Question about thread-moving

Jarvind
Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
So I know that the mods are trying to make the board "cleaner" by moving threads to their appropriate subsections. However, it seems like even once they are moved, they leave an "anchor" thread, for lack of a better term, in General.

So what's the point? I've commented on numerous threads that get moved to Feedback or whatever, but I still find them by looking for them in General. Given that, bothering to move them at all just seems pedantic and unnecessary. Back when the suggestions thread for how to deal with the over-reliance on General was going, I opined that just nuking the section altogether was the only way to achieve the desired result, and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

So, am I missing something? Do the "anchor" threads go away after a while and I just haven't noticed?

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, they can't be commented on, so they'll drop off the front page pretty fast, presumably.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Have you tried this link yet?

https://forums.d3go.com/discussions
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I actually like the way threads are moved now.  It's a reminder of where to post, and there's no more "Where in the world did that thread go, it was here 5 minutes ago..."

I could argue against have 10+ rarely used sections, but it is what it is.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker

Thank you! I saw someone post that but couldn't find it again. I'm bookmarking!

What is the point of ten unused forums? Why dont we pare down?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017

If they really want the boards to be cleaner replace GD with this.  It's pointless having GD if everything is just gonna get moved away.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Well, this thread is still in general. For the irony, perhaps ;)
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @Jaedenkaal
    If you'd like, I can move it to Off-Topic, just for you :p

In all seriousness though, the redirect links are unable to be commented on and will eventually fall off the front page, as intended. While we understand that it may seem a bit disruptive, we leave them in order to prevent players from thinking the thread just suddenly vanished.

Once players have a better idea of where certain topics should live, then we anticipate the number of redirects in General Discussion will steadily drop.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    @Jaedenkaal
    If you'd like, I can move it to Off-Topic, just for you :p

In all seriousness though, the redirect links are unable to be commented on and will eventually fall off the front page, as intended. While we understand that it may seem a bit disruptive, we leave them in order to prevent players from thinking the thread just suddenly vanished.

Once players have a better idea of where certain topics should live, then we anticipate the number of redirects in General Discussion will steadily drop.
    @Brigby What is the reasoning for moving certain threads off the front page and into other subforums and not others? There are several on the front page right now that are no more "general" than others that have been moved.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @Beer40
    It comes down to several variables, but none of them are based on the content in those threads. It's really a matter of when will those threads be moved, rather than which one.

The people responsible for moving those threads are primarily myself and the moderators. We all do our best to manage organizational tasks in the forum, however I understand that the moderators are all part-time volunteers, and I assist in between meetings and reports. Sometimes we're very quick about relocating a thread to its appropriate spot, and sometimes it takes a bit longer.

I hope that provides a bit more clarity.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    @Beer40
    It comes down to several variables, but none of them are based on the content in those threads. It's really a matter of when will those threads be moved, rather than which one.

The people responsible for moving those threads are primarily myself and the moderators. We all do our best to manage organizational tasks in the forum, however I understand that the moderators are all part-time volunteers, and I assist in between meetings and reports. Sometimes we're very quick about relocating a thread to its appropriate spot, and sometimes it takes a bit longer.

I hope that provides a bit more clarity.
    It does, thank you for the response!
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    So far it works great for killing the discussion in moved threads.