Samut planeswlaker speculation

Options
Blorbleflorp
Blorbleflorp Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
The new Samut has been spoiled, and will be added to MTGPQ at some point. Let's speculate on what her abilities and mana gain will be!

6) Target creature gains double strike/vigilance/trample/and prevent damage until the beginning of your next turn.
9) Deal 2/4/6/8 damage to target creature or planeswalker
18) Fetch the next 1/2/3/4 creatures from your library. They are free. They gain haste. 

W+1
U+0
B-1
R+4
G+4

Comments

• Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    this would end Arlinn.  
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's REALLY hard to speculate abilities based off the printed card because, well... look at basically every planeswalker from the Kaladesh block, and the three planeswalkers we have from this one and pretty much none of their abilities align.

That said, I think the mana gains you've listed are way too high for a two color walker. I'm more inclined to think that she'll either get an exact duplicate of Arlinn's gains since she' so incredibly tied to her block's creature type that they can introduce Sammut with the same gains and she'll be relevant. That said, I do think they're more likely to tone down green ramp on two color planeswalkers, and she might be more of:
    W: 0
    U: 0
    B: 0
    R: +4
    G: +2

I do think she'll play into block mechanics at least a little, which is hard to know since we don't know what the Hour of Devastation mechanics will be.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, I like the version in the original post, especially since she is actually playable, compared to the piece of garbage we got in the paper version. 

No, I am serious, I believe it is the single worst planeswalker in the game following Tibalt. 
  • Blorbleflorp
    Blorbleflorp Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yeah I may have overshot the Mana gains by quite a bit. Maybe 

W+1
    U+0
    B-1
    R+3
    G+3

The game needs a replacement for arlinn players. I don't even play her, but R/G needs a savior. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    It's REALLY hard to speculate abilities based off the printed card because, well... look at basically every planeswalker from the Kaladesh block, and the three planeswalkers we have from this one and pretty much none of their abilities align.

That said, I think the mana gains you've listed are way too high for a two color walker. I'm more inclined to think that she'll either get an exact duplicate of Arlinn's gains since she' so incredibly tied to her block's creature type that they can introduce Sammut with the same gains and she'll be relevant. That said, I do think they're more likely to tone down green ramp on two color planeswalkers, and she might be more of:

I do think she'll play into block mechanics at least a little, which is hard to know since we don't know what the Hour of Devastation mechanics will be.
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

Lots of people groused about Aj2's gains, but I think they're reasonable, as is the limit on supports.

I also think they'll tie her to the block mechanics, though I'm not sure how. It would make sense if it had to do with Exert, since there's no other PW with that specific mechanic. Plus, Exert is actually a great concept for green and red. I really hope they don't go this route though, because I prefer to have a PW that is more viable over the long-term. They could easily do that with Samut.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Matthew said:
    wereotter said:

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Lots of people groused about Aj2's gains, but I think they're reasonable, as is the limit on supports.

I also think they'll tie her to the block mechanics, though I'm not sure how. It would make sense if it had to do with Exert, since there's no other PW with that specific mechanic. Plus, Exert is actually a great concept for green and red. I really hope they don't go this route though, because I prefer to have a PW that is more viable over the long-term. They could easily do that with Samut.
    If we look at the lore if the story, I suspect Exert may be a mechanic dropped in Hour of Devestation along with Embalm. The return of Bolas to Amonkhet will halt the trials, which is represented mechanically both my cartouches and exert. His return may also stop the order of the plane, so no more embalm.

So, we'll probably see -1/-1 counters matter and cycling return, and two new or returning mechanics. So my thought was Sammut will be tied to a yet to be seen mechanic.