Is this FUN?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It also happens to you. That's the part you're forgetting. 
  • MDsupa
    MDsupa Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    yes, to me.   I just feel that it happens more often in Platinum compare to Gold.  but that's how it is.  nothing i can do to change that.  Just an Observation.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This was a cool thread to read, not because I agree with OP, but for the critiques. 
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MDsupa said:
    @Froggy  Thanks for the feedback.   You make it sound like i'm some newbie who never play MTG before.  I started on Paper version back during the LEGEND expansion.  stop playing few years after because it costing too much money and time.  I started Puzzle Quest version 6 months after it was release.. was trying not to be a repeat of the paper version.  

No, was not trying to tell you that you are a newbie. You're just new in Platinum - in this game. Was only trying to give insight into how things could be viewed in order to help come up with a better strategy and approach. I've been Platinum for almost a year now, so I'm very used to the cascade out of existence cycle. When it happens I usually try observing what cards or combos are used (even if the AI does not use them - such as cycling decks).

• Krybaby
    Krybaby Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree with the first post.the AI cheats on regular pulls in terms of accumulating mana. on average I 'll pull up around 6 mana it's not uncommon for the AI to accumalate 20 plus mana per turn without additionals To create extra mana.its become very one sided.the reason why I'm stiĺ playing ... I have faith that D3 will eventually correct the issue and make this game great again.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Krybaby said:
    I agree with the first post.the AI cheats on regular pulls in terms of accumulating mana. on average I 'll pull up around 6 mana it's not uncommon for the AI to accumalate 20 plus mana per turn without additionals To create extra mana.its become very one sided.the reason why I'm stiĺ playing ... I have faith that D3 will eventually correct the issue and make this game great again.

The AI is not cheating.  The AI has a specific algorithm to make optimal swaps.  There is a lot of calculation going on based on current board state which gives the AI an advantage over the player, but only because the player is susceptible to things like time constraints, emotion, loss of attention/focus, etc.

The AI, on the other hand, has several flaws that the player can take advantage of, such as not being able to replace creatures, having a specific one-track algorithm for card casting order and targeting, etc.

In my experience, you are more likely to get overrun when:

1. You are unlucky and/or make a lot of mistakes

2. Your deck sucks

3. Your opponent's deck rocks

4. The AI magically gets all cards it needs in the correct order

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There are a few excellent posts in the tips forum about how the AI makes swaps.  You can use that to your advantage.  For example, the AI is in love with 4 gem matches.  It will take a 4 gem match that only gives it three mana over a 3 gem match that gives it 7.  And it doesn't seem to pay any attention at all to cascades.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got lazier in my play.  Back in the day, there were times where I was clued in enough to the AIs priorities in order to "force" it to take moves into trap gems and such.  I played Shadows of the Past a lot then.  Then with SOI I think I got a lot lazier about gem board control and paying attention to manipulating the AI.  Now I'm only predicting it's exact moves maybe 85% of the time.

It's logic and predictability hasn't changed.  I got lazier as I relied less on needing to know what it would do.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would say the bigger problem is that you weren't ready to tier up.  
  • MDsupa
    MDsupa Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    in my case, I did NOT want to tier up.  I saw how ridiculous Gold was.  but there's no way to stop you from tiering up.  unless you keep using the same cards over and over..but with Standard.  You're force into using other cards.

I agree about predicting the computer moves.  I see it all the time.  Of course there's time where you either take 3 mana and give AI free 5 matches.  or just match loyalty.  Other times, you have no other choices.  You do get lucky on your side too.  It's probably all RNG because I would go few days with nothing and then I'll have 4-5 matches in the row that the computer continue to cascade and vomit their hands out.  

and yes, your deck composition helps in defeating these.  of course if your draw has 4 lands and a creature and no removal, it's hard to recover.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hey @MDsupa. Definitely an insightful conversation you've started. For the record, the developers have posted in the forum before with the fact that the AI does not cheat, so rest assured that they don't get an unfair advantage.

Echoing what Gilesclone said, the Tips & Guides sub-forum definitely has a lot of great resources to help you improve your play experience in the game! Hopefully you'll find the information there useful!
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Krybaby said:
    If you're only averaging 6 mana per turn you are doing something wrong.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MDsupa said:
    in my case, I did NOT want to tier up.  I saw how ridiculous Gold was.  but there's no way to stop you from tiering up.  unless you keep using the same cards over and over..but with Standard.  You're force into using other cards.

A very important point that people shouldn't ignore.

• Gilesclone
    Options
    madwren said:
    MDsupa said:

I'm sitting on 179 white right now. So even without new sets I'll probably move to platinum in 3 or 4 months. I only have 22 mythics so I have no chance of competing at platinum. I hope they change the levels by then. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:
    MDsupa said:

I'm sitting on 179 white right now. So even without new sets I'll probably move to platinum in 3 or 4 months. I only have 22 mythics so I have no chance of competing at platinum. I hope they change the levels by then. 
    I
     went to platinum with fewer mythics, including useless ones like dread waters. I didn't try to influence the process, but never regretted moving up. Of course top placements are not possible in the beginning. Who cares? The better rewards are generally worth it.
    I'd say it might be time for a new top tier. Platinum gets crowdy
  • Gilesclone
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm not concerned about top scores. I rarely do better than top 100 now. I'm more worried I won't be able to complete pvp events.