Is a taller or wider roster better going forward?

westnyy2
westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
I've played this game for over 1100 days. I've laughed, I've cried, I've spent. I never put much thought into the benefits of softcapping or finding other loopholes to keep me at the top. I win, collect covers and pump iso into them, over and over.

Doing this has kept me in the top 10% of the game I believe. I can compete in PVP and when needed, pull out a top 5 in PVE for a new character release. All this is about to change with the expected change in PVE. During the last trial, I tried my best and only finished T20. I have every 4 champed, 1 max champed, and every 5 except Ock champed. Most of my 5's fall into the 450-459 category. I consider my roster wide.

A taller roster would consist of only having a couple of 5's champed but at a higher level. That seems to be the recent trend with umpteen BP/Thanos combinations in PVP. These teams would also likely have an advantage in PVE as well. I talked with some folks who were able to final clear the test PVE in 16 minutes. I finished in about 28 minutes as my fastest.

So what's the answer going forward? Build 2 or 3 big 5's or spread out the love?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    The current meta makes taller near impossible if you don't already have it.  I expect unless they change the meta most people will end up with wider rosters vs taller going forward.  I would argue that this is worse competitively especially if your fighting against those with taller but either the devs will change it or not.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    In 4* land, I think wider is better.  Reason - boosted lists.   You always want to have a couple boosted, preferably good ones.  Wider gives you more consistency here.
  • Pla5yer99
    Pla5yer99 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    I am currently at around 380 days. No champs for 5 star. Having only 3 4 star champs and a full 3 star champs with a 2 star farming. I have 120 rosters slots intending to build as many heroes as possible 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taller may be better for PVP, but wider is certainly more fun to have variety of characters.

I could have set BH to increase the champion levels of my OML, PHX and CAP, but instead, I'm hoarding in order to get some new Latests championed in a few months/years, depending on how long it takes.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    westnyy2 said:
     I have every 4 champed, 1 max champed, and every 5 except Ock champed. 

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

Sounds like you know the answer...  Taller is better for PvP (Thanos + BP)  and if you're going to assume that the roster based scaling is going to be removed taller will be drastically better for PvE.

Hoard CP now, pick a SCL that's comfortable for your roster when the changes are implemented in PvE and just bide your time hoarding until you have a lot of LL pulls (300+ IMO) between CP and tokens, and like the set of 3 5*s available...  missing getting covers a few 4*s before their retired is the cost depending on how long it takes you to hoard.  A couple 4*s championed at 300-310 are just not going to be as effective as 3 championed 5*s.  This way is less fun, but more effective... "better" I guess depends on how you value fun vs effectiveness... 

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a good question, which I want to restate: is it better to have "peaks" in your roster, or have everyone on the same "plain".  Well IMO, for top competition, peaks are best, but for overall enjoyment of the game, a plain is best.  If I have a level 550 Thanos/BP team that I use to get top placement in every event in PVP and PVE, the game is going to get boring really fast and I would quit.  So, that shiny prize of the best team possible becomes my doom. 

Doing the same thing over and over ad nauseum will always get boring no matter how great it may be.  Variety is the key to everything good.  The constant turn over of characters in this game, combined with vaulting and required character matches, somewhat forces people to use a wide variety of characters, and thus avoid getting bored and quitting.  D3 wants to keep you playing and they want new players to progress quickly as well, which both support their bottom line.

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    I'm shooting for a wider roster, because it keeps the boosted 4*s relevant once they get high enough, and that's way more fun to me than just picking between 5*s.  The 5* tier is starting to get some interesting skills and interactions, but it's nothing compared to the variety at the 4* tier, I think.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wider at the 5* level, taller at the 4* level.
    I have a 463 Thanos and a 455 Panther, and I only use them on hops. I'm using 460 Bolt with 457 Surfer to climb to shield.

For 4s you want them at 330-350, where they start being useful against 450s when boosted.

So don't hoard, pull as you go and rack up the levels on those 4s.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Competitive play answer:

One 470 Thanos is probably sufficient, but one 470 Banner probably isn't.  So to me there's an extra variable in there.  Character quality being equal it's better that you're taller, the extra damage obviously shaves minutes, whether it's PvE clears or hops, and those minutes can make all the difference.

Non-Competitive play answer:

Wider.  When you're doing a casual grind, it's significantly better to have character depth to play with.  The monotony of running one team will certainly wear on you, and thus diminish your whole game experience.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    No disrespect for OP but it's such a first world problem.... I have a garage full of Audi, Mercedes, Aston martin and couple of Ferrari's. I normally win the street race against John Smith's of the world (hahaha, you stupid Honda jazz) but in the important races I see people with Pagani Zonda and Koenigsegg Agera R overtaking me. Should I invest in a Bugatti Veyron or rather another Porsche/Audi/Mercedes-like car?

It is obvious that for PvP and for PvE (especially if the scaling change is live) you need the top 2 guys (top 3 for PvE or fitting support guy) leveled as high as possible. It's called meta. When you have 2 top guys you can roll over anybody. Of course there will be counters but they won't be as reliable in the long run. 

With the way the game is constructed there is no good way to build the top 2 guys (regardless of how much money you intend to spend). When they are out of latest (and they both are unless you want Hawkeye but his combo is with a 4*) it becomes a lottery. As soon as BP is out of the packs it will be the time to try building Bolt and Thanos using Classics. Not reliable but it's that or hoarding as StarLord and Doc will not rule the boards.