or so, forcing me to search more often, this happened especially when playing early.

•   As a 4* I could sit unshielded at around 600ish points without attacks, however now I get taken down to 300ish.

•   Previously I could also play in the last 8 hours, however as a 5* it was a bloodbath.

•   This also led to certain slices where it was impossible to get past 700 without shield hopping, especially when playing later.

• In the end it was harder to obtain both the 3* and 4* for me in PVP as 5* player than when I was a 4*. No matter the circumstances, it should be easier to progress in PVP when you get stronger.

Maybe there are some tricks I didn’t try, but why does this have to be so complicated? After talking with other 5* players it seems like the problem is there are very few 5* players, and to make matters worse they are split 5 ways thanks to slices. So while slices fixed a problem long ago, it seems 5*s were implemented without taking this into consideration.

The community has had the burden of solving this issue by coming together in specific slices, to those folks I tip my hat. It’s sad when the community has to fix the problem though. In conclusion, PVP isn’t fun anymore to me, and it certainly doesn’t help that I am going to be using this 5*  all the time, for a very long time.

Cheating

I’m sure you have all seen the controversial cheating topic here, I personally have been watching it intently hoping for something. This isn’t the first time this has happened, and it won’t be the last. D3 is notorious for not taking appropriate disciplinary actions to preserve the integrity of the game. I have seen this type of attitude destroy other games. It devalues the time/money a player spends in the game, demoralizing the hardcore who want to stay competitive. It also makes me wonder how well the game is doing if they are so insecure about losing some big spenders. Being willing to compromise your game speaks volumes.

Unfortunately there isn’t anything you can do though, other than desert the game and let the cheaters be the king of nothing. 

Time consuming

The game takes a lot of time for a game revolving heavily in repetition. If you check out other mainstream mobile games on the market they find ways to mitigate this by giving you autoplay or allowing you to play a node once, but make it count as playing it 5 times (you usually take a minor dip in resources gained). Adding quality of life changes like these allows a bigger selection of players to play this game more because they can fit it into their life easier. Suddenly you can do the dishes or cook (etc) while grinding nodes.

I thought the new PVE reward system was a great idea because they gave us more resources, even though you have to hit each node an extra time (4 play to 5 plays per node). However in practice it’s a lot more work than I thought. The nodes are a lot stronger and it really does add up. Why not just give us more resources? Why the backhanded gift? 

Balancing? Vaulting? PVE Shield levels?

While on the fence of quitting, I found myself searching for a reason to stay by checking the forums daily, waiting for some fun news from D3. Sadly I am still waiting, and don’t feel like waiting anymore.

• The reason I left before was because D3 hadn’t balanced their characters in almost a year. I came back because they started it back up. It definitely annoyed me that they skipped balancing characters this season, and already worry this will be the norm again. 

• They addressed Vaulting as a concern, but we haven’t heard anything still. I was excited when they seemed concerned, but we haven’t heard from them in awhile. 

• I really enjoyed PVE being tied to SHIELD levels, but again no word back from this.

If they just stopped their rigorous release schedule I feel like they could easily develop the quality of life aspects of their game for their players. I guess what I am saying is every new character feels like a slap in the face when the game feels broken.

Conclusion

This game is fun, and has/had a lot of potential. I bought the first Puzzle Quest way back for the DS, and have been addicted since. I am a huge fan of the marvel universe too, so the combination was perfect. It was also fun leading an alliance for so long while creating guides in my free time. Once again i’m off to search for another game with potential. I don’t know if I will be back this time however because my 2 biggest issues are not likely to be fixed any time soon. 

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sorry to see you go dauthi!

Fwiw, clearance-level-based pve scaling is almost certain to become the norm soon.  Demi doesnt seem to run multiple tests and then NOT implement the change.  And similar pvp changes may be coming too (since they usually roll out changes 1 game mode at a time).

Out of curiosity, who was your first 5* champ?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who was your 5* champion? I just got my first 5* champion recently too (hawkeye). The game is definitely more challenging now and I do agree with most of your points. However, I'm going to adjust my playtime accordingly rather than quit the game. What else am I going to do during my train trip to/from work? 
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Sorry to see you go dauthi!

Fwiw, clearance-level-based pve scaling is almost certain to become the norm soon.  Demi doesnt seem to run multiple tests and then NOT implement the change.  And similar pvp changes may be coming too (since they usually roll out changes 1 game mode at a time).

Out of curiosity, who was your first 5* champ?

Yeah I am positive they will roll it out eventually. It would have been nice if it was sooner than later.

I champed OML. My Thanos is 2 covers away, but once he moved into classics 2 covers is extremely difficult. It's funny how that works too. Every new 5* announcement is met with groans because it will be that much harder to get anything in classics.

