Set max damage at 7500

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
The tanks have high health: Hulk (9788), Wolverine X (9328), L Thor (8700), Im40 (7250), L Cap (7250), BP (7250), L Daken (7250) . With buffs, some characters can have over 10,000 health points.

With the scaled level 400 opponents, some attacks do well over 10,000 damage. That makes levels, health points, and shields pointless. Currently, the only way to survive the super attacks is to erase them with AP denial, tile removal, or counter manipulation.

Shields should be helpful against these opponents. If the max damage was capped, then a person could put up shields and rotate a tank character in front to take the 7500 damage, and survive. I've done that with Captain America versus a lower level sniper who only did 7000 damage. Taking a hit for the team is more fun than sacrificing oneself for the team.

There needs to be some maximum damage set -- any damage over 10,000 is silly.

Comments

• I'd say that the underlying scaling of characters is the bigger problem.
  • I think caps should be made, it was about 2 hours ago I lost because 3 tiles got down to 1 in one go and one tile did 8000 dmg, another 7000 to all characters and the last one was going to do 3000 to all characters I think... Well let's face it, not everyone has level 150, 3* heroes, I think a max damage should be sorted, especially because with boosts as well, some characters have totalled one of mine in a couple tile matches.

Some opponents have like 8000+ life, and attack power of 9000... And some do more than it says for no apparent reason... Hammer, Hulk and Storm I've most noticed.

I think it would be a good idea anyway.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd say that the underlying scaling of characters is the bigger problem.
    Agreed. Caps are only desirable because the devs are taking characters designed to be challenging at moderate levels and then multiplying all their values with no regard to real balance.
  • A damage cap wouldn't really matter against Daken, who is probably the strongest high level character in the game.

What should happen is that enemies should scale using 4* base stats after their levels exceeded what a player could have them at, so it'd be 50 for *, 125 for **, and 231 for ***. Remember Wolverine X Force only has 15 strength strike tiles at 230, so the 4* scaling is very slow. It'd also address the insane disparity between some * and ** at level 300+ compared to ***s.
  • Phantron wrote:
    A damage cap wouldn't really matter against Daken, who is probably the strongest high level character in the game.

What should happen is that enemies should scale using 4* base stats after their levels exceeded what a player could have them at, so it'd be 50 for *, 125 for **, and 231 for ***. Remember Wolverine X Force only has 15 strength strike tiles at 230, so the 4* scaling is very slow. It'd also address the insane disparity between some * and ** at level 300+ compared to ***s.

This kind of bizarre scaling, with absurd fudge factors, is one reason why I still argue that they should have every character in the same power band. Level 1 to 100, perhaps, and never artificially inflate them to hack in difficulty. It would be a better core game design... albeit harder to monetize.
  • Just forget the lvl400 madness for good. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Phantron wrote:
    A damage cap wouldn't really matter against Daken, who is probably the strongest high level character in the game.

This kind of bizarre scaling, with absurd fudge factors, is one reason why I still argue that they should have every character in the same power band. Level 1 to 100, perhaps, and never artificially inflate them to hack in difficulty. It would be a better core game design... albeit harder to monetize.

Actually the weird numbers I picked is to account for the fact that players do get to use heroes at above their level cap. Otherwise it'd just be use 4* scaling for every level above the character's natural cap. We know 2* gets buffed up to 125 and 3* gets buffed up to 231. Otherwise, the difference between a level 51 3* (buffed to 141 major buffed) and level 141 (buffed to 231 major buffed) might be quite small if those extra 90 levels uses 4* scaling, and that kind of defeats the purpose of leveling characters up to use in events.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the suggestions here, but a damage cap is easy.

7712 is the maximum base damage, for 141-level Daredevil.
    8268 is the maximum contingent damage, for 141-level Mags getting 13 red&blue matches (nearly impossible).

An enemy doing 15,000+ base damage is silly. A maximum base damage of 8500 would still be gruesome and lethal for most characters, but tanks could take a hit, and shields could be useful.
  • If you cap damage, then you take away my ability to one shot 300 level snipers with their own deadly shots (and, by the way, anyone who doesn't use Moonstone against over-leveled Mooks is being silly). To date my maximum damage from one attack is like 17k. 17k! Big numbers make things better, right?

In all seriousness, capping damage is just another band-aid solution; scaling is the problem, and curing one symptom of it only continues to prop up the broken system. There needs to be a solution to the PvE balancing game that doesn't require us to scale the difficulty of fights.