Ode to the comics: "What If?"

Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
This is a possible "Tip and Suggestion", a possible "Character" discussion, and a possible "Roster" discussion. That means its a little bit of everything and I think belongs in the "General Discussion". We'll see if it stays here. Anyway:

What If... All existing 5* variants were slowly re-worked into the 4* tier? (Note: I am NOT a 5* player so I'm not claiming to know how this would work exactly)

Each "new release" cycle (every 2 weeks) an existing 5* that was a variant of a previous tier character would be slightly re-worked into the 4* tier and the "new release" would be a 5* every time. 

Any existing characters in the 5* tier that are not variants would remain in the 5* tier (BB, Silver Surfer, GG) while all new characters would be 5* until the variant 5* had been filtered out. At that point, instead of 4/4/5 the cycle would be 5/4/5 to grow the 5* tier at a higher rate than the 4* tier would grow at.

Now how do we get the 5* down to the 4* level? I would suggest scaling their health and powers back slightly so that they are clearly the new "top tier 4*s" at least based on those attributes (having actual "good" powers may not translate that way). The obvious change would have to be a level change, since 5* start at 255. For level change, take all existing rostered 5* that are being changed and assign their levels to a % of their max. A 255 immediately becomes a level 70 and so on and so forth with increases for each level to reward the players that had leveled those 5*. They start going into the packs as the "latest 12" until they've all been entered, and then the game starts developing actual new 4* again. Meanwhile, this whole time, the "new releases" are 5* that are actual new characters. 

Anyway, I think that would generate a ton of excitement for 4* players and people trying to get to that level, while at the same time giving people in the 5* land new toys to chase that are exclusive to that tier only (and also really building the tier up for variety). I think it would give everyone a bunch of new toys and increase spending on all levels (which is good for the longevity of the game). What do you think?

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wouldn't that seriously cheese off the people who've spent a gajillion dollars on buy clubs to get champ 5* rosters?  The compensation offered on the OML nerf was seen as a slap in the face by some players.
  • Beer40
    edited June 2017
    Calnexin said:
    Wouldn't that seriously cheese off the people who've spent a gajillion dollars on buy clubs to get champ 5* rosters?  The compensation offered on the OML nerf was seen as a slap in the face by some players.
    I don't know? I thought about that after I posted but I figured if it would make them angry then they'd speak up. Its not a set in stone idea either. What If?...they could swap out their 5* variant that was about to become a 4* for an equal return on a new 5*? I am assuming we're talking mostly about higher leveled 5* players anyway in this case, so with the new 5/4/5 format they'd still have more heroes to chase regularly (more money spent). 

Edit: It could even be something like your choices (in this case) are to 
    a) Keep your 550 OML which will now be a 370 OML and here's 1 of each color power for the 5* replacing him (thanks for paying/playing)
    b) Trade your 550 OML who is about to become a 370 for a 550 new 5*.
    c) something else

There's a lot more options they could do to make the players that spent lots of money not feel like it was a waste. Much moreso that the choices I've put here.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really understand what this is trying to accomplish. You want to keep some 5*s as they are, but turn others into 4*s?

What is the desired result, other than being really terrible for anyone who champed a 5* that is a variant? 

And why would this generate excitement for 4* players? If you aren't at the 5* level, it would essentially just be a slightly tweaked version of the current release pattern.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Beer40 said:
    This is a possible "Tip and Suggestion", a possible "Character" discussion, and a possible "Roster" discussion. That means its a little bit of everything and I think belongs in the "General Discussion". We'll see if it stays here.
    ***First off, Tips and Suggestion isn't a forum section. This post has nothing to do about character discussion (not one character was named to discuss) and has nothing to do with Roster discussion as it's not an idea that is in the game. This post belongs in the Suggestions and Feedback forum.***

Edit - Fixed typo.
  • Beer40
    Jarvind said:
    I don't really understand what this is trying to accomplish. You want to keep some 5*s as they are, but turn others into 4*s?

What is the desired result, other than being really terrible for anyone who champed a 5* that is a variant? 

And why would this generate excitement for 4* players? If you aren't at the 5* level, it would essentially just be a slightly tweaked version of the current release pattern.
    I want to turn the 5* tier into a tier that has exclusive characters only. Since it is only achievable thru luck (money spent also, but that money has to translate into luck) I think there should be no variants there. I don't want to get rid of variants altogether, or get rid of existing characters, so the thought is to move them down a tier (which would make them more available to more players) and basically re-create the 5* tier with characters that can only be found there. Since there are already three 5* that don't have a variant, they could remain there, or they could be moved to 4* too, although that's not my idea.

I believe this would generate excitement in the 1*-4* tiers because a lot of very popular Marvel characters would be more available to them once they are transitioned to 4*. New players and players not yet getting a lot of CP would probably spend to get to that tier quicker.

I also believe this would create more excitement within the 5* tier players because they would be getting something exclusive for their money. Sure, any player could get a 5* Red Skull, but the spenders are going to have the 550 Red Skulls instead of a slightly better version of every other tier of Wolverine/Cap/etc.. that everyone else has.

And its a discussion to see if its even feasible. Could this work if it were implemented in a way to make the people with 5* variants happy? I think so, but I don't make the decisions for the company. It is definitely not an idea to make those people mad, but actually intended to give them something better than what they currently have.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hm. Too bad pretty much every marvel flagship character already exists in the 1-4* tier.

And honestly... are there really that many players with a 550 Thanos who are really bothered by the fact that everyone and their dog has at least a few 3* Thanos covers? Do they even care about 3*s at all anymore?
  • Beer40
    Yea, the 5* tier in this scenario there would probably be few flagship characters. Is that a negative? Very possible. This scenario would eliminate all 3*/5* dual releases. But if 5* Thanos drops down to the 4* tier and immediately becomes the best 4* would they care, if they received appropriate compensation in return? There are plenty of villains to replace him and heroes also. 

Too bad this topic was modded into the Suggestions and Feeback because I think it would have been a very interesting discussion to have. Now its just going to slowly fall down the list of more recent topics moved here.
  • Beer40
    In recent news, Sandman would be a 5* character, and since we'd need a re-shuffle, OML (as the oldest variant in the 5* tier) would be now available as the best 4* in both Classics and Legends at a much higher % than he was as a 5*. MPQ offers legitimate 1 for 1 5* cover trade as compensation for those that don't like him being made a 4* and people start spending money on something that was previously nearly untouchable. 

Oh yea, these 5* that are being remade into 4* are only available in Classics and Legends as part of the "latest 12" until they rotate out. When they become "vaulted" then they are eligible in other packs/vaults/progression/placement rewards.