Will I suffer if I champ my first 5*?

Calnexin
Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
I got impatient with my hoarding and decided to open some tokens yesterday, because you've got to have a little fun inbetween the grinding.  I lucked into finally max-covering my first 5* - OML.

I've had him softcapped at 375 for a very long time.  He does his job well enough, which is saving health packs in PvE and providing just enough match damage to down scrubs in seeds or trivial nodes for Thanos to work quickly.

I'm not nearly ready to be in the 5* tier.  My next closest is surfer with 7 covers, so I'm planning to keep OML right where he is.  On the off chance that I happen to draw another one of his covers, I'll have to decide whether I want to go for it or sell a 5* cover.  So what'll happen if I champ a single 5*?

In PvE my scaling will increase a bit, I'm guessing.  That'll be moot if/when D3 switches over to SCL-dependent difficulty, and might even be a wash currently as I use OML in most nodes and he'll hit harder.  In PvP - will this put me in the 5* world, where I'll only see PanThanos teams until I pass that upper point threshold?  If not, when does that happen?  When 2 are champed?  When 1 is champed and you have full coverage on a second?

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    One 5* champion will be fine, probably. Just go for it. You'll always wonder "what if" until you do it. I have three 5* champions, and I'm doing okay.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Unless you have a 14th cover you'll lose I'd wait until SCL based scaling becomes permanent.  I'd level him up to be on par, with what your boosted champed 4* level to and then wait.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    I shared my experience. I championed my phoenix one month ago. I have 30 champion 4 star. My 5 stars are around 5-10 covers. The PVE could not be problem. The champion OML could save you many health packs. My real problem is PVP. Before championing my phoenix ( 3/5/5 LV 375), I can climb to PVP 900 easily. But now I usually need to face double champion 5 stars. I still can win them with some ap boosts. I think I become PVP target. Everyone attacks me all the time. I need to pay more time and attention to climb PVP 900. I may feel a little upset.I won't regret it. Its another game level
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had OML at 360 for a while and recently champed Thanos. I have a lot of 4* champs, so before champing Thanos pve was in a sweet spot where I could cruise through with minimal health packs. Pvp was low level 5*s and champed 4*s, so 900 was fairly straightforward.
    Post champing Thanos, pve took a significant jump - top levels the enemy can have 10k+ more health than before (or so it feels like); I can still beat them with 4*s, it just takes longer. Pvp is mostly 1 champed 5*, boosted 4*, so requires Thanos every match, but the payoff is that I can catch (and beat) grills now.

The game dynamics have changed for me, but I'm OK with that, as the other way was stagnation.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like to chime in too. Had oml at 390 and 43x 4* championed before I got the 14th cover for hawkeye. After hawkeye was championed, pve scaling increased. No longer in the 4* sweet spot, up against level 410. It's still beatable but not a cruise to top 10 anymore. PVP has been tougher too. I'm now getting hit by more and stronger 5* rosters. Still able to climb to 900 but it's a slog.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I think I'll be sitting on OML for awhile.  Even if SCL-based scaling comes into effect, I still need those 4* covers from PvP and don't feel confident beating champed 5*s with just OML and a boosted 4.