Please make a guide to team-combo

Options
Astralgazer
Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
There are some awesome character ranking already available in the forum. As much as I appreciate them, MPQ is all about synergy between characters--making teams that make great combos. For example, I have seen Vision ranks low in character ranking; but that team of Vision+KK+Iceman(?) in MPQ Simulator PVE event really annoys everyone to no end. It seems that Vision is there precisely because AI plays him badly and his cheap powers are there to proc KK's heal; thereby making this team a pain in you know where. Especially that this team pops up in an essential node.

Can anyone make a guide of the good-great-best team for each character? I imagine that this would be a monster work, so I greatly thank anyone who is willing to start it.

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This would be a monumental task for 3 reasons: 1) we have a ton of characters. 2) no one has tested out every possible combo. 3) this list would need to be updated every 2 weeks to account for new characters, but it takes time to cover and test those new characters too.

Nevertheless, I agree this would be useful, especially when playing a match with a required character.  I can give you my suggestions based on my experience, but it would be incomplete.  So, such a list would require the input from many, many players to be complete and accurate.  Another problem is that many characters go mostly unused and untested for combos.  For example, 3*Hawkeye is good in certain combos and situations, but 4* players aren't going to use him that much, therefore, they don't know who combos well with him. 

If you're serious about this, then I would start by visiting other threads of fun teams or threads for those specific characters, in order to know who combos well with them.  Ultimately, you're looking for a good team, not a good 2 character combo.  I think the real fun of this game is discovering those combos for yourself, then sharing them.  I have a list (mental and digital) of good team combos, but an even bigger list of teams I want to try someday, when I get certain characters covered.  For example:

Prof X - everyone knows about the Charlie's Angels team with Switch and Widow, and I've been able to play that team because my Prof X has 5 covers in Blue.  But I've thought up another potentially awesome team with Star Lord and Wasp, where you keep activating Wasp's yellow for 3 AP to buff tiles and then create more with Prof X each time.  Plus, Prof X can go invisible for even more tile buffing.  Unfortunately, I can't test that team because my Prof X has no yellow covers. 

One last thing.  Having a list of character combos is incomplete unless you have some instructions on how to use it.  It may not be obvious.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IIRC that Sim node is KK+Vision+Starlord, which makes Visions power spamming even more annoying. That doesn't make that team or Vision good tho.

I think it is more useful to do your own experimentation on team building. Most guides will operate under the assumption that everyone is champed, so they can be respecced at will. But there are still ways to utilize your non champ characters too, maybe even in better ways than if they were champed. The key to Charlie's Angels is a softcapped Prof X.

Also, people may have a different view on what makes a team good. I imagine 4* Thor's best teams all involve IM40. But I can't stand when I bring a team that doesn't cover all colors. I also don't like when a character is always handcuffed to another. And usually I try not to bring to many overlapping/ conflicting abilities, but sometimes its useful to have options. 4* Cyclops and 4* Blade might seem conflicting, cykes blue removes red tiles that you want to keep on the board, Blade will passively spend red ap that you might need for a nuke. When you have enough red, do you let it randomly hit targets or do you spend it? I like having options, some people might prefer the strategy simpler.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    4clops and Starlord is the weirdest "huh, who'da thunk it" combo I've stumbled across. Spec Cyclops 3/5/5 and just use him to generate buttloads of red. When you have 12-18, drop a slew of yellow countdowns for 3 AP each, which pumps up Starlord's punch to ludicrous levels.

Won't work in PVP because the AI will use Cyke's neutered red on defense, but it shreds PVE.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,023 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've seriously considered making a thread like that. But man..... it's gonna be BIG! There's so many characters and so many possible good combinations. And you want details for why the team mesh together?

nah man. I want to do it but I'm not going that deep. I think I'd just put a character at the head, then the 2 characters that would blend with them best, if champed. Starting from 2*, all the way to 5*. 

It it would still be a pretty sizable undertaking. 
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah. I imagine that this would be too much work to tackle alone. I wish MPQ has a sandbox mode in which we can try different teams. Shield sim is good for this but not enough.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I started a discussion a few days ago, "weekly buff list synergy" I'm trying to put together the best teams I can from the 4* buff list each week. I only look at the 4* on each list but it's a start..... Found a great team on the current list I want to try in shield sim-MrF, Cage, Jean. But still need to champ Jean