Leveling up during events - scaling changes?

Options
This may be answered somewhere, but I've looked and haven't found it so please bear with me if it's been answered already and just point me in the right direction.

My top 3 roster spots for the current PVE are 4*Blade @ (buffed) lvl 296, 3*Cap @ (buffed) 294, and 3*Rocket & Groot @ (buffed) 289.
I have 11 covers of Rocket & Groot ready to add, which would put the buff @ 300.
Later today, I will have Blade ready to champion with 4 covers ready to add, which would up his buffed level to 379.
Will adding the levels before tomorrow's sub (Saudi Arabia) opens change my scaling for that one? If so, how bad would the increase in opponent levels be?

Comments

• Bainee
    Bainee Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I believe the scaling changes for the next new sub, not one that is currently opened.  When I champed my 5* Thanos from lvl 360 to 450 my scaling remained the same for the current sub, it wasn't until the next sub that it jumped up.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What @Bainee said.  Scaling is calculated (in some secret dark formula we're not allowed to know) based off the levels (including boosts) of the top 3-5 characters on your roster at the start of the event.  If you significantly change levels during the event that shouldn't change scaling.

Of course this will all go out the window if/when SCL based scaling becomes the norm.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Your scaling is set for the whole Event when you start it. I took advantage of this during a previous 7-day event, using that period to make the jump from 2* to 3*. My highest level characters went up by more than 20 levels, but I didn't see a change in my scaling until the next event.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Excellent, thank you guys! I'll go hit those R & G Covers now...  ;)
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No, I noticed an increased from 441 (after initial clears) to 444 (when I do final grinds). During that half day,  I levelled my BP from 420 to 453. Therefore, the scaling is dynamically set based on your roster. I am not able to test this again. You may try it and let us know.
  • animaniactoo
    Options
    robertbah said:
    No, I noticed an increased from 441 (after initial clears) to 444 (when I do final grinds). During that half day,  I levelled my BP from 420 to 453. Therefore, the scaling is dynamically set based on your roster. I am not able to test this again. You may try it and let us know.
    I leveled up R&G 11 levels before opening the new sub, making them the top of my roster (they were in 3rd before that). Yesterday my top opponents were at 293 & 308, and they were the same with the new sub.

I've just checked and that's where they remain, despite champing Blade and adding 4 covers for a total increase of 89 levels after I'd been through most of the initial clears and had all the remaining ISO I needed for it. If there's a difference when I open tonight's sub, I'll let you know.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    robertbah said:
    I leveled up R&G 11 levels before opening the new sub, making them the top of my roster (they were in 3rd before that). Yesterday my top opponents were at 293 & 308, and they were the same with the new sub.

I've just checked and that's where they remain, despite champing Blade and adding 4 covers for a total increase of 89 levels after I'd been through most of the initial clears and had all the remaining ISO I needed for it. If there's a difference when I open tonight's sub, I'll let you know.
    My experience was that scaling changed for the next sub, not the next event. I champed my first three 4*s in the middle of Deadpool v MPQ and the opponent levels on the hard node went from 284 in sub 1 to 315 in sub 2.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I too used to think scaling was calculated at the beginning of an event. However, as others have noted I also have experienced a jump in scaling when leveling one of my top 5* within the event itself. I did one in a 48hr sub (I leveled within the 1st 24hrs) I was surprised when my scaling jumped before the end of the 48hr sub. However, on normal 24hr subs it has been my experience that changes to one of my highest level characters do not effect scaling until the next sub opens.
  • animaniactoo
    Options
    So, in the end, my top opponents are now 296 and 311. For having jumped a character 90 levels, I consider that to be insignificant and most people likely don't see a change either because they haven't leveled up enough to change their scale, or the character they're leveling doesn't fall in their top 3 spots for the week/event.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Weird. I swear, I didn't notice any significant change in my scaling after jumping 8 characters from 144 (where I'd previously had them soft-capped with my 2* Champs) to 166+, until the next Event.