Kudos to the devs on Doc Ock

AtlasAxe
AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
Seriously!

I know the character is horribly broken. Skip past that.

This is a game about comic book characters. This is a super-villain. Here we have an overly convoluted, melodramatic, serialized scheme to blow up the city. It fits the archetype to a 'T'. We'd be reading it if it were in book form.

So kudos to the devs for taking a huge risk and trying something crazy that fits with the spirit of the books. it's a complete failure, but when did it ever succeed in the books anyway?

Suggestion: lower the countdowns to 3 or 4. Might make it at least a threat.

Comments

• MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    But the artwork... Oh, the artwork... 

Best description so far: he looks like your crazy lesbian grandma (and he does! How did D3 get pics of my granny?) 
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    The artwork is just fine.
    A classic villain with a classic look! I really liked the cunning scheme animation too!
    He does seem fun to play with! Too bad I won't be any time soon

• MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Oh, it's not bad when you can see the whole thing, but the side view shot is cut off at such an awkward place. 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    One of my alliance members had a gif of the Cunning Scheme instant win. It's Call the Storm Octavius remix. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like him a lot. One thing I like is that I believe when you first do Cunning Scheme, then if someone matches away the tile, you gain a lot of green, so you can quickly do it once again.

It seems like in PVE if you have Doc Oc 5* and KK, then you can almost guarantee a hit at countdown 1 at the right level and make it happen!
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I love his artwork and especially his animations.  He maybe needs to lay off the nachos, but good job overall!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think doom's purple was a superior example of building a power that is both usable in game, and very much in keeping with the character's flavor,

But demi does deserve credit for trying something fun and new with this green.  And with some tweaks it could be quite good.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    I don't normally harp on artwork, but the way he's seductively sticking his gut out like he's doing a pregnancy photo shoot is mildly unsettling to me. Not "oh god why" unsettling the way Iceman is, but still.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017
    I agree - creative is very good.  I don't care that much about having variants, I care more about having new and unique power sets to play with.  That's what keeps the game interesting for me.

Creative absolutely means there will be a few misses, it's impossible and too power creep for every sequential character to be the next greatest of all time.  
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    I like the gut! Not everyone has to be uber thin or muscle-bound! Presumably he's exposing his gut because like most sniveling super-villains, he has terrible posture!

Plus he doesn't need to be particularly physically strong, as he has his technology do most of the work for him.
    Nah, Ock is supposed to be a fatty, that's not my issue. It's just the combination of this particular pose and facial expression.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *Off to Feedback*
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    The campy artwork is one of the best things about him. I'm glad there's a lot of MCU type characters/art throughout the game but I love that they got the most iconic/goofy version of Ock and ran with it. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, let's be honest, Doc Ock was never going to win any beauty pageants. I love the design and I'm pretty ok with the art.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    The only issue I have with the artwork is that his face looks less rendered than most characters, so it seems more cartoony and less consistent with other characters.