Pongie said:
    Who was your 5* champion? I just got my first 5* champion recently too (hawkeye). The game is definitely more challenging now and I do agree with most of your points. However, I'm going to adjust my playtime accordingly rather than quit the game. What else am I going to do during my train trip to/from work? 
    Yeah, MPQ was great for my bus ride too so I can definitely see that.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sorry to see you go. thank you for expressing you issues. If more people who quit quietly every day would instead scream maybe demiurge, marvel and d3 would hear them over the cha ching of cash register that drove every decision from OLM, true healing and vaulting.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The line is 6 months. Whose betting the over? Whose betting the under?

I got the under.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    ***Off to Suggestions and Feedback, just like all other retirement posts***
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Normally, I don't care about "goodbye" posts.

Dauthi.... I care about.  Not a good thing for the game.  Wish you well, sir.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options

Please don't give us another wall of text when you quit for the third time in December.

kthxby

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sad to see you go but your PvP issues are a bread and butter for any 3* player.

Edit: Another retirement post swept under the rug.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm just waiting for that first comment, "But you're wrong about xxxx". Waiting. Waiting. Oh wait, could it be that these are legitimate complaints and should be addressed?

Thanks for the work on the guides! Best of luck!
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    C'mon D - you don't need to quit. Just take a break. I think that the new scaling system will be tested in the next release (2 days). Check what tweaks they have offered. 

I think that PvP is a waste of time but if the scaling based PvE hits for good your 5* champion will allow you one of two things - less time spent with current rewards or same time as now for being competitive. Win-win. 

And the PvP? The more players lose interest in it the more chances it will be revamped. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All valid points of frustration.  Here's to finding better ways to spend your time!
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    While I expect SCL based scaling to come by July, I can't fault anyone who's disappointment by the constant lack of communication on D3/demiurge's side

Sad to see you go, your 3* guide was required reading during my slow climb up the 3* ladder.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ducky said:
    ***Off to Suggestions and Feedback, just like all other retirement posts***
    Moved because its a retirement post? Because I would not think to go to Suggestions and Feedback for retirement posts. 

Or does every retirement post come with a suggestions? 
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Or does every retirement post come with a suggestions? 
    They usually get moved to Off Topic actually.. like this one: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/53751/quitting-after-day-938#latest
    or this one:  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/414122#Comment_414122

where you also could find this one:  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/536626#Comment_536626
    which I think is why @Bowgentle made the post above.

Maybe because people want to avoid this, the more recent "quitters" also included some suggestions or feedback.
    ***Those were all moved to Off Topic prior to Brigby becoming Community Manager. We move retirement posts to Suggestions and Feedback because they are a form of feedback to the Devs/D3.***
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why would the topic of this game itself be off topic?

Luckily the link is still in general discussion but yikes @ the very obvious things that players are asking to be fixed that are being ignored.

I can guarantee plenty more players leave without saying a word for every one who likes the game enough to post their qualms. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I find it humorous/apt/sad that one thing driving this retirement is not implementing scaling. And the scaling is being used for a new release event with no details, just 14 hours before S1 begins.  Is poor communication a valid retirement reason?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I find it humorous/apt/sad that one thing driving this retirement is not implementing scaling. And the scaling is being used for a new release event with no details, just 14 hours before S1 begins.  Is poor communication a valid retirement reason?
    One of the best reasons, I'd imagine.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While getting a 5* Champed and then finding things suddenly get harder may be frustrating, it's to be expected. Having 1 of any tier Champed doesn't make you a player in that tier. It makes you a player transitioning into that tier. The difficulty increase is probably more noticable when transitioning to 5*.
    First, because you've probably been a strong 4* player for a while and are used to how powerful they are and how easy they make things, especially when boosted. Then your PVE scaling and PVP opponents suddenly get harder, but you only have 1 Epic to lean on, and the rest of the roster is still left behind right where they were. The PVPers with multiple Epics can just chuckle, crush your lower characters, and many of them can just watch Court Death shred the one Epic. In PVE, the lower tiers you were using, even boosted 4s, go from "we can do this" to "Daddy! Help!" While the 5* is going "I'm only one wo/man!" This is going to be how transition is until you actually have a team to use.
    Second, this transition is going to be more noticable than the previous ones. From 2 to 3 is a difference of 72 to only 22 levels, with the 2s still being able to hold their weight to some degree, even beating 3* teams if used correctly. From 3 to 4 is 104 to 4 levels apart, and Rares stay relevant for a while, but it's still difficult to deal with increased enemy levels until you have enough Legendaries to nearly guarantee that 1 or 2 are boosted during a week. From Legendary to Epic? 180 to 80 levels, a much wider level gap than previous transitions, and with Epic power being far greater than Legendary once there are Champ levels involved. A PVP misstep goes from taking a chunk of damage to taking a life, and the Developers, rather than make PVE enemies scale in a way that makes sense, have instead made Muscles seem more and more God-like as things go on. Unless maybe you use Black Suit Spiderman to turn their Strike tiles into nothing. Good luck getting him.
    Transitions are hard. That's the way of it.