Planeswalkers in events

Options
Sorin81
Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
Disclaimer: This is written satirically and is not an actual suggestion to be taken seriously.

What I'm thinking is this. We now have two different sets of events running, standard and legacy. In legacy we can build decks with any cards we want, where as in standard decks must be constructed from the most recent blocks plus Origins.
Why not also restrict standard events to to the planeswalkers from those sets as well? It seems only natural to do this. 
Using planeswalkers from legacy sets for standard events just seems illogical. 

As a plus for D3, doing this may entice more people to purchase new planeswalkers that come with each new set.

edit: added disclaimer

Comments

• julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My guess is that they would prefer not to face the massive dropoff in players that would, most likely, be the immediate result of a change like that.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    would limiting planeswalkers as well make decks too
    similar?

HH
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Color combos.

There are many that are only on one planeswalker. Fore example, white/black zombies is a viable strategy for the black node in Trial of Ambition (at least that's what I've been successfully using) but if Sorin is banned, then you can't run that strategy because there's no other black/white planeswalker.

Other color combo losses if implemented right now:
    no blue-green till the next Nissa is released
    no black-red
    no white-red
    no green-red

only mono colored black is Origins Liliana (until the new one is released)
    only mono blue is Origins Jace

The idea seems good on paper, but limiting the number of planeswalkers while the objectives remain the same will mean that your zombie deck for Trial of Ambition will pretty much have to be Origins Liliana, unless you decide to use Tezzeret 2. Your cycling node deck will probably have to be Origins Jace or Dovin so that you can use Saheeli on the red node, else you're stuck using Chandra there. I think it'd make matches too similar and boring if there were fewer planeswalkers to choose from.
  • Sorin81
    Options
    So the argument is that having less cards to choose from makes decks less similar but having less planeswalkers to choose from makes them more similar.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Please don't do this 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Moved to Suggestions & Feedback
    @Sorin81

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sorin81 said:
    So the argument is that having less cards to choose from makes decks less similar but having less planeswalkers to choose from makes them more similar.
    Actually. Yes.

Right now, for the black node in Trial of Ambition the main objective is to summon enough zombies. Right now there are 6 potential planeswalkers, each with differing strategies to pull it off, but the primary being Liliana2, Tezzeret2, and Sorin. If you eliminate Sorin for no longer being in standard, then you lose deck variety and make cards like Binding Mummy or Those who Serve from "okay for this objective" straight to "not good" cards.

The fewer color combinations available combined with a smaller card pool will make for fewer choices to complete an objective. The standard rotation increased variety because it took all the fully tuned and optimized decks and made them invalid, so now people are experimenting with new things.

If we were able to select whatever color identity to play on a planeswalker and build the deck accordingly, that might not be as big a deal, but since the cards we can use are tied to the planeswalker we're playing, eliminating color pairs will mean facing more similar decks only because options are reduced. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't like this suggestion, the less options you have to play the more players leaving.
  • Sorin81
    Options
    I understand all of this. I know the drawbacks of doing this, especially from the player perspective. 
    Look not everyone wanted standard but that's what we all got, so why not put even more restrictions on what we can and can't play.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    the gideon 3 node has plenty of restrictions. I'm guessing
    sacred cat is a staple for anyone who wants to try for the
    embalm objective. why would they put more restrictions
    on planeswalker choice?

HH
  • Sorin81
    Options
    The question shouldn't be why would they buy rather why wouldn't they.
    Putting this kind of restriction on planeswalkers would fit right in with everything else they've done recently.
    Prizes have been restricted/nerfed.
    Card acquisition has been restricted/reduced in the vault.
    Rune acquisition has been restricted/harder to accumulate since removal of QB.
    Card choice in events has been restricted.

So why wouldn't they at least consider it? 

Oh just an after thought but doing this may alleviate some of the complaints related to Koth.

Just like standard I don't want this but hell why not. Might as well add this to the list of restrictions.
  • Sorin81
    Options
    Editing original post.