Would you like to see the Origins planeswalkers get a buff?

Options
Sorin81
Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
edited June 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Would you like to see the Origins planeswalkers get a buff? 34 votes

No. Leave them alone.
17%
gruntfacespeakupaskanswerJames13YvendrosMickleberryElimGarak 6 votes
Sounds good but I'm not paying for it.
23%
babar3355WiLDRAGECapricorn907ifsandbutsUweTellkampfObseenMatthewTheCerbuers14 8 votes
Yes. This should happen.
44%
CoppertouretandrewvanmarleCorn_NoodlesfrostIvoryjetnoctisNathanyelDumasAGPhillmooreSarahschmaraSorin81GilescloneLaeuftbeidirKyokudaistikxsThuran 15 votes
Don't really care.
14%
Monkeybat0017JopeX37CiotogwereotterFirinmahlazer 5 votes

Comments

• Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes. This should happen.
    Here are my suggestions.

Gideon, Battle Forged
    Increase to first ability:
    At level 3 - flying, vigilance, +2/+2
    At level 4 - flying, vigilance, +2/+2,
    regenerate 2

Level 60 mana bonuses: +5 manawhitepng | +2 managreenpng | manaredpng | manablackpng | +2 manabluepng

Chandra, Roaring Flame
    Reduce cost of third ability from 21 to 15

Level 60 mana bonuses: manawhitepng | +2 managreenpng | +5 manaredpng | +2 manablackpng | manabluepng

Increase health from 82 to 92

Nissa, Sage Animist
    Increase to first ability:
    At level 4 - draw 1 card, gain 5 life, gain 5
    mana, convert 5 gems green
    Reduce cost of third ability from 24 to 18

Level 60 mana bonuses: +2 manawhitepng | +5 managreenpng | +2 manaredpng | manablackpng | manabluepng

Lilliana, Defiant Necromancer
    Increase health from 94 to 104

Level 60 mana bonuses: manawhitepng | managreenpng | +2 manaredpng | +5 manablackpng | +2 manabluepng

Jace, Telepath Unbound
    *not sure here, I think his abilities need a complete rework

Level 60 mana bonuses: +2 manawhitepng | managreenpng | manaredpng | +2 manablackpng | +5 manabluepng

Heath increase from 88 to 98.

Check out the links in my signature for other suggestions.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes, but make the upgrade cost 245 gems to balance them out with other single-colored walkers. They are weaker, but they should be since they only cost 50 gems.

As they stand now, they are almost unplayable at the highest levels.
  • Kyokudai
    Kyokudai Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes. This should happen.

I wouldn't make the upgrade cost that much if at all.  These are the only walkers a new player will have access to feasibly.  I would tune them to be more functional for a new card base.  It was really frustrating when I chose to focus on Liliana early on (because she's my paper magic favorite), only to find that a deck based on discard won't work with her without specialized cards to back up the strategy.

I can't speak reliably toward a lot of the other walkers for a new player, but Gideon is who I turned to after Lili failed me.  He worked actually quite well for the purpose, and he still seems relevant but not quite as powerful.

Lili could use a tweak to numbers and her first ability

First ability:

lvl 1: Discard your last and their first

lvl 2: Discard your last 2 and their first and last

lvl 3: Discard your last and their first and last

lvl 4: Ability costs 6

Original ability doesn't really harm the opponent that much early on because they don't pump out their cards fast enough anyway.  This makes it more relevant.  Not sure what I'd do with her other abilities.  Maybe just decrease the cost on the ultimate so that you can more feasibly use her first then her last if you have enough.

My 2c

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't really care.
    I don't think the Origins planeswalkers are awful as-is but they are a little underwhelming. However, they are cheaper than other planeswalkers to purchase, making them a good opportunity for players in lower tiers to get a full collection and actually compete in events requiring something other than a green planeswalker. I would only hesitate to agree that they should be upgraded if it means there's now a higher threshold for new players to actually play the game.

That out of the way, IF they were to be upgraded, I would think that having mana gains at +4 on the primary color, and +2 on each ally color would put them about on par with other mono-colored planeswalkers currently on the market.

If we're looking at skills, many of them actually still have a decent toolbox. Chandra needs hers upgraded since life totals both of players and creature toughnesses have gone up, and Jace probably needs his first ability adjusted (maybe leave it as is for the first three levels, and then just disable the creature till your next turn at 4th so that no matter what happens, it's a viable skill). Gideon still feels viable since his ability will always scale with creature sizes, Liliana I can't speak on since I only ever use her third ability, and Nissa feels solid too since it also scales with the current meta's creature sizes.

Lastly I would say that given most planeswalkers have over 100 health at level 60 nowadays, they all could use a bump in the max health department, especially Chandra who has 30 less health than most other planeswalkers at level 60.
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No. Leave them alone.
    they can't be too strong.  they're super cheap to get new players the option of actually playing all/different nodes/decks.

if they WERE to buff them, i think paying like 200 crystals to "upgrade" them wouldn't be bad.  we still need cheap walkers for new players
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes. This should happen.
    An optional upgrade for them for a crystal fee would be nice. That way D3 basically gets the full PW cost, and new players have a way to start each color and then make them more usable rather than ignoring them (and wasting runes) and getting new walkers.

They could really do this with all PW I guess, would let everyone get to try basically all PW out and then invest in the ones that suit their card selection. And even for the ones that players don't upgrade D3 still gets some crystals versus the 0 they get on unbought ones